how long does it take to make a pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RunnerVince

In several threads recently, I've come across reasons to wonder if there are ways I can speed up my work. In one discussion, people were talking about pricing pens, and the prices didn't make sense to me based on how long it takes me to complete a pen. In another discussion, I was commenting and sort of had to say "but don't listen to me if you're trying to get into production mode."

So I'm wondering how long it takes most of you to turn a pen. I know many of you will do batch work, which I do when I can. But for the purposes of this discussion, let's just assume:
  • You're only doing one pen
  • You're using a kit that uses a double-barrel design (slimline, cigar, jr. gentleman, etc.)
  • You're starting with a complete, undrilled blank of a material that's not got any crazy quirks
  • You're only including active working time (e.g., if you let the finish cure for 24 hours before sanding and polishing, don't include the 24 hours)
With those assumptions, how long does it take for you to go from kit and blank to something you could hand to a customer?

For me, I hover in the neighborhood of 90-120 minutes, with this process:
  1. Divide and cut the blank to size (I cut two separate pieces)
  2. Drill the center hole in the two pieces
  3. Scuff tubes and glue in with CA, then hit with activator
  4. Put blanks on mandrel with bushings and turn to approximate size
  5. Put first half of pen between centers and turn to final dimensions
  6. Sand as needed to prepare for finishing
  7. Remove blank and use CA to seal ends
  8. Apply CA finish (8 coats thin CA), with accelerator after coats 3, 6 and 8
  9. Wet sand lightly with 600 or 800 grit sandpaper, then move to micromesh (all 9 pads)
  10. Polish (I use Dr. Kirk's Scratch Free followed by Dr. Kirk's Micro Magic 1-3)
  11. Repeat steps 5-10 with other half of pen
  12. Assemble pen
How long does your process take you?

KateHarrow

Because I glue my tubes with 5 min epoxy, I don't include the cure time in my overall time. If you want start to finish (cut the blanks to assemble the pen) I'm probably at 60 min for a 2 tube pen with a ca finish. Obviously that's much quicker on anything with one tube that doesn't require ca

Woodchipper

Never timed it. But looking at selling pens, I'm leaning toward keeping time spent. Part depends on how old you are and how fast you move.👨‍🦳

its_virgil

How Long Does It Take To Make One Of Those?

Do you mean...

not plant the tree, but find the wood,

just 'see' the piece, (as if I could)?

to find a highly figured burl,

a crotch, an eye, or pearly curl?

And once I spy it, perhaps buy it,

inventory, store, and dry it?

Then saw or cut it, possibly I kiln it,

glue, imbue with fill, or drill it?

You mean, that once I'm satisfied

it's stopped the warps, checks, cracks, once c c c c c dried?

And mounted on the lathe, to turn it,

(which takes much practice, just to learn it;

and then employ a gouge, or two,

or use a skew, which I don't eschew,

to mold it, shape it (what's your pleasure?)

by all means, I'm sure to measure,

then sand it smooth, please wear your mitts,

from coarse to fine, 10,000 grits,

then braze, or burnish, paint, or polish,

i
(the goal: enhance, and don't demolish)?

Is that your question, start to end,

how long's that path, its way to wend?

Or do you merely want to know how long it turned?

Ten minutes, or so.

© John A. Styer, The Lathe-meister

gbpens

For those of us in the structured disciplines such as engineering or accounting we tend to answer in terms of time. But I rather prefer Don's version; how long does it take to create a piece of art?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A basic nice wood pen - 35-60 minutes in stages.
A simple segmented pen - 2-3 hrs in stages.
A complex segmented pen - 4 -12 weeks from initial design to finished pen in stages. (Maybe 20-40 hrs over time).

EDIT: I do not do shows, sell very infrequently, so I enjoy the time. I am not in a hurry and enjoy the process. The longer I can drag out the process, the happier I am! So, you also need to temper your input for 'production' turners vs 'slow sh.ts' like me. We will skew your results. I could 'turn' a pen in 15-20 minutes. But I am much happier taking 1-2-3+ hrs.

jrista

It varies for me depending on the pen and the number of blanks. The more precise I've tried to become with getting my blanks turned to the exact size of the hardware, the longer it has been taking. I'd say, excluding wait times, I am probably in the vicinity of 2-3 hours per pen most of the time. This is not a continuous time of me just standing there working.

As I don't use CA (very allergic!) for my finish...instead I use either walnut oil and pens plus, or wipe on oil based poly. These two finishes take a while longer to finish than CA. In my case, to get the best results with pens plus, I usually need a drying time of around 8 hours, then some touchup time (usually the wood in some places will soak up finish and leave dull spots). Poly needs drying for a while (12 hours is what I give it) between coats, so it can take several days to fully finish a pen in poly.

So overall time can be days to completely finish a pen. Excluding the waiting times, though, its usually a few hours of me actually working on things.

I have been getting into pen segmenting. There is a lot more work there...lot more cutting time, assembling and gluing time, and segmented blanks can be more fragile so you usually have to take things like drilling and initial blank rounding more slowly. I am not even remotely close to the kind of amazing segmenting some of the members here show off at times...my segmenting thus far has been fairly rudimentary...but even with just a few segments per blank, it can double or triple the amount of time I have to spend working a pen. (I think part of that is I've for some reason started my journey into segmented blanks with a mix of resins and woods and metals...and those materials often do not like to bond to each other. I use T88 epoxy these days, which is better, but some interfaces just don't like to bond!!!)

Anyway...I figure you can either pump out high volume, and make your money by selling lots of pens....or, you can spend your time CRAFTING each pen, which means you would need to sell each one for more, which might mean fewer sales in total. I have thus far taken more of the craftsman route...and I try to spend some time making my pens, making sure they are well crafted.

showcaser

Got these three done in a day. Sunday Funday!

Attachments

• IMG_8682.JPG
    IMG_8682.JPG
    544.9 KB · Views: 108

jttheclockman

In my eyes an impossible question to answer. If I were doing an acrylic blank it is going to take considerably less time than a wood pen and that is if it is just a simple plain piece of wood. I put on 3 coats of thin CA and about 4 to 5 coats of med CA. I never ever use accelorator because it make the CA more brittle than what it is. I can put on a coat in about 5 seconds. I walk away and come back whenever I feel like it. Now if I am making the blanks which I mostly do that it depends if I am casting or building a segmented blank. With the planning and cutting it could take months maybe even years which I have been working on a few blanks that I started 3 years ago but left them. So I am not the person to answer your question. But with that said who cares. Why should it matter to you? you are the one creating the art piece and not others. It is your work, your time and your energy. Try to make the best pen you can each and every time. Now if selling is your thing than batch work and keeping the blanks simple is the only way to go to make serious money. Good luck.

If pressed to give a time

Acrylic:
cut and drill 2 pieces---5 to 10minutes ( have to change bits, drill on lathe) ( remember you have to put chuck on lathe and things like that if that counts in time)
Glue tubes in ----2 to 3 minutes ( I use epoxy and leave 24 hours always)
Sand ends down about 5 minutes each
turn each blank alone--- 5 to 10 minutes per blank
Polish---15minutes per blank
assemble----5 minutes

Wood (basically the same)
the only thing I would add is about 5 seconds per coat of CA ( 3 to 4 coats thin and 4 to 5 coats med) Time wait between coats is unkown because I walk away and do other things.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I mostly turn wood pens & total time is about 30-60 minutes per pen. I don't do all the steps you listed though. I drill first, then cut the blank to size on a bandsaw - I find that more efficient than cutting first & drilling two blanks individually, and I haven't scuffed a tube in over 5 years. I glue the tube with a liberal coat if medium CA & let it cure overnight. Haven't had a tube problem yet.

I turn both blanks close to bushings on a mandrel, then replace the metal bushings with delrin bushings & sand & finish both blanks at the same time. I mostly sand 100-400 or 200-400, then burnish the blanks with a pinch of shavings. Then finish with a coat of sanding sealer, then friction polish, then carnuba wax. Sometimes I will use a water-based urethane finish or a CA finish rather than the friction polish.

MedWoodWorx

Do you mean...

i

Ten minutes, or so.

I need a shirt with that poem written, nice

leehljp

Member Liaison
This has been discussed more than a dozen times over the years, but good to see again each year or at least every other year for those who are interested.

Always good to see an idea refreshed, even if it has been discussed before.

For me and 5 minute epoxy for gluing in the tube and a simple CA finish - 30 minutes - 45 minutes. BUT there can be some variables, such as "soft" wood takes longer to get smooth and apply a finish. CA vs epoxy for gluing in the tube; tool(s) used for turning, etc.

Last edited:

Larryreitz

I assume when people ask this type of question they are trying to determine if the selling price reflects the value of their time. If that is the case time spent making is only half of the equation. Should you not ask how much time is spent marketing and selling also? If you sell at shows, how long does it take you to get to the venue and set up? How much time is spent talking to nice folks who never buy? How long to tear down, pack and drive home? You had better drive slower going home because the day's effort has made you tired. If you sell online, how much time is spent in front of the computer, packing the product and running to the post office?

As others have pointed out (correctly so IMHO), we do this because we enjoy creating a piece of art or craft which, hopefully, others will enjoy whether it is purchased by them or given to them. Just my 2 cents. Have fun!!!

Larry

Mortalis

First of all, stop using a mandrel. If you are going to use a mandrel why not turn both parts of the two piece blank together?
With that being said.
Just working at the lathe I estimate it takes 80 - 145 minutes depending how the turning itself goes.
Problem is that just working the lathe when turning a single pen never happens.
I pretty much turn one pen at a time and I, like many others have said, enjoy the time taken to turn and finish a crafted pen (not going to say a piece of art cause I wouldn't call a lot of my pens a piece of art).
  1. I choose a blank and then determine what section of the blank will make the best looking pieces of blank (2 - 5 minutes)
  2. Mark and cut the pieces (5 - 10 minutes)
  3. Drill both pieces on my lathe (10 - 20 minutes)
  4. Rough up the tubes (2 - 5 minutes)
  5. Glue tubes into blanks with 5 minute epoxy (10 - 15 minutes)
    • Wait for glue to set and generally get distracted (Squirrel!) (10 - 45 minutes)
  6. Square and even ends to tubes on belt sander then clear ID of tube (10-15 minutes)
  7. Turn each piece (10 - 30 minutes)
  8. Apply CA layers (3 - 10 minutes)
    • Wait for each layer to cure not using accelerator (5min - 1.5 hrs) see above for squirrel
  9. Final sanding/buffing per piece (10 - 30 minutes)
  10. Assembly of pen total (3 - 5 minutes)
I have tried to figure how to make money turning pens and have issues charging what it would actually cost to make a pen @ $20/hr and add profit. Some kits costing tens of dollars makes it even more challenging. Looking at Etsy pricing even makes it more discouraging.

So, I just enjoy the process and give most of my pens to family and sell at cost to friends that see one I'm using and inquire.

Fine Engineer

I think this is working the problem backwards. Your time is a 'soft' cost, as opposed to the actual cash outlay for the various supplies.
So take the hard cost of materials and subtract that from the price sold. The difference is what you are being paid for your time. That's when you decide if the effort is worth it, or a viable business. This would automatically account (though not in a line-item way) for all time spent including marketing, show attendance logistics, etc. If you can find the niche where you can get a better price for your goods, that helps.

As artisans, I don't think craft sales like these are ever a significantly profitable business. The best most people ever achieve is a few percent above break even. To make any real money from this, you would need to go into full production mode, with significant distribution, mostly online. This would also involve competing against other production manufacturers of the various types of pens. And that is really counter to the reason most of us got into this in the first place.

