How to deal with pain?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I deal with pain on a daily basis. Not here to cry about it. I know it's there and I know it will not be going away ever!
I have major back issues and now issues in my neck. (I need a new Body) As of late, it is cutting into my turning time. My right arm is getting a great deal of pain from the disc issue there.

But I am wondering how you all deal with yours and turning. I do get a massage weekly. I use mostly over-the-counter stuff to help with the muscle pain and such but it only goes so far. I hate taking pain pills since I am an addict. I use THC as well. It does help.

any tips are helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

I don't have a ton of pain, but have recently been told I have what amounts to wear and tear arthritis. Message helps. We use a couple of roll on products, Bio-freeze and Solompas and they help with the flare ups. Have also used some THC cream. Sometimes one of them works well, sometimes not at all, but I'm sure you are already aware of that. I do have a tall stool to lean my rear end on when standing for longer periods of time.

My wife has a sports and medical message clinic that I have come to rely upon. I also see a chiropractor periodically to help with alignment. Experience has shown me that physical fitness is a big factor as well with managing that pain as strengthening helps keep my body aligned properly to reduce pains. As far as fitness, I just try do what I can within my limits when I can and it helps me feel better overall.

Not sure what kind of massage you receive Madman, but I can attest to the a therapist properly trained can work wonders for the body to help manage pain. Spa style treatments do not do much to help with real pain as those sessions are designed for relaxation rather than relief. I would encourage you to try and begin working out however you can whether it is walking, swimming, biking, weights, etc to start getting that core strength up as it can help.

Dusty

I will agree that a good Therapist works wonders, I have just completed a few sessions with a Dr. recommended therapist and I am doing much better.
I also have a script for Lidocaine patches which really work for abut 12 hours
It's Authritas so not much can be done but the patches give me some pain free shop time. At 86 yrs young I am happy to be able to have some shop time period.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have chronic neck and shoulder pain and have seen a chiropractor for years with mostly good results. I have tried various patches with not much success. I've used Bio-Freeze, but the OTC version seems "weaker" than the stuff at the chiro office. My sister has rheumatoid arthritis and uses CBD products with good success.

jttheclockman

I swear by my chiropractor. I have seen one for over 35 years. I have Scoliosis of the back. Born with it. My back goes out now and then but the chiropractor gets me aligned again and I am ok. I use him as maintenance and see him every 3 weeks. Well worth the effort because to me there is no worse pain than lower back pain. Shoulders are wearing out and both hurt. Much of this came from construction work for 43 years. Getting old is not for the weak minded. I suggest find a good chiropractor and get Xrays taken of the back (many require it anyway) and they will be able to go from there.

MedWoodWorx

I deal with pain on a daily basis. Not here to cry about it. I know it's there and I know it will not be going away ever!
I have major back issues and now issues in my neck. (I need a new Body) As of late, it is cutting into my turning time. My right arm is getting a great deal of pain from the disc issue there.

But I am wondering how you all deal with yours and turning. I do get a massage weekly. I use mostly over-the-counter stuff to help with the muscle pain and such but it only goes so far. I hate taking pain pills since I am an addict. I use THC as well. It does help.

any tips are helpful.a

Most of the time lower back problems can be mitigated or even solved with proper exercise, a physiotherapist could help you out. Massage is good but its another thing. At least that's what i do and see some benefit: exercise twice a week and massage every 20 days or so.

bsshog40

Sounds like there's a bunch of us who should've treated ourselves better when we were younger. Lol I get pains in my upper arm area and both my knees. I have osteoarthritis and my right knee has no cartilage left in it. I'm almost 63 and it is all still bearable for now. Just take aleve everyday. I've tried cbd cream, australian dream cream, penetrex cream and a bunch of different pain patches. They don't seem to do very good although the penetrex cream seems to work better than the others.

SteveG

I suggest you look into the psychology field of Neuroplastic treatment. Under the training/supervision of a psychologist, you learn to rewire your brain to eliminate or greatly reduce pain. It takes a commitment of time and effort, which is well worth it. I have eliminated persistent low back pain that I dealt with for nearly 20 years, including high levels of opioid prescription meds. It works.

lyonsacc

Chiropractor, CBD, core exercises.
Also, I have a bar stool - lower than a normal bar height, but higher than a regular chair, that I sit in when I turn. Takes a lot of the pain away when I turn (or used to turn as I have hardly done any since covid started . . .)

Madman1978

-I sit when I turn. The lathe stand was made to the height I needed. Sometimes I have to stand on the bowls.
-Chiropractor hasn't helped a ton, to be honest. I have lost move 50% of the movement in my lumbar. NO way I can even touch my toes. I haven't in years in fact.
-Exercising yes yes. In my case that does more damage to me overall. The fact is I am falling apart! lol with bad joints and the like, add in Fibromyalgia, exercise is really tough.
-I do use BioFreeze. works pretty well.
-As well I have a TENS unit. (I tend to forget I have it)
-Will be starting a new series of EMDR for pain. I spoke yesterday with my therapist yesterday about this.
-CBD oil has never really worked for me.

I am always looking for ideas to help. I think Acupuncture is next as well

DrD

Michael, I absolutely feel your pain. I am 77 years old. I had osteoarthritis in both knees so bad, that as a result of the bone on bone grinding over the past 20+ years, I lost 2+ inches in height, not to mention the excruciating pain. As the body ages, pain-management becomes a risk-management exercise.
You can try, and may have tried, drugs. Meloxicam a prescription NSID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) worked for a while, then had to be supplemented with1300 mg of arthritis strength acetaminophen 3 x daily; that too worked for a while - only a while. Finally added to that protocol, 2-3 topical applications of Voltaren (diclofenac - another NSAID) daily. Got to the point that none of that was as effective as I wanted. The downside is that oral NSAIDS, prescription and OTC, have more than their fair share of possible catastrophic medical events. Same seems to be true for continued use of acetaminophen. The Voltaren, not so much in terms of known side effects.
Medically - surgically, there are a couple options: genicular nerve ablation - a low pain radio-frequency nerve "burning" of the 3 genicular nerve endings in the knees, and total knee replacement. Tried it, no joy.
Many osteopaths now use spinal anesthesia for knee replacement - sign me up. This past year I had total knee replacement done on both knees. I was so used to very high levels of pain from the osteoarthritis, that I literally took NO pain medication as I recovered from those long bone surgeries.
Like you, I too have various other pains to deal with daily. I found an old kidney doctor - nephologist - who understood geriatrics, and the associated pain issues who helped me, using risk-management, to settle on some type of a protocol, and in so doing, went from over 12 different medications a day to 3.
Along the way, I tried chiropractic, acupuncture, CBE oil & chewable gummies, and a slew of other things, none of which provided the relief I was seeking. The nephrologist did agree that, using self-control, the occasional shot of Bushmills Black was probably in order.
Sorry for your pain.

Don

low_48

Michael, I absolutely feel your pain. I am 77 years old. I had osteoarthritis in both knees so bad, that as a result of the bone on bone grinding over the past 20+ years, I lost 2+ inches in height, not to mention the excruciating pain. As the body ages, pain-management becomes a risk-management exercise.
You can try, and may have tried, drugs. Meloxicam a prescription NSID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) worked for a while, then had to be supplemented with1300 mg of arthritis strength acetaminophen 3 x daily; that too worked for a while - only a while. Finally added to that protocol, 2-3 topical applications of Voltaren (diclofenac - another NSAID) daily. Got to the point that none of that was as effective as I wanted. The downside is that oral NSAIDS, prescription and OTC, have more than their fair share of possible catastrophic medical events. Same seems to be true for continued use of acetaminophen. The Voltaren, not so much in terms of known side effects.
Medically - surgically, there are a couple options: genicular nerve ablation - a low pain radio-frequency nerve "burning" of the 3 genicular nerve endings in the knees, and total knee replacement. Tried it, no joy.
Many osteopaths now use spinal anesthesia for knee replacement - sign me up. This past year I had total knee replacement done on both knees. I was so used to very high levels of pain from the osteoarthritis, that I literally took NO pain medication as I recovered from those long bone surgeries.
Like you, I too have various other pains to deal with daily. I found an old kidney doctor - nephologist - who understood geriatrics, and the associated pain issues who helped me, using risk-management, to settle on some type of a protocol, and in so doing, went from over 12 different medications a day to 3.
Along the way, I tried chiropractic, acupuncture, CBE oil & chewable gummies, and a slew of other things, none of which provided the relief I was seeking. The nephrologist did agree that, using self-control, the occasional shot of Bushmills Black was probably in order.
Sorry for your pain.

Don
My wife waited way too long for a knee replacement. The surgeon had all kinds of trouble with the knee cap since it was ground down to a knife edge.

jcm71

First off, I am in no way affiliated with Relief Factor, nor do I take it. It may be worth a shot for you. Supposed to be non addictive. There are mixed reviews about it.

Joebobber

I have been living with pain constantly after my chemo treatment messed up my body. They put a pain pump in me even. The only thing that has helped is to turn. That's how i got into turning. It takes my mind away from the pain. Then i usually end up worse from doing too much. That gel/cream stuff that was mentioned, that works good for nerve pain or arthritis pain but can't get deep enough to help your back. Can you see a back dr and get it fixed? Surgery is probably your only true relief. Otherwise with the intrathecal pain pump there is a medication that they make from snail slime that is supposed to work really good and is not addictive but spendy. A tens unit might be worth checking out too. It didn't work for me (TENS) but my pain is different.

Last edited:
Here I go bragging again, but at 80 nearing 81 in a few months, I'm relatively lucky on the pain field... I do get a lower back muscular pain from the way I stand at the lathe, and sometimes wake up with it by sleeping in some conflated position and I usually have sore shoulders after a few hours of turning... sometimes to the point it's difficult to put on or take off my shirt, but so far nothing I can't deal with.... the little stint with the internal bleeding in my leg has taken it's toll though... I'm up and moving okay, but I do get tired really quick. Maybe when all the color in my leg goes away I'll feel stronger.
Need to get better, haven't been in the shop in over a month and beginning to have withdrawals.

sbwertz

We swear by this stuff. It isn't cheap, but it works. (I buy it by the pint!) We call it "magic mist" LOL. Even works to relieve the pain from a torn meniscus in my left knee. Great for arthritic pain. It was the only thing that let my aunt sleep at night. Only drawback is that is has a strong camphor odor, but I don't care...it stops the pain.

sbwertz

My wife has a sports and medical message clinic that I have come to rely upon. I also see a chiropractor periodically to help with alignment. Experience has shown me that physical fitness is a big factor as well with managing that pain as strengthening helps keep my body aligned properly to reduce pains. As far as fitness, I just try do what I can within my limits when I can and it helps me feel better overall.

Not sure what kind of massage you receive Madman, but I can attest to the a therapist properly trained can work wonders for the body to help manage pain. Spa style treatments do not do much to help with real pain as those sessions are designed for relaxation rather than relief. I would encourage you to try and begin working out however you can whether it is walking, swimming, biking, weights, etc to start getting that core strength up as it can help.
My massage therapist is also a HORSE massage therapist...Talk about thumbs of steel....MadMan, have
you been in physical therapy for this? PT taught me some core strengthening exercises I have used for years and it has helped my back tremendously.

Painfullyslow

Pain management is sadly something that I (and many of us here) are intimately familiar with. I've broken more bones than not, I've lost count of the surgeries that I have gone through.

I am only 52 and am riddled with arthritis due to all the breaks but the real killer is the nerve damage. The pain from that can be excruciating.

All that said, I hate taking pain meds. I am deathly afraid of addiction and I have a fairly high tolerance for pain so my regimen is 800mg ibuprofen regularly which brings it down to a bearable level. The thing is it builds over time until it becomes unbearable and that is when I have to turn to actual main meds. Thankfully this is usually only about once every 3 weeks or so.

