How long should a vacuum run?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeBro

Hey all! First time post here. We're stabilizing wood rings and have had some issues with our vacuums getting really hot. We're currently using a JB Eliminator but have just purchased a JB Platinum. In any case, is there a limit on how long these vacuums should be pulling for? I know they are made for refrigeration but I don't know how long that process typically takes.

I'm wondering if we should have it pull for an hour and then shut off the valve and leave the wood and resin under vacuum in the chamber?

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

For stabilization you pull vacuum until there aren't any (or very few) bubbles coming out of the wood. Usually takes a couple of hours in my experience. No idea what your specific pump is rated for, but vac pumps do tend to get warm.

Dieseldoc

For my vac pot after I pull vac and close valve on the pot vac will hold of over night. So no need to leave it on after bubbles stop.

Need to check seal, fittings and valves for leak.

Just my 2 cents.

MRDucks2

I change my oil after topping off twice unless I have other concerns and the change as needed. I have left my pump run for 12 hours at a time with no issues holding max vacuum.

tomtedesco

How often are you changing the oil? Once a week? It looks pretty clean from what I can tell but maybe that's what's causing some of our pumps to die.
My pump has a window that allows me see oil level and condition. I am extra careful for the first hour adjusting the suction so as not to get any CJ in the line. Looking at the oil allows me to see if there are any foreign materials in the pump and I would change right away. Normal change is every three or four times depending on time used, etc.

My pump has a window that allows me see oil level and condition. I am extra careful for the first hour adjusting the suction so as not to get any CJ in the line. Looking at the oil allows me to see if there are any foreign materials in the pump and I would change right away. Normal change is every three or four times depending on time used, etc.

Have you checked out the in-line separator that Turntex has? I got one just so I didn't pull any CJ into my vacuum and it's worked great.

Top Bottom