Dannv

I do not sell my pens, although I haven't made enough to sell even if I wanted to. :)

From what I have seen, very few people sell pens for a price that even comes close to paying them a reasonable wage, or even minimum wage after you take out the costs of the kits, blanks, glue, finish, sand paper, etc., etc. (We won't even get into the costs of lathes and tools.)

I have a visual impairment so it takes me longer than most, I expect, to make a pen. But, if I batch drilling and gluing tubes in (I use 5 minute epoxy and let it cure over night) I can then make two pens in an afternoon, start of turning to finish (CA,) including setup and cleanup. A kitless pen is taking be 3 to 4 afternoons, but I'm still working out the process on that.

All that said, based on costs and time, I don't think any pen should sell for under $40 and no matter the pen, the price goes up based on the cost of the parts. No kitless pen should sell for under $200 and should go up based in quality and features (clips, trim, etc., etc.) Of course, this is all just my opinion and YMMV. :)

its_virgil

Just and Example and Food for thought:
$30 (kit, blank, supplies, etc) + $20 Labor = $50 COG ( Cost Of Goods)
A margin of 35% means the pen would sell for $76.92 [(COG)/(1-.35)]
$76.92 Revenue
$26.92 Profit (and the $20 labor goes to the maker. Usually us, me, you or whoever did the actual work)

jttheclockman

Larry makes solid points if you are comparing the time to make a pen and sell it. Man my scrollsaw work would never be able to feed my family as well as my pen making. It is a side hustle for many. You do have to take in consideration cost of venues to sell. Setting up and taking down. How many times you going to carry that pen to a from a show are all cost that need to get factored in. even if you sell on line there are hidden costs such a sending, collecting taxes and doing paper work and so on. That is why I said impossible to put a number on making a pen and selling. Just another one of those numbers that does not play into my thoughts.

Just look at Don's numbers above this. They all hold true if you sell pen right away from your shop and out the door. Factor in what I said and those labor numbers surpass the pen goods price in a hurry.

egnald

Lot's of adult diapers here- Depends, I can usually make a two barrel rollerball using wood in about 4 total hours of actual working time, including a custom turned cabochon for the finial. I did batch out a few Sierra style thin red line pens a while back and was able to turn out about 4 in the same 4 hours. There are simply too many variables to consider - number of barrels, wood or plastic, batch size, type of finish, etc.

I don't make pens for sale, but if I did, I think I would have to ask 3 times the cost of my materials or more in order to feel good about it. I also think personal sales like from a booth or table in a craft fair type venue command a higher price because the seller isn't just selling the pen, but the backstory and what makes it special and unique -- why the wood is called a burl, the wood is only found on the tiny African island of Madagascar, it is a true Rosewood from Costa Rica that is now banned from import or export, it is teak that came from the deck of the USS Missouri, the plastic/blank is unique and was made individually by a fellow artisan from Carolina, the wood came from a tree growing in the Sinai desert that was harvested by special permission by the government of Israel, etc. etc.

Perhaps you can get an idea by looking at the "Our Customers Sell This For:" page for a similar pen style and finish as it shows up on the PSI web site. For example, the average price of a gold plated "Big Ben" cigar style is $51 with a range of $24 to $100 depending on the seller and materials. Here is a link to the information for this particular pen: Big Ben Sell This For.

Regards,
Dave

leehljp

Member Liaison
Not mentioned directly above but hinted at: For those that sell pens and give out some basic stats such as how much they get for their pens, there seems to be a huge gap between the prices people get for finishing quick (and cheap) versus those that take the time to make a superb finish and get a great price for their pens.

A well finished pen that takes numerous hours to finish can get $500 - $2000 or more.
A quick finish gets one $25 - $50.00 depending on location.

I would rather focus on the time to finish four or five $500+ pens that people admire - than 50 of the $25-$50 pens that don't build up my reputation as a pen maker.

As Ken wrote: "Not long enough, a finished pen can be anti climatic. I enjoy the process more than the finale.'

Todd in PA

I just did my first craft show, and sold enough pens to make me want to do another. I was able to production a batch of identical 1-tube sierras at just under 1 hour per pen. My rollerballs are in the 2-3 hour range. I'm proud of the rollerballs. I'm meh on the sierras. IMO too much of the visible real estate on a sierra is not my work (3" of 5" I bought, not made).

I put some money back in my pocket, and that makes me happy to buy more supplies. It's an expensive hobby if nothings coming in. But I've tracked my expenses and I'm still -5,111.12. So if anyone's salivating over my post about selling $1,410 in one weekend, that should give context.

The fact is I'm enjoying it and am not in it to make money to pay my bills. It's good to know how long something takes to make, and to know you can trim that number in production mode. But if you're not enjoying what you do then it's just another chore.

Todd

jcm71

Here's a link to my post on this subject from 2017.

I still get asked the same question several times a show. I have modified my response somewhat. I now say that it depends on the pen and other factors, including me. If it is a simple pen and Venus is aligned with Mars, (in other words I'm clicking), I am capable of making a simple pen in about 30-45 minutes, but I don't. As others have stated, I, too, enjoy the process. I throw in that if I am not on a roll, the very same pen can take twice as long the next day, and that I have found that the faster I try to make a pen, the longer it takes.

mobyturns

5 minutes plus 20 years of experience. 🙂

My answer always is - "depends! Who's asking?"

Honestly, with my segmenting with inlay banding blanks and pen making it has to be done in reasonable batches & quantities because the setup time is a killer. To do a "one off" commission that would have to be factored into any quotation, especially if for some reason I could not use the remainder of the banding block in other work. The turning and finishing time pales against the stock prep, cutting, glue up, blank construction time.

jrista

Maybe this was meant as a joke...?

Even with 20 years of experience...I'd have to see this... 5 minutes, for the entire process, start to finish, cutting the blank, drilling, trimming and turning it, sanding and finishing it...

I don't think it matters how experienced you are, I don't think its possible to make a pen in a mere 5 minutes. I think the same could even be said about 10, 15, 20 minutes. Even if you could...what kind of pen would it be? You would not have any time to pay any care to quality... It would most likely exhibit a multitude of defects and issues...

jttheclockman

Maybe this was meant as a joke...?

Even with 20 years of experience...I'd have to see this... 5 minutes, for the entire process, start to finish, cutting the blank, drilling, trimming and turning it, sanding and finishing it...

I don't think it matters how experienced you are, I don't think its possible to make a pen in a mere 5 minutes. I think the same could even be said about 10, 15, 20 minutes. Even if you could...what kind of pen would it be? You would not have any time to pay any care to quality... It would most likely exhibit a multitude of defects and issues...
I think it was a joke. 5 min. is a stretch (with that said there were some people here that could do this) but 15 to 20 minutes is very doable especially if the production line is used and acrylics are used instead of woods and even then if you do not do a CA finish it can be done. Maybe even a CA finish if you use accelorator. Heck there is a person here that sell 1000's of pens a year here and really was into the production line thing. I forgot what he said he could do a pen in but it was fast.

Find some of the older threads and read about some of the older turners that passed through here. Pen turning at its best. Here is one that is in line with question.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/10-000-hours.120852/#post-1649584

Last edited:

RunnerVince

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I know there are so many variables, but it's nice to see that most of you are in the 45-120 minute range. I know I'm not going to get rich doing this, and I very much enjoy my time out on my balcony workshop. But I am also interested in getting better, and part of that process sometimes involves comparisons. Also, as much as I enjoy my time, I also want it to be productive, just for the sense of accomplishment I get. So if I'm "wasting" time doing two steps where one would do just fine, I'd like to know.

I've given pens to pretty much everyone I know at this point, so unless I start giving them to the cashiers at the grocery store and the pizza delivery guy, I either need to start selling more or just resign myself to the fact that my children will have to deal with thousands of pens when I die. 😛

Todd in PA

I've given pens to pretty much everyone I know at this point, so … I either need to start selling more or … deal with thousands of pens when I die. 😛
Second this. It's why I did my first craft show. And why I'll do another. Because I like making them. It's nice to replenish my inventory from money coming in. But I'd make the pens either way.

Todd in PA

I made a website for Waddle Woodturnings. When someone signs up for the newsletter, this is the letter they get in their inbox.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING
WADDLE WOODTURNINGS

"There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write."

I can't really say what has called me to make ink pens. It's a bit of strange thing to pursue, no? But something has attracted me to this unusual hobby.
For one, I think wooden pens are just beautiful! And having such a lovely writing instrument has led me looking for things to write. So I've resumed journaling, which is something I haven't done in decades. This personal writing has proven meaningful and even transformative.

A friend commented on my pen and so I made one for him. I told him what kind of wood it was made from and what ink it uses, but really I was hoping that the unique item would inspire him to write something--unique.

And so I kept making pens. Each one teaching me something new about pen crafting. And each one a potential opportunity for someone else to write something she didn't expect to write.

I invite you to look around my website and I hope that maybe you'll see an item that inspires you to want to write something unexpected too!

Todd Hawbaker
Waddle Woodturnings
https://waddlewoodturnings.com

Some may say it's a bit hokey. People who like personal writing are interesting to talk to. And people that enjoy writing appreciate nice pens. I do it for those reasons.

mobyturns

Yes, a reference to the old joke about why I'm being charged so much to complete a 5 minute job.

My point, experience has a lot to do with the time taken, but its more about the level of quality one wishes to produce. I've seen many single tube kit pens for sale such as Gatsbys / Sierras, etc that are so poorly made and finished with a friction polish etc that an experienced turner certainly could do better in 5 minutes.

When you see a professional production spindle turner in action, it is truly amazing how fast they knock items out. Anthony Hansen (QLD Australia) knocks out eggs in less than 90 seconds, 40 plus per hour at the lathe. That is from picking up a pre-prepared square blank, mount it in a chuck, turn, sand, finish with two generous coats of quality shellac then into a bulk box for wholesale to customers. The eggs are beautiful, well shaped, excellent off the tool finish including the nub, with barely a touch with #320 sandpaper, then finish.

For me the segmented blank construction and finishing are the most time consuming steps in the process. I have refined tooling and my skew skills so that I rarely commence sanding under #400 but that is very dependent upon timber selection. Items such as mandrel savers and high quality ER collet chucks make the process easier & more efficient. Your environment also has a significant influence on the curing of a finish. I'm in the dry tropics which is excellent for applying CA finishes. Significant time savings can be made through batching all steps.

Typical turning process is a batch run, off the skew, no sanding, apply one generous coat of thin CA, light application of accelerator stand aside, same for next 10 or more blanks. Then re-mount blanks sand #400, 600, 800, 1200 with high quality "sandpaper," one coat thin CA, light misting with accelerator, 4 coats CA, accelerator, repeat 4 CA then accelerator, further 3 coats CA no accelerator, stand aside. next blank etc. I have refined my CA finish process to the point that each tube takes less than 6 minutes using that process. Probably with 60 - 90 seconds waiting for the last 3 coats of CA to cure sufficiently to handle. I aim for at least 10 tubes per hour. Let stand at least 24 hours for the CA to fully cure. Sanding out / polishing the CA takes less than 2 minutes per tube. Assembly requires care with time taken very dependent upon kit design and quality. My posted Yosegi pens were done using this process. The difference in assembly time between a Cambridge vs Roman Harvest kits which are essentially the 'same' is a case in point. Each item in the Cambridge kit is in a separate zip lock bag where as the Roman Harvest comes mostly pre-assembled and takes approx half the time to assemble over the Cambridge.

