How to fix.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhallett

Please give me some tips and tricks on how to fix this. Kellenshaan cross blank on a sierra style. I tiny tiny piece chipped out on the bottom.

Attachments

• 20240415_191640.jpg
    20240415_191640.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240415_191649.jpg
    20240415_191649.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 80
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

If it were me, I'd either turn down a small piece of wood that is similar in color and turn an inside diameter to match, then cut the broken out edges straight with a razor blade and try to ca glue in the replacement piece and return to finished size, while using the sanding dust and thin ca glue to fill the cracks around it. Then refinish the surface and reassemble. It might not be an exact color match but I doubt anyone would notice once it's filled and smooth.

KMCloonan

Please give me some tips and tricks on how to fix this. Kellenshaan cross blank on a sierra style. I tiny tiny piece chipped out on the bottom.
I agree with what John said, but I would add that you will likely need to disassemble the pen to be able to get good access to the damage, and to be able to sand and refinish.

egnald

If you replace a piece on the bottom as John and Kevin suggested and the result doesn't meet your satisfaction, the next step I would take would be to disassemble the pen, turn the bottom - damaged area - down all the way to the brass tube. Then drill a 27/64 hole and epoxy it onto the tube, then carefully turn the new piece of blank back down and re-finish everything. Kind of like Bob Blanford shows in one of his Repairing Pen blanks YouTube videos (starting at about 5:10 in from the beginning).

It's a nice looking pen, I hope you are successful in repairing it. - Dave

leehljp

Member Liaison
Disassemble and turn thee bottom part of wood off to the brass, carefully and re-glue a like piece on and turn.

Below is a pict of how I make a laminated/segmented section of pieces. For you - find a matching color of wood to the part being taken off, at least an inch or two long and drill to the size of the tube. Then cut it thicker than you need. After gluing it on, carefully cut the excess off and turn. Since it is a small/thin piece, I would sand it down to NEAR size rather than use a tool, then carefully use your chisel of choice and take tiny bites to get it to size, OR continue to use extra fine sand paper to bring it to size next to the body of the blank and re-finish.

A note on this, new finish on areas that have been sanded usually show up as a hint of a different color than the older wood with finish already on it. For me, to solve that issue, I carefully turn (with a very sharp tool) the finish off. By turning with the tool at high speed and very light touches with a freshly sharpened tool, I can scrap the finish off and have a smooth blank. The PURPOSE of this is to keep from having sanding dust spread to light and dark areas of the blank. I, and many others have done method this with regular success. Sanding segments creates smearing of different colors of wood (and metals).

jttheclockman

I have been racking my brain as to make a suggestion that would look good. The problem is the blank was not centered on the tube and not sure who is at fault here. The top and bottom proportions are not equal. You say that is a sierra style kit so maybe there is a Sierra style kit that is a little smaller in tube length. I know the Majestic Squire is but would need to measure exact differences and you maybe able to shave enough off both ends to accommodate the difference and still keep the design. That would be my suggestion. Trying to make opps bands will not look good. You can not match ends. Maybe do as John suggested and just live and learn with it. Hope you do see what I am saying about not centered. Maybe someone else has a kit recommendation.

Jans husband

Have you thought of the possibility of turning the blank round and covering the small defect with the clip.
I don't know if the pen would look good, but it would solve the problem if you think it would look ok, but a rubbish suggestion if you don't.

Mike

Top Bottom