How to cast stamps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

Greetings, all. I'm trying something new- putting used stamps on a pen. I have a number of precious stamps (and some practice ones!) from my philatelist friend. I intend to make the blanks (for a roller ball pen) and send them to be cast.

I'm not sure how to attach these posted stamps. Do I use something like modge podge? And should I be spraying on some kind of clear coat before sending it out to be cast in acrylic?

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Katya

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I think you could use white glue to glue the stamps to the tube. I've never tried used stamps, so I don't know for sure. But I use modge podge over the stamps after they are attached.

Hope this helps.

mecompco

I've gotten decent results using water-diluted white glue to affix the stamps to the tube (use a small paint brush), then spraying with clear acrylic spray or Mod-Podge spray. I'd do a test first to make sure your PR (assuming that's what you're using--it's inexpensive and requires to pressure pot) doesn't eat your clear coat. It is a messy business, but well worth some experimentation.

mecompco

Thanks, Michael! That's a good start for me.

YW, There are some good YT vids on the topic, and possibly an article here. A challenge for me is getting the layout to look good. Some stamp shapes seem to work better than others. The stamps also tend to lift as you position them--even with gloves on the stamps like to stick to your fingers.

I did one Elegant Sierra using Portland Head Light (Maine) stamps for my Mom which came out pretty good, not sure if I have a pic or not. Please do post pix of your work when you try it.

Michael

PS: I don't know if you've sourced a mold yet, but I highly recommend Fred Wisson's tube-in molds: https://ptownsubbie.com

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

The method I use is Elmers. The white will work but it doesn't dry clear so if it's a dark stamp it will have a haze. The "Clear Transparente" works the best for me. I use the same glue to glue on the stamps and seal them. Others use other products with no problems so I'm not saying my way is the best so you might need to try different things to find out what you like. I also like removing the glue from the stamps and I paint the backs to keep things from showing through.

Top Bottom