How to make a fine/thin partition tool...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

This has been a question asked many times lately, there is no easy to buy a partition tool under 5mm thickness, there are times where you need something a lot thinner and that's when people start to use broken saw blades to shape and sharpen as such.

I have made lots of those myself and for very small items and not too deep cuts, they work OK but, they can be a challenged and big risk when used in certain situation, many saw blades will shatter and when they do, bits of sharp metal can hit you and cause significant damage, if hitting you in the face, eyes, etc.

Using a protective face mask or not, if you need a thin kerf partition tool, look for a wood mill near your and ask for a old/broken/unusable bandsaw mill blade, these are normally 4" wide and are carbide tipped.

003.JPG 004.JPG

Cut a tooth out as in my pics, and find a piece of 8 or 10mm of steel rod, use a thin kerf metal cutting blade on your 4" grinder and cut a groove in the rood, right in the centre, about 1" or so deep, the blade tooth will slice inside the groove, centre it and weld it on.

001.JPG 002.JPG

Clean any rust on the metal, taking particular attention to not damage the carbide tip, make or find a suitable wood handle for it and mount it on. In my case I had a couple of small handles that come with some gauges I bought but I made bigger handles for...!

006.JPG 007.jpg

Sharpening of the carbide tip/tooth may not be required in the tooth is intact and sharp, if requiring to be sharp, you can do so using a diamond wheel of some sort and voila, you have a thin partition tool that can groove as far as 3"+ and won't twist on you.

005.JPG

I didn't measure the blade body thickness but from what the measurements I read on the carbide tooth (front/tip) of 2.33mm, I would guess about 1.7mm for the blade body...!

010.JPG

One of these large bandsaw mill blades are great for lots of projects, some you requite the teeth some you don't, the metal used on the body of these size blades, is of great quality to be used in the making of many tools suitable for wood work.

Of many I have made , the last ones were 2 hand scrapers (different sizes) I made and sent to the USA to a bloke that is in a wheel-chair and that makes bows, all by hand. I saw some of his videos I noticed his difficulty in scrapping the wood, with the scrapers he had so I told him that I was going to make 2 hand scrapers that are a true copy of what I learn to make and use, in my beginnings as a carpenter aprendice.

My old master, was a true wood artist in all senses, and making tools was the most normal thing for him, in those days, you couldn't buy tools as easy as you do now (Chinese hadn't discover yet how smart they are...!) so, in a way, I got the opportunity to learn the "old ways" from a master, I was 10 years old and he was already 72, I was the last person/aprendice he had before he passed away at the age of 80.

I was a lucky kid in that respect, but the old fellow had never known that I got my a$$ flogged almost everyday, for running to his work-shop after school and on weekends or any other day I could, I even missed school many times to be with this old master and if nothing else, seat there and watch him work, for hours on end.

I cleaned the shop and done all the things he found difficult to do, for some years my parents never discover where I was however they knew that had to be something to do with wood as I would come home with saw dust and shavings on my back and shirt pockets, my mum sorta guessed that I wasn't doing anything wrong or bad, while my father, the one that my bum got whacked often by, he didn't like the idea of me learning anything else apart from what he was, a house painter.

Anyway, before I go any further with this story and lose myself in the words, lets finish it here and show you what brought the subject on, the hand made, hand scrapers.
These are some of the pics I took before I sent them, also explaining how to sharpen these tools, that when sharp write (proper rolled edge) they work like a small hand plane but easy to reach places...!

The wood is my She/Bull-Oak, one of my preferred woods around here...!

I don't seem to be able to find the pics of the 2 scrapers side by side, the one showing is the bigger one (wider) the other is about 1" less. The wood looked pretty good and the closest I can find at the moment is the last pic, a shaving brush handle I made for a guy overseas....!

003a.JPG 004a.JPG 006a.JPG 007a.JPG 010a.JPG 015a.JPG

101_0445_(1).jpg

Cheers
George

Top Bottom