How to Tell Brazilian Rosewood from, well, other Rosewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I received a call from a local luthier who bought out another luthier, and among the booty they had a box of what they say is Brazilian rosewood. They wanted to know if I was interested in buying it. Prices of rosewood vary depending on the exact type and origin. How do I tell for sure if it's Brazilian?

Txs,

Gary

Curly

If they will give you a small piece and wait until the results are back you can send it to https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/centers/woodanatomy/wood_idfactsheet.php They will identify it with certainty. The downside is then they know for sure it is the genuine article and can ask even more. It is on the Cites list so can't be imported or exported anymore. That would include sending a finished pen or article out of the country.

hokie

It is on the Cites list so can't be imported or exported anymore. That would include sending a finished pen or article out of the country.

An interesting development occurred recently with regard to Rosewoods on the CITES list. Personally-owned musical instruments are largely exempt from the ban of transport across borders... https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species
Brazilian Rosewood is still banned in all circumstances though. I guess unless a pen also makes musical notes, it might not qualify for the relaxed rules. Oh well.

sbwertz

Macacauba is a possible substitute for rosewood and is not restricted. It is not a dalbergia, but it has a lot of the same characteristics, and is pretty easy to find. It turns and finishes well. We use it a lot at the blind center because it looks so much like cocobolo but doesn't have the allergy problems connected with cocobolo.

Top Bottom