How would you price these pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davidj40

How much would you charge for these pens? They are about 3" long and have a Lamy 22 refill in them. I am not sure if there is a market for them. And please give a price number, not a formula, thanks.

Attachments

• 2ED6C65D-8E4F-402C-BC19-4FA0E61DD8B5.jpeg
    2ED6C65D-8E4F-402C-BC19-4FA0E61DD8B5.jpeg
    632.5 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

How much would you charge for these pens? They are about 3" long and have a Lamy 22 refill in them. I am not sure if there is a market for them. And please give a price number, not a formula, thanks.
You need to provide more details; are these kitless pens? What material are they made from? You also need better pictures to illustrate the work done on each model. Lamy is a reputable company and its an advantage to use their refills but without more details i cannot judge. Cheers

davidj40

From top to bottom the materials are : brass, aluminum, coriander, ebonite, and ironwood. They would be kitless pens. All are made from solid materials, I drilled each piece to accommodate the refill, drilled and tapped the post which is the top piece, and I made the tenon and screws with a die for the screw pin, shaped the body and put some ridges to help grip.

I love these little pens but not sure I can sell them to cover material costs.

darrin1200

David, there is no way to just give a number. Partially because this is not a type of "kitless" pen that is usually made. The Lamy Pico, your inspiration, is $75.

How much I price my work is very dependent on the value of the materials and myself.
First I add all the costs of all parts that go into the pen. This includes everything from materials, refill, screws or other hardware, box or sleeve, stickers I include in the package, everything.
Then I pay myself. I personally add $30 per hour.
Then I add another 20-25% for my businesses profit.

Example
Materials $18
2.5 hours time $75
$93x 25%. $23
Total= $116

For me, this is the minimum. If the market can bare more, then you can ask more, but you shouldn't ask less.

Hope this helps a bit.

MedWoodWorx

As Darrin said it is a very difficult question to answer. In my opinion, since it is a kitless model with a high end mechanism/refill you could ask for a premium price. Of course this depends upon many factors, one of which is finding a person who appreciates your skill and taste. I think the same thing is true when we talk about any handicraft that is for sale. This conversation has so many buts and ifs that could last forever, cheers.

davidj40

Yeah, I hear you. I'm not sure I could sell them for $40. So I may just give them away. I have a show coming up in a few months so I will test it out.

mmayo

Before you think about selling you might get rid of those radial scratches in some of the pens. If removed you should get $50-$100 each.

Top Bottom