How to put a finish on 2 other projects?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Working on 2 non-pen projects and not sure how to finish them:

1) Handles for a BBQ pig tail flipper things - to flip meat on the smoker. I am making handles out of black walnut and hackberry. I was thinking about rubbing on some BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) or using a wax or maybe mineral oil. They will spend most of their time indoors, but when I am using them they will be subject to the hear/cold/rain/snow of outside.

2) Rockler has these little (1.75 inch) blue tooth speakers. I am turning a vessel about 3 inches or so in diameter and maybe 4 to 5 inches long. Using some cedar we cut on my inlaws farm. Again, might use BLO or maybe a wax? Want to protect the wood a little from dirty/oily fingers, but would also like to be able to smell the cedar every now and again. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

for #1 - I would use something that penetrates pretty well. I am thinking that a wax won't go very deep and then once rubbed off you'll have exposed untreated wood. I would probably soak in mineral oil for a couple days (possibly pull a vacuum on it with my vac chamber) and then apply a wax finish over the top. Just my 2 cents.

Snowbeast

For #1 - try 2 coats of mineral oil and then top that with a mineral oil/beeswax blend. Once the top layer has a chance to dry a bit, a quick buff will give a nice satin sheen to the wood. And it can be touched up as needed.

For #2 - aroma or protective finish. You can have one or the other but not both. :( But if you leave the wood unfinished, you get the option of doing an occasional sanding to refresh the aroma. At least until the oils in the wood totally evaporate.

lyonsacc

For #1 - try 2 coats of mineral oil and then top that with a mineral oil/beeswax blend. Once the top layer has a chance to dry a bit, a quick buff will give a nice satin sheen to the wood. And it can be touched up as needed.

For #2 - aroma or protective finish. You can have one or the other but not both. :( But if you leave the wood unfinished, you get the option of doing an occasional sanding to refresh the aroma. At least until the oils in the wood totally evaporate.
Those both make sense! Thanks!!

campzeke

I use Craft Coat on some pens and other turned projects. I apply it very similar to CA using a small piece of t-shirt folded to 3 or 4 layers thick. Wipe on a thin coat and allow to dry for 1-2 minutes before applying the next coat. 4 to 5 coats builds to a nice shine.

Top Bottom