How To Cast This Effect?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I got the blank used in this pen from Woodcraft. I am wondering how it was cast. I like the effect and would like to attempt my own.

-edit- looking at the pen some more it looks like maybe it is something like chinese finger-trap material, except it is solid all the way through the blank

red-Gatsby.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
MY first thought is to cast a thin film of one color, pearl white perhaps. let it harden break it up and recast it in red. You could add a 3rd complimentery color like a lighter red or pink

Chasper

Cast a block of resin with some pearlescence mica and transparent pigment. Cut the block up into lots of tiny pieces (run them through a tumbler if you have one). Mix another batch of resin with transparent pigment only, no mica. Stir in the tiny pieces of the first casting and pour again.
It is really a lot of work when you can buy blanks like this in dozens of colors for very low prices and your castings will not likely be as consistent as those you can buy.

ALexG

your own casting will be usually more expensive than the ones you can buy however a pen made with your own casting has a different flavor, try it by yourself its a lot of work but very rewarding when it works

Brooks803

Chaspers way is the closest way I've come to making one that looks SOMEWHAT like your picture. It's a real pain to do, but do give it a go. Even if you don't end up with what your trying for you never know what kind of creativity it'll conjure up.

Top Bottom