I have tried just about every OTC and prescription method out there, CBD oil, etc.

In the end, there isn't much that I can do other than live with it.

SteveG

Pain management is sadly something that I (and many of us here) are intimately familiar with. I've broken more bones than not, I've lost count of the surgeries that I have gone through.

I am only 52 and am riddled with arthritis due to all the breaks but the real killer is the nerve damage. The pain from that can be excruciating.

All that said, I hate taking pain meds. I am deathly afraid of addiction and I have a fairly high tolerance for pain so my regimen is 800mg ibuprofen regularly which brings it down to a bearable level. The thing is it builds over time until it becomes unbearable and that is when I have to turn to actual main meds. Thankfully this is usually only about once every 3 weeks or so.

I have tried just about every OTC and prescription method out there, CBD oil, etc.

In the end, there isn't much that I can do other than live with it.
I MENTIONED THIS IN POST #9: "I suggest you look into the psychology field of Neuroplastic treatment." This is an approach to pain banishment (not 'management') which works. Look it up. I want more people to get rid of their plague of pain as I did. My practitioner specialized in this field and has a long waiting list of people waiting to get rid of pain in their body. I am completely off all pain meds, with NO residual pain, after nearly 2 decades of high level prescribed opioid meds. Check it out, or stay in pain.

Velcrodog

Read all the comments and can certainly relate. I have tried the surgery, creams, pills, pt, massage, acupuncture, spinals and nerve ablation to no success. My dr suggest spinal nerve stimlation implant. A woodturner friend has one and said it really makes a difference in his life.

Joebobber

Read all the comments and can certainly relate. I have tried the surgery, creams, pills, pt, massage, acupuncture, spinals and nerve ablation to no success. My dr suggest spinal nerve stimlation implant. A woodturner friend has one and said it really makes a difference in his life.
That spinal implant sounds alot like an implantable TENS unit. For me the intrathecal pain pump has worked wonders. It delivers the medication directly into your spinal fluid. There's even a drug made from snail slime that is supposed to be really good with no opiates that can only go in a pain pump. Unfortunately it is expensive.

Madman1978

My wife waited way too long for a knee replacement. The surgeon had all kinds of trouble with the knee cap since it was ground down to a knife edge.
Well, I know you understand my pain, but, I do hope you cant feel it. I wish that upon no one!

Madman1978

That spinal implant sounds alot like an implantable TENS unit. For me the intrathecal pain pump has worked wonders. It delivers the medication directly into your spinal fluid. There's even a drug made from snail slime that is supposed to be really good with no opiates that can only go in a pain pump. Unfortunately it is expensive.
They suggested one from me. I did my research and it's a 50/50 type of thing. 50% was not worth the chance to get don't.

I do have a TENS unit. They are inexpensive models on Amazon. I just hate buying the pads. I am so cheap at times.

Painfullyslow

I MENTIONED THIS IN POST #9: "I suggest you look into the psychology field of Neuroplastic treatment." This is an approach to pain banishment (not 'management') which works. Look it up. I want more people to get rid of their plague of pain as I did. My practitioner specialized in this field and has a long waiting list of people waiting to get rid of pain in their body. I am completely off all pain meds, with NO residual pain, after nearly 2 decades of high level prescribed opioid meds. Check it out, or stay in pain.

I read your post and did not address it directly because I have tried various psychological methods over the years, none of which yielded any meaningful results. I am very pleased that you were able to find some relief with this method, suffice it to say that it is not for everyone.

Velcrodog

Well, I know you understand my pain, but, I do hope you cant feel it. I wish that upon no one!
I feel for her! I messed up my rt knee but waited ovrr 20 years to get it replaced. Since I waited so long, the stress and strain messed up my left knee. I had that one replaced about 9 years ago. Since then, not a twinge of pain in the knee area. If she can get them replaced, I can tell you thr PT is a bear but the operations were a breeze. I am SO glad I had them done. Now if only I could get a new back.....

Top Bottom