How to obtain a High Gloss Shine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

Thanks to all that addressed my CA/BLO question.....I have been out of town briefly but will try it when I get shop time on Sunday.

SGM Retired--
I am certainly not the expert that most are on this site, but I have made a few mistakes in my day...quite a few...and I would guess that you are causing to much friction when you are applying. Heat causes CA to set up faster, slow it down, don't push hard... something to lower the heat. Now I have read about some guys applying CA at a fast speed....but I had that very problem and that was the advce I was given here and it worked.

bbuis

This is how I have been finishing my pens. Take it how you want but it's what I have found puts the best finish on anything that I have done. Of course these are the steps for finishing wood.

1. Turn to just above size.
2. Sand through your regular sandpapers. Start at 220 and go through your 600. I use 4 sheets .. The 2, 3, 4, 6. Micromesh it to 12000. By time you are done you should be .005 under size of what your pen is going to need to be.
3. If you are using blow apply it with the paper towel now. Don't drizzle it on.
4. Apply 3 layers of thin CA.
5. Spray accelerator on and let turn for about 3 minutes.
6. Apply 3 layers of Thick CA.
7. Spray accelerator again. Let dry all the way.
8. Micromesh to 12000.
9. Apply Novus number 3. It removes deeper scratches.
10. Apply Novus number 2. It's for the finer scratches.
11. Apply Renaissance Wax.

Now this is just what works for me. When it comes to anything not wood I don't mess with any CA. I just hit it with the novus and wax. I turn it to just a little oversize then sand down to size. Hopefully this is helps you as much as it helped me when I was told.

flyfisher117

im still working on my first CA finish but let me tell you after watching my friend make a pen go pick up some Micro Mesh pads. Theyre only $15 i believe and then go from 800-12000 grit and they make the pens shine.

I havent seen or used a buffing wheel myself but it may work quite well

parawood

I generally use most of these techniques. I will sand the wood to 600, wipe clean. I then use one coat of BLO to make the grain pop. Let it sit for a short time then apply CA thin and medium. MM to 12000. Buff with Renaissance wax.

This works for me.

Karl

Top Bottom