How Small is Small?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Very subjective since yours may be smaller than mine but both of ours may be smaller than someone else's bowls. One could be short and thick while another is long and thin but both are qualified as small such as a salt box and a wand. Some may not be very thick but be very wide and be too big while another is nicely proportioned in length, thickness and width but still considered acceptable such a platter vs a pepper mill.

So, some bowls are small but what size is no longer small for a bowl? I would consider all wands to be small because of their diameter. But is a pepper mill truly small even though it may be shorter than the wand and smaller diameter than a bowl?

And to think, I was going to congratulate Jeff on making a change that everyone liked and agreed about!

Then suddenly it becomes sooo complicated. 😵‍💫

Laugh, gang. Sometimes we are just too serious.

jttheclockman

I think the category should just be other turned projects other than pens. Leave small out of it. Not sure what your objective is here because if you are wanting photos only then maybe do something like we did with the segmented pens ( https://www.penturners.org/threads/no-comments-just-post-new-segmented-pens-and-likes.111419/ ) At least that is what we tried to set up and it sort has been followed. Would like it to be a subform but we take what we can get. I mean we can break down many forums into sub forums if you want to go that route.

farmer

This is small .
1651716098745.png

This isn't

Woodchipper

I know of a woodturner who turns rice kernels and itsy-bitsy pieces of wood with tools made from piano wire. Need to strong magnifying glass to see his goblets.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I think the category should just be other turned projects other than pens. Leave small out of it.
My thinking was that there are many (dozens?) of places where there is general turning discussion. Small turnings have some unique aspects shared with pens, so it seemed natural that we could expand a little into that area. Hey, if it's a bust and nobody is interested, so be it and it'll dry up and eventually end up with the rest of the forums that were my supposedly good ideas that bombed.

By "small" I was thinking about something that would fit on a mini, maybe 10" dia max. We can all define "small" however we want. I don't envision deleting a photo or discussion because it's not small.

ZensCreations

I think I might qualify for this chat!!!

I have a Lathe, Grinder, Workbench, Bandsaw, Cnc, and a Router Table, and work in a 8 ft x 5 ft metal storage shed in the back yard of my condo

jttheclockman

My thinking was that there are many (dozens?) of places where there is general turning discussion. Small turnings have some unique aspects shared with pens, so it seemed natural that we could expand a little into that area. Hey, if it's a bust and nobody is interested, so be it and it'll dry up and eventually end up with the rest of the forums that were my supposedly good ideas that bombed.

By "small" I was thinking about something that would fit on a mini, maybe 10" dia max. We can all define "small" however we want. I don't envision deleting a photo or discussion because it's not small.
Whatever you want to do Jeff. Just then why the question how small? You set the measurements. Just remember pens are made on full size lathes too. My thought is not many people here do turnings other than what you are seeing so it will settle on its own size issue. Even on the turning sites you talk about it is rare you see any project bigger than 12" diam. That can be made on a midi lathe which most of us have. Those full size lathe are generally for large bowls and long spindle work. Not seen anything come through here in the years I have been here.

But what do I know. I thought the forum about pen stands and pen boxes would take off. I wanted to try and get the membership here to think about displaying those great pens they make in something that is custom and also made by their hands. Doing themed pens and or stands and boxes would be great idea. But did not go over well as you see.

Last edited:

jrista

Perhaps instead of just "small", it could be types of turnings as well? I noticed some bowls the other day. I feel that bowls, vases, vessels, probably warrant their own category. The rest...keychains, S&P grinders/shakers, stuff like that could remain in the general "small" category?

Top Bottom