Personally I measure production in quality, not speed, however I'm very aware that there is a limited market for 'high end' expensive pens so I aim to achieve a balance between quality and cost.

Last edited:

ramaroodle

A well finished pen that takes numerous hours to finish can get $500 - $2000 or more.
Can you show us an example of what a $500 or better yet $2k pen looks like and is made of? I am genuinely curious, not asking in jest. Where do you sell such an instrument?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Can you show us an example of what a $500 or better yet $2k pen looks like and is made of? I am genuinely curious, not asking in jest. Where do you sell such an instrument?
I don't sell them, but I watch those here who do.
Where: The Ginza (Tokyo), Rome, London, New York, Singapore etc.
Two guys that do and whose work are seen below and there are a few others here that do (or others who started here and moved on to full time pen creations that now do).

Probably 98% of the time, such high end pens are fountain pens.
For me - $500 pen - when I lived in Japan - 12 years ago.

Last edited:

SecLoSo

Tons of amazing answers but thought I might throw in my 2¢. It really depends on the quality of the work Ive been turning for well over half my life and am fortunate enough to be in multiple stores/galleries. I turn multiple items every single day specifically hybrid's and complex segments. I find that the time can very from 30 minutes for a quick acrylic cigar pen (with my full finish process thats unrivaled :D) to a good couple days for a complex segment or a specialty piece that can go for a couple grand.

It all depends on the woodturner but I think I speak fir most of us when I say its at least a couple years due to me sitting on that damn blank I paid way to much for before deciding what to make with it!! Other then that though go at your own pace and youll have it down in no time! If you ever need any advice please feel free to reach out

leehljp

Member Liaison
Tons of amazing answers but thought I might throw in my 2¢. It really depends on the quality of the work Ive been turning for well over half my life and am fortunate enough to be in multiple stores/galleries. I turn multiple items every single day specifically hybrid's and complex segments. I find that the time can very from 30 minutes for a quick acrylic cigar pen (with my full finish process thats unrivaled :D) to a good couple days for a complex segment or a specialty piece that can go for a couple grand.

It all depends on the woodturner but I think I speak fir most of us when I say its at least a couple years due to me sitting on that damn blank I paid way to much for before deciding what to make with it!! Other then that though go at your own pace and youll have it down in no time! If you ever need any advice please feel free to reach out
😁 I know the feeling. Way back when I turned the one below, which was my first complex (easy to have a blowout) with only moderate experience at that time - For every time I turned the lathe on, I turned it off half the time wondering if I wanted to take the next move/turn. While it looks simple, one little knick would have sent the parts flying. It was a learning experience in patience and thinking it through totally, and relying on very sensitive tactile feedback and touch.

Holly and plastic black - simple looking but extremely delicate (for me).

RGVPens

I don't sell them, but I watch those here who do.
Where: The Ginza (Tokyo), Rome, London, New York, Singapore etc.
Two guys that do and whose work are seen below and there are a few others here that do (or others who started here and moved on to full time pen creations that now do).

Probably 98% of the time, such high end pens are fountain pens.
For me - $500 pen - when I lived in Japan - 12 years ago.
I looke through the two links you posted...WOW, that's some nice work. But finding a buyer at that level would be really tough!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I looke through the two links you posted...WOW, that's some nice work. But finding a buyer at that level would be really tough!
These are usually consigned to very high end retail stores and some of them with special clientele. Finding buyers are not that difficult with that quality in those locations.

Woodchipper

A pen turner said he could $25 for a certain pen in a certain city. Another place that is more upscale, he gets $35 for the same pen. It's knowing your market. Sort of like the difference between a Ford Escape and Rolls-Royce. Both will get you from one place to another...it's just what you can afford. It's the old saying: If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

mick

Do you mean...

i

Ten minutes, or so.

You tell em Don!

Top Bottom