How long should a long blank be?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

A few years ago when I started selling a few blanks I ultimately decided, with input from members here, that 5-1/4" was going to be what I made a standard blank length.

In the past 2 years it seems long blanks are becoming a thing, too. I had a request for "long" blanks at 6". I see "long" blanks being sold at 7-1/2". I see long blanks and rods being sold from 9" to 12".

I realize many of these are for the kit less theatre of pen making. So, what is the ideal length for a stock "long" blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike, you heard it correctly. To make a cap & barrel from the same blank, it needs to be at least 7" long, because you lose an inch by chucking it in the headstock. And that's cutting it pretty close. If the maker wants to add a clip and finial, or even a section matching the pen material, and extra inch can't hurt. Based on past experience.😜

greenacres2

Even though i've never done a kitless, i usually buy 9" DiamondCast from Tim McKenzie. I can usually cut 2 Junior pens (scary to me for diameter!!) or 3 single barrels (2 Vertex & a Sierra) from a 9" Once you cut a 3" from a 5" blank, there's not a lot of use for the off-cut unless your name is Mark James!!
earl

MRDucks2

Chuck and Earl - Thanks for your replies. Just the kind of info I need.

Keep the feedback coming. Looks like I am in the 7-1/2 to 9" range. Wanting to be able to offer the best value for the use while minimizing molds and set-up.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck and Earl - Thanks for your replies. Just the kind of info I need.

Keep the feedback coming. Looks like I am in the 7-1/2 to 9" range. Wanting to be able to offer the best value for the use while minimizing molds and set-up.
You're welcome Mike. 9" feels like a good margin to me. If that's practical, and do-able.

TDahl

I have heard many kitless pen makers say they prefer the 10" to 12" blanks because it allows them to make the sections out of the same material as the cap and body and allows enough material left over to cover any unexpected mishaps.

dogcatcher

I prefer as long as possible, anything over 12". If I need 2", I can cut off 2" and still have a plenty to use for another project. This way I do not land up with a handful of short cutoffs. I once landed up with 3/4x3/4x72" long zebra wood, after a bunch of pens I only had one small cutoff.

MRDucks2

I have heard many kitless pen makers say they prefer the 10" to 12" blanks because it allows them to make the sections out of the same material as the cap and body and allows enough material left over to cover any unexpected mishaps.
I appreciate your input, Tim. If they have a little left over for mishaps I wonder how many pieces they end up with when things go well. More of a always better, though.

MRDucks2

I prefer as long as possible, anything over 12". If I need 2", I can cut off 2" and still have a plenty to use for another project. This way I do not land up with a handful of short cutoffs. I once landed up with 3/4x3/4x72" long zebra wood, after a bunch of pens I only had one small cutoff.
There does become a point where it is no longer practical to cast a blank. Machine made blanks and extrusions as well as wooden blanks are easier to do at any length, but then become impractical to ship to someone. I do appreciate your perspective.

Top Bottom