How to make acme style threads for cap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carandacher

Hi All,

I am looking for basic instructions on how to make acme style threads on a metal lathe. Also I wonder what is the correct piece to use for the thread cutting...?
Here you can see attached a fine example of acme threads, I would love to get that same result as in the first pic where the black part seems to go all the way inside the barrel.

Attachments

• llk.jpg
    llk.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 205
  • thread1.jpg
    thread1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

There are numerous YouTube videos on single pointing both internal and external acme threads. You May need to go a little bit beyond that to figure out the relationships between pitch and thread depth, etc.

External thread tooling should be relatively inexpensive, but you may need to spend a bit more for internal tooling. at these small diameters.

Bill

More4dan

With a metal lathe you could turn external threads on drill rod and make your own taps. Turning ID threads for small diameters is difficult. I've done this for normal threads and I assume it would work for ACME threads. If interested, let me know and I could walk you through the steps.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jalbert

jalbert seems to have mastered the process. Message him and see if he has a few tips he can share beyond what has been suggested so far.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/green-silver-158520/

Those are actually square threads (no wall angle), not acme. I grind my own tools, so I'm not sure what's commercially available. Besides taking a lighter depth of cut per pass, I find them no different to cut than 60 degree threads.

More4dan

jalbert seems to have mastered the process. Message him and see if he has a few tips he can share beyond what has been suggested so far.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/green-silver-158520/

Those are actually square threads (no wall angle), not acme. I grind my own tools, so I'm not sure what's commercially available. Besides taking a lighter depth of cut per pass, I find them no different to cut than 60 degree threads.

What are you using for your bit geometry for cutting your threading tool? I was thinking a cutoff tool but wasn't sure if it would have the necessary side clearance as it progressed along the thread.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

jalbert

You would probably get the best results from grinding some sort of helix angle . No machinist am I, so I don't have a good explanation of the specifics. I just trial and error it.

bmachin

If you're interested in single pointing a true acme threads you are going to need specialized tooling. Cheapest source is probably Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html_fro...eading.TRS0&_nkw=acme+threading+tool&_sacat=0

This link shows a couple of solid carbide 12 tpi acme tools that will fit inside a pen cap for around 35 bucks.

If you already have some sort of insertable toolholder you can probably find acme inserts that will fit it for the external threads.

Taps for the internal threads are fairly expensive. The ones at Victornet and McMaster will only work for through holes. I'm just making this up but it seems to me that the loads on something as thin as a pen cap would be dangerously high when tapping an an acme thread.

Single pointing a female thread isn't all that difficult. John Albert does it on every pen that he makes, and I've done it on many.

Another tooling source that is a lot more expensive but very good is Thinbit:

Threading and Chamfering Products

FWIW

Bill

Top Bottom