• More than 10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Bought my first pen kit in July, 1996. In researching this important point, does anyone know what ever happened to Woodcrafters of Oklahoma? (Not related to Woodcraft chain) Gary Vorheis

He was my first source!

Woodcrafters of Oklahoma went out of business 2 or 3 years ago. They moved from their original downtown Oklahoma City location to a site on the south side of I-240, then to the east side of I-35 at the north end of town. They had a fantastic going out of business sale.[:)]

Bob S.

hipchick

My fiance bought a lathe and we learned to use it together. My favorite thing to do currently is turn pens because I'm very busy and don't like to split bowl turning projects into sessions if I can help it. I'm having so much fun turning different types of wood! Some of my best pens were in the "junk" bin, just cast off wood for a buck a pop. There's something extra special about creating a lovely pen from "garbage." However, I do love spending all of my money on beautiful wood...it's just so hard to resist!! :)

Here are a few pens we've done! :)
http://www.sfscuba.com/woodworking/6_pens.jpg
http://www.sfscuba.com/woodworking/Penanimate.gif
http://www.sfscuba.com/woodworking/Diagonal-Grain.jpg
http://www.sfscuba.com/woodworking/Ash-with-Slash.jpg

Dario

Started turning about 2 years ago...but stopped for about 8 months...and just started turning again last month (when I have spare time which is seldom)....spending way too much time in front of the PC!!! LOL [:D]

Jerry Crice

When my dad passed on I got his Shopsmith. It isn't nor has it ran since I got it. For Christmas last year I bought myself a Sears Craftman. Tried mallets, bats, and small items until I got hooked on pens a couple months ago. Total time turning about 9 months.

cju7250

Just started about 3 weeks ago. Bought a craftsman off Ebay to resell (brand new for $60). Tried it out on some scrap wood around the house and started thinking I could do something with this thing!!! Found the penturning kits and now I can't wait to get home from work every evening to turn or at least prepare blanks.

JohnDrayton

Like a lot of you I learned woodturning in Jr. Hi school, too far back to remember. I own a Shopsmith, but bought a Jet Pen Lathe this year, best thing I ever did, Love Love that tiny lathe!! I can take it anywhere, even in my RV. only started turing pens this year and am completly hooked! I use and really like the Hut PPP sticks for finish.
JohnDrayton

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I had replied to this in Feb of this year but changed my user name so I got to vote twice.
I never touched a lathe until Fathers Day 2004.
I amm proud to say that this past fasters day I gave a pen to David Marks that I was asked to make special for him.
I have always enjoyed working with my hands and with wood.
I feel the way I approach pencrafting puts more woodworking into it than just cutting a hunk of wood and making it round.
Don't misunderstand me.
I appreciate the beauty in all woods left natural, but to make my pens different I feel a great need to try different things.
I don't normally "alter" a figured piece of wood unless I can "see" something that might be enhanced by my efforts.

TomServo

I started turning maybe 10 years ago - my highschool canceled the wood shop (there were like 6 of us, and we had to go to off campus) and in my trips to the local Woodcraft store, I saw the pens and used one made by one of the staff - I was hooked, I got a lathe for x-mas and scrounged together the necessary tools and fixtures to turn pens... I turned a couple of bowls also, my first bowl had about a 3/16" wall - my second about the same.. Both were rather small, made from repurposed firewood - the first i can't recall, it was almost a burl (pretty knotty, at least) and came out gorgeous.. the second I made from hedge apple (osage orange)..

Spike

I started just 6 months ago. I bought an el cheapo lathe from harbor frieght and a set of tools there and just started turning. I havent taken a single class. i'm learning as i go. Only outside experince is from the DIY network channel on TV and the internet.(i.e.this website)Ive made some mistakes but now I know how NOT to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom