How was YOUR week??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm very fortunate!!

Both of my parents are alive and well, living in Florida and enjoying entering their tenth decade of existence. They have many young friends who will assist them in any way they need, including lifting mom up the stairs after her knee surgeries. So, I sleep at night knowing they are old, but not alone.

So, when mom asked if I could make it to Florida to help dad recover from a stroke, "I'm there" had to be the answer.

Dawn stayed here to keep Exotics on track and I took my laptop, after purchasing a "hotspot" connection--plan was to answer email and handle correspondence---seamlessly continuing the business. So, after a day of travel on Tuesday, I set up the computer and found what seemed to be a dead battery---plugged it in over night to find NO CHANGE on Wednesday--took to a repair shop where they declared the motherboard DOA. The laptop was purchased in early July---repairs will be under warranty, so I did NOT want to leave it in Jacksonville. But the result was abandoning Dawn and requiring her to fill both our shoes for the past week.

So, a few customers have become aware of me being "missing". All the orders are up to date--Dawn has worked around the clock to keep products moving. But for those who frequently communicate with me, I AM sorry for the inconsistency. I will be putting additional mechanisms in place, since it looks like I may be making more trips---I try not to make the SAME mistake more than once---we will see how many MORE mistakes I can make.

But, for those who were concerned about me---thanks for caring!!!

I am FINE, a little tired and working hard to catch up. I sincerely HOPE to have Sunday at the movies done tonight and continue as if there was no interruption.

Just thought you should know.
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Ed,
Sorry to hear about your dad. I'll keep him, your mother, Dawn and you in my prayers.
It's very unusual to have both parents over 100.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Entering their tenth, is completing ninty years. Sorry if it was misleading--Dawn suggested that I change it.

My parents are extremely religious, daily Mass and Communion. They will be very grateful for your prayers.

Thank you!

Last edited:

longbeard

Thanks for the update Ed, i've been wondering about you and your parents since our last talk before you left. you and your parents will be in our thoughts and prayers.

stonepecker

Ed. Glad you are back home safe. Keeping your folks in our prayers. Take a breath. You deserve it. And be sure to give Dawn a pat on the back......she did great.

ashaw

Ed
Sorry to hear about you dad. One note Dawn has been incredible answering emails that I sent her. I think my sales rep drop the ball on one order. So now pens I thought I was going to have to do in a rush my not come to be.

Take a break doth you and Dawn is to have a period of rest.

This is the way a company should run. Reguardless if one person is missing the other half picks up the ball and runs with it.

Alan

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dawn and I have spent the last two decades (since my son went off to college) working long hours around Christmas---doing art and craft shows from 1995.

We always joked that ONE of us would be sick by the end of the season, usually both of us had the same "cold" consecutively. We always "made the show" and felt we contributed to LOTS of happy Christmases for others who enjoyed our "crafty" gifts.

Staying in the office and running Exotics is MUCH easier than shows!!!

We thank all of YOU for making it successful!

When we say "Happy Holidays", we really mean it!!

edstreet

Sorry to hear about the stroke but it's always good to see the outcome like this. As the old saying goes when mom is not happy no one is happy. We may be adults but when mom ask for help we jump and haul ass to help.

I was one of those who was 'aware' but no need to apologize at all for that.

BKelley

Ed,
I will be thinking of your mom and dad. I know it will be rough on you, but look on the sunny side they are not in an area where the real bad weather is. Hug your mom and dad, wish I could hug mine.

Ben

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,
I will be thinking of your mom and dad. I know it will be rough on you, but look on the sunny side they are not in an area where the real bad weather is. Hug your mom and dad, wish I could hug mine.

Ben

Thank you Ben!!

There are MANY "sunny sides" to my parents' story:
1) While I was there, dad still does 40 push-ups in the morning and 40 before going to bed.
2) He still kills mosquitoes in flight.
3) He still rides the exercycle for 30 minutes, gets off and is not "winded".
4) He continues to have an iron will that he WILL overcome this, although it certainly is frustrating (he was a marathon runner into his 60's).
5) At one point he said simply, "It is my job to help your mother and I WILL be doing that again---soon".

So there are many "bright spots". Although he falls, he has the reflexes to fall on his hands, yes, cussing throughout the fall, but that is part of an "iron will".

In many, many ways he IS a strong man. With a strong faith in God.

I reveal all of this, because we have MANY IAP members who are my age--in their early retirement years. KEEP your body STRONG!! It gives you a much better chance of surviving the health issues you cannot predict or avoid.

Our family is prone to finding humor wherever we can, so mom put it pretty well, "Every time I have another birthday, our friends wish me a happy birthday and add--'May you have many more!' My inclination is always to ask them, WHY? What did I ever do to YOU!!"

Aging is not easy. And for her, asking for help is "out of character".

Too bad our society is losing the strongly rooted family---it gives so much to everyone IN the family.

(Editorial over)
ed

jsolie

My dad has a tee shirt that reads "Growing old isn't for sissies." The older I get, the more this truth becomes evident.

Glad your dad is doing better. My dad had some health problems last year, and my oldest son spent two weeks out in the desert with him and my mom. He was a great help for them.

JohnU

Ed, I know you and Dawn stay very busy but I did not expect this. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your dad's illness and glad to hear he is ok and that he is on the road to recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Dawn and your family.

Lenny

Wow Ed! Sorry to hear of your Dad's stroke but he sounds like quite a guy, an inspiration for us all. My best to you, Dawn and all!

Jim Burr

Banned
Ha!! You have an amazing family Ed!! Hope they find peace and comfort. Blessings to you and Dawn for giving and keeping the faith!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My thoughts are with you and your parents! Not an easy task to take care of the important stuff - family, and also have an eye on the less important but still necessary responsibilities - business and customers.

Hopefully, your customers will understand. A present may come a day or two late... All things considered, a worthwhile inconvenience.

Also - Take care of yourself and your wife!

Mark

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Mark!! We have continued to keep the orders flowing, so our customers have not been inconvenienced.

Some of our suppliers would like to reorganize our priorities---I'm afraid that just is NOT going to happen.

We please most of the people, most of the time----when vendors try to dictate what we have to do for them--that doesn't work out well! We try to remind vendors that, without customers, none of us has anything to do!

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ed, do what is right to do

I will pray for your Dad - you are a lucky man to still have your mom and dad both alive when you are 39+ yourself. Helping them when they need help is the BEST use of your time so you just continue to do the right thing. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and Dawn.

Top Bottom