How to create a flawless high gloss finish on resin pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ndep

What kinds of buffing compounds, polishing materials and techniques will give me a high gloss, mirror-like finish on resin pens? I am considering the following products but am interested in anything that works:

Novus Scratch Remover for Plastics
Hut Ultra Gloss Pen Polish
One-Step Plastic Polish
Stone's White Diamond polishing paste set
Zam & Fabuluster Buffing Compound
Craft Coat
EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I use the Hut Ultra Gloss. I wet sand with Micro Mesh and then apply the Hut with a cotton cloth. Sometimes I'll put the blank on a buffing wheel but most of the time it's not needed. FYI I buy the gun cleaning patches at Walmart. There's two different types so make sure you get cotton. I get the 2"x2" size. They work well for polishing up one pen then I toss it. That way I'm not trying to keep up with a towel or large cloth that might collect dust or particles that will scratch the pen while using.

Helen

What kinds of buffing compounds, polishing materials and techniques will give me a high gloss, mirror-like finish on resin pens? I am considering the following products but am interested in anything that works:

Novus Scratch Remover for Plastics
Hut Ultra Gloss Pen Polish
One-Step Plastic Polish
Stone's White Diamond polishing paste set
Zam & Fabuluster Buffing Compound
Craft Coat
EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax
I have used One Step for years. Normally about 3 coats. Very happy with the results

leehljp

Member Liaison
A word about wax of different kinds: If wax is what you want then use it. But know that wax is a temporary shine. Wax is a good short term preservative and finish. For those who will care for their instruments with diligence, wax is excellent, but only for those who care with diligence! Wax will wear off. Don't hold that against the wax, hold it against improper use ignorance. šŸ˜

Buffing, polishing, practice, practice.

ndep

You may want to add a CA finish to Alumilite -Urethane resin blanks first. They don't shine as easily as PR blanks after polishing.
Are you suggesting:

(a) polish using water and micromesh

(b) apply CA and polish again

(c) apply final finish?

JohnU

Are you suggesting:

(a) polish using water and micromesh

(b) apply CA and polish again

(c) apply final finish?
Depending on the blank material and surface after turning, I usually lightly sand up to 400, use light pressure with 0000 steel wool to help remove any scratches, apply the CA finish, water sand with micromesh, and then polish. With just resin blanks I often only use thin CA (Gluboost). If there are embedded objects or hybrid blanks I'll use both thin and medium CA to fill voids and smooth transitions between material.

Top Bottom