How many blanks do you keep on hand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

In conjunction with my other question, it's only human nature to ask how many blanks you keep on hand.

I don't know how many wood blanks I have, but probably enough for the rest of my life.
I have 2 large Rubbermaid storage bins full of wood blanks here.
I will have to sell off some of them soon enough.
I just bought a few plastic blanks because I use more of it than wood these days.

So, how many blanks do you keep on hand?

dogcatcher

Until my health stopped me, I was a production game call turner, but I also sold and gave away a lot of pens. I am not in an area for good blanks without having shipping costs added, so I bought in bulk. Right now, I could make 2000 calls and about 300 pens and not have to buy any blanks. The 2000 calls, that was less than a six month supply back in the good times, the pens, a year or more. 99% of those are domestic woods, walnut, maple, cherry, mesquite, osage, etc., very little of the exotics.

Dehn0045

I too basically have a lifetime supply. But for some reason I still buy more...

Terredax

Banned
I assume with that kind of stock you sell them as well?

I've actually never sold them. Maybe a few to local people.
All of the rounds, are in sets of two, and are one-offs. I try not to replicate any given pour. There were a few that came out looking so nice, I did cast another set.

I have everything from solid one color pours, through many variations of up to eight color pours. Adding an additional color can change the appearance, and varying the dominant colors can completely change a blank of the same colors used.

I haven't cast anything for quite some time. I don't have the access to the resin as I once did, and I really don't need another blank.... oh, who am I kidding, I can always use another blank. Just don't tell the Mrs.:redface:

arioux

Every piece of wood that gets thru my hand that have more than 3 inches long and 5/8 dquare get transformed into a pen blank and put in a large bin. I Remember going to the wood suppier every week to go to the scrap pile.

Now i have been quiet for that last 2 years because of healt issue and just started turning 3 months ago.

My accumulation is probably well over 10,000 blanks, with 75-80 species of wood. Plus a wall rack full of board (about 75 pieces 6"x 1" by 48 to 60 " waiting to be cut into blanks. I wish i never had to answer that question. Just made me realize in what kind of monster this turning madness can turn you into ;))))

Feel like golum from the lord of the ring with my precious stack of blanks.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
IAP Estate Blanks still needing to be put up for sale - about 2,000.

Personally, about 300 of "high Grade"

Basic stock for anyone who wants them events - easily 1,000.

Not bad for someone who reduces them to toothpick size and then makes/turns 10-15 pens per year! But I hope to do some charity causes and reduce the stock.

Fuzzy63

And I thought I was the only one that a lot of blanks on hand. I too live in an area where I have to pay shipping so if near a place with blanks i stock up. So I have around 500 blanks on hand.
Gary

Ironwood

I would take a guess at about 1000 blanks cut to size. If I cut all my slabs and burls into pen blanks, I reckon I would end up with well over a million, might even push 2 million.

Charlie_W

Seems this "Blankitis" condition has reached epidemic levels:eek
I think many members could add "Blank Collector" in addition to "Penturner" after their name. :wink:

I have plenty of blanks but nothing like some of you.....now I don't feel so bad about my collection!

Pjohnson

I have may 150 or so — Many duplicates (i.e. 20 pecan, 12 redwood).
What is missing from my collection are exotics. For those who have large inventories, do you ever consider selling?

leehljp

Member Liaison
A few hundred plus a tractor shed full of logs and a pasture full of trees.

I was about to post about the logs I have too!

I am a minister - actually I work with churches in 3 counties. When I give away a pen, particularly to a farmer, and I have given many away, I get access to hundreds of acres of trees. You better believe that I keep a sharp eye out for the right trees, stumps and shrubs. One farmer pulled up some crepe myrtle, roots and all and gave it to me last month. Got to make him some plus some bowls!

bertha

between 500 - 600
o.png

Last edited:

bsshog40

Dang, I have about a doz. Lol I don't really buy any unless I have plans to turn them. Maybe I should start stock-piling. Lol

greenacres2

Dang, I have about a doz. Lol I don't really buy any unless I have plans to turn them. Maybe I should start stock-piling. Lol

You have started Bobby--they breed like rabbits!! I had 2 blanks and 2 kits when i began. Now cut blanks 400 to 600. With what could be cut--that number would definitely double, possibly triple.

earl

MrPukaShell

Boy do I feel better now, good to know I not the only one with a problem. I have too many to count thats for sure. Guessing around 500 with lots of larger stuff that could be cut up.

A few hundred plus a tractor shed full of logs and a pasture full of trees.

I was about to post about the logs I have too!

I am a minister - actually I work with churches in 3 counties. When I give away a pen, particularly to a farmer, and I have given many away, I get access to hundreds of acres of trees. You better believe that I keep a sharp eye out for the right trees, stumps and shrubs. One farmer pulled up some crepe myrtle, roots and all and gave it to me last month. Got to make him some plus some bowls!

I have my own wood mill, Woodmizer LT15, so I have a lot of large pieces laying around. When I was working I had access to many different species of wood from a lot of the Ag growers, Walnut, Olive, Eucalyptus, Ash, Cherry and a bunch of other stuff. I've used a lot of it for special projects but I would guess I have enough wood right now to keep myself going for a very long time.

2 Saw

I chainsaw mill some lumber and cut apprx. 50 truckloads of firewood a year and am always on the lookout for pen and bowl blanks my guess is over 3000 pen blanks and counting. At least 75-100 bowl blanks. At least 25 species of wood.

WriteON

In conjunction with my other question, it's only human nature to ask how many blanks you keep on hand.

I don't know how many wood blanks I have, but probably enough for the rest of my life.
I have 2 large Rubbermaid storage bins full of wood blanks here.
I will have to sell off some of them soon enough.
I just bought a few plastic blanks because I use more of it than wood these days.

So, how many blanks do you keep on hand?

I have more blanks than brains.

brailsmt

I tend to buy blanks and make only about 80% of them, which means I am accumulating a stash of blanks that I once thought were cool, but think are kind of meh, now.

David350

Frank (WriteOn), you made me laugh out loud with your "more blanks than brains" comment. I too fit that bill and have more blanks than I will probably ever turn. Last count I think I have about 1,200 various acrylic and 800 various wood. I think we need to document this as a medical condition, MBTB, in honor of the above humor.

Just in case anyone really "needs" to get some more blanks, I have bought some Rhino pen blanks off eBay as there is a seller that somehow gets them as seconds, and a box of over 100 is about $112 with shipping, so its just over a buck a blank. I have bought several of these and they make awesome pens.

Dehn0045

Just in case anyone really "needs" to get some more blanks, I have bought some Rhino pen blanks off eBay as there is a seller that somehow gets them as seconds, and a box of over 100 is about $112 with shipping, so its just over a buck a blank. I have bought several of these and they make awesome pens.

Obviously nobody here "needs" it, but... link please! :biggrin:

I've been told many times "no more wood", I'll be like "no, I didn't buy any more wood off of eBay"

robutacion

Well, I have been calling myself "wood gatherer" for over 12 years, the number of blanks I have on-hand is too many for anyone to believe me or get their head around, however, there are a limited number of members on IAP that have actually visited and a hand full of other members that have been "following" me for long enough to know I have "lots" of blanks.

My "hunt" for woods is over but I won't turn my head the other way if I come across any amounts of woods such as Olivewood and a few others...!

My private collection comprised mostly of exotic woods of top grades and some of my own that I knew they were a once of a lifetime chance, was recently moved to another location and my feelings towards them is, the time to sell the whole lot is approaching, they were a slow investment and a lot of fun getting them but I don't really have a justifiable reason to prevent them from being used by those that look for the nice stuff and make them into beautiful writing instruments, what does it worth..? I couldn't tell you at this moment but one day I will go through them and identify (all blanks are identified already) and number what I have, after that the calculations will be easy.:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom