How to make Tea Light Candle Holders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
In another thread, Nicole (simsonicole) asked for suggestions on how to make tea light candle holders.

I've only made these 3 so far, so I am certainly not an expert. While I'm happy to share what I've done so far, I invite & welcome others to chime in with their suggestions & advice.

These are fun & easy to make and I'm looking forward to getting more ideas from others.

----
My basic procedure is this:
1. Drill a hole for the candle holder with a Forstner bit (either 1-7/8", 1-15/16" or 2" depending on the particular holder & depth I want it to sit) - I like to use the glass holders to keep heat & wax off the wood. You can use a smaller hole if you don't use the glass holders.
2. Mount the blank between centers & turn it round. I also give it the basic shape at this time & put a small tenon on the bottom end (about 1/4" long & about 1.5" in diameter)
3. Mount the blank in my jaws chuck using the tenon that I cut in step 2 (using the tail stock to align the blank while I'm mounting it in the jaws).
4. Pull back the tail stock & finish off the top end and finalize the shape. Sand & finish the blank while it's mounted in this manner.
5. Reverse the blank by using the jaws chuck inside the top opening (again use the tail stock to align the blank properly). Trim off the tenon & make the bottom slightly concave so the candle holder will sit level & steady.

I'll probably refine & revise this procedure somewhat as I make more of these, but that's how I made these first 3.

Edgar

Attachments

• 3 For Mothers Day.jpg
    3 For Mothers Day.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Edgar...I REALLY like hour Tea Light Holders and how you finished them. I have several 'battery operated tea lights' and now you've given me the urge to turn a few holders for them! Thanks for sharing!!! It's ALWAYS nice to have other turners give you ideas on what you may do to turn new items or use items you already have! Again, Thanks for sharing! Wonderful turning and I wish you safe turning always!

1080Wayne

I haven`t made any of those Edgar , but on the oil lamps I turn and sand 100% of the job between 60 degree centers . I just don`t like using tenons . I usually do the top end of the piece at the tail stock , maybe because I`m right handed . There shouldn`t be an issue unless the hole for the candle holder is very deep . It should be possible to do a concave cut on the base with a parting tool , leaving a small center nub to be removed when the piece is off the lathe .

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for the tip, Wayne.

I'm going to give that a try. I've noticed that sometimes it can take a little fiddling to get the blank aligned properly, even when using the tailstock & live center for a guide - especially with the longer blanks. Doing it all between centers would eliminate that & also save the tenon cutting time.

It's also a great alternative for someone who doesn't have a jaws chuck & isn't ready to buy one.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's #4 for me - I finished this one up last night to give to my wife as a birthday gift this Saturday. It's about 6" tall without the candle.

The wood is camphor - I really enjoy working with this stuff. It has a great aroma, is really easy to turn & finish and it has great color, grain & chatoyancy.

I pretty much used the same technique as I described in the first post for this one. I'm still a novice turner, so please feel free to share your hints & ideas for turning these types of projects.

Attachments

• JLDBirthdayCH1.jpg
    JLDBirthdayCH1.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 151
  • JLDBirthdayCH2.jpg
    JLDBirthdayCH2.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 170

1080Wayne

Edgar , I realized after posting that I should have added a bit more info . I get away with a 60 degree drive center on 4 inch diameter pieces because they are soft enough to allow penetration up to 3/16 inch deep . I use thin CA on the hole after making it .

On a hard wood , I use a cone drive center . I stay away from spur drives if at all possible because they destroy soft woods if they slip , and are the most difficult to re-align .

Top Bottom