How long have you been turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Just wondering. I've seen such a vast array of workmanship here, I'm curious to know who's been turning for how long. I know some people haven’t been turning long at all and have really taken off, Toni for one comes to mind. I think people who are newer to the site than her would be surprised how short a time she's been at it.

Me, I've been turning for about 10-11 months. No prior experience in wood at all. Still low on practice, but as my wood pile grows, it'll come faster.

How about you?

its_virgil

one-tenth (1/10) the time as Chuckie...I must be really young! But I was in high school 40 years ago...[?][:D] I wish I had started much earlier.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />About a quarter as long as Chuckie. (Makes me feel younger already!)[:)][:)][:p][:p]

vick

About 3 years since I got my lathe maybe more, but when I was moving between states I did not turn anything for about 8 months. So I guess I would say about 2 1/2 years turning.

jthompson1995

I turned my first project in my freshman year in high school, but that was only 14 years ago[:D]. I didn't have any chance since my sophomore year so I took about an 11 year break and have been turning (mostly pens) pretty regularly since February.

gerryr

I turned my first pen in late July last year. Prior to that I had turned maybe a dozen fly rod grips and reel seat inserts. I was a miserable failure at shop in grade school.[xx(]

Gerry,
I haven't turned any yet, but I want to get into the fly rod grips and reel seats.. I saw one done by a guy in MI or MN... fantastic stuff... where I live is one of top trout rivers in country.. might turn out to be good seller.

Daniel

&lt;ade my first turning nearly 20 years ago. a goblet that I didi not have all the accessories needed to complete. It hen spent about a year making all sorts of small turnings, from game pieces to tool handles and even a few spindles for chairs etc.
stopped turning at all for about twelve years or so. still did lots of work in the shop just not the round kind. started turning pens thre or four years ago and now my lathe has by far more hours of use than any other machine in my shop.

jjenk02

I've only been turning for about 6 months, but I'm getting better at it everyday thanks to the info I have gotten from this site. I wish I had found it earlier, then I wouldn't have made all the mistakes I did[8D]

reed43

5 years and turn 3to6 pen daily. This is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Seeing what is inside a piece of wood when you turn off the outside is sometimes breath taking.

GreggR

Metals - 18 years. Wood, less than a year. Everyone here has been very helpful, IMHO it's easier to turn metal and a lot less emotionally rewarding, but metal is definitely financially more rewarding.

cozee

Been hanging around here for about a year. I like to really check things out before I jump in with both feet. Turned my first pen (first turniong of anything!) this past July. So I've been turning about 4 months now.

penbros

hmm.. i started ... maybe... im thinking january-ish 2006. so not long. Man does it feel way longer than that. Im a freshman (dont hate me cuz of that JK) and am taking shop in 07. I dont really need to take it but its my only escape from the norm. Its gonna be a snap!

ncseeker

I've only been turning since January of this year. Prior to that, I had no real woodworking experience. I now own two lathes and my car has been banished from the garage to make room for all the new toys.

I don't even want to count up all the money I've spent on this hobby !!! Sure is fun !!

loglugger

Turning about 6 years, pens about 3 years, woodworking in one form or another about 30 years. Since I started pens other woodworking projects are almost nonexistent. Pens go to the Freedom Pen Project at Saw Mill Creek except for a few presents for family and friends. Have enjoyed turning pen, gets kind of habit forming.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom