How long does BOW take to dry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just got my first order of BOW and boy is it oily. The Olive I get from my friend in very dry compared to this Olive. How long does it take to dry out? Should I do something to "push" the drying process? I can put it in an oven but I sure don't want to split it. Thanks for any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

Best course would be to weigh the batch, put it into a paper bag and then weigh it again periodically. When the weight stabilizes (starts to go up and down with the weather) it has acclimated.
If the wood was "green" when you got it you are in for a wait.
I bought some desiccant beads to try out not long ago and it does work but its still not fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dieseldoc

I just got my first order of BOW and boy is it oily. The Olive I get from my friend in very dry compared to this Olive. How long does it take to dry out? Should I do something to "push" the drying process? I can put it in an oven but I sure don't want to split it. Thanks for any advice.
Tom: My experience from cutting Olive wood from the valley Oakdale are it takes year air drying before I try to do anything with it. after cutting blanks I will let it dry two or there more months to get it dry. 8% 0r less. I just last week check the olive I cut last year and it still at 60 percent.

PenPal

I cut down to virtual size then put it in my roof space with a house fan running 24/7. Use a test group and weigh every week,no change ready to go,no warping.

Attachments

• Blanks drying in the roof.JPG
    Blanks drying in the roof.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 126

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Tom, I ordered some silicon beads from Amazon a couple of years ago. But, I have no info to report on them. I do know they work.
Just a thought.

Tom, I ordered some silicon beads from Amazon a couple of years ago. But, I have no info to report on them. I do know they work.
Just a thought.

Thanks Chuck. I have a big box of the beads that I've used in the past. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I tested the moisture content tonight and it's off the charts. My moisture meter goes to 35% and it hit 35% without any trouble. Might be a bit of time before I can use them, but I have some time...I hope. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Chuck. I have a big box of the beads that I've used in the past. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I tested the moisture content tonight and it's off the charts. My moisture meter goes to 35% and it hit 35% without any trouble. Might be a bit of time before I can use them, but I have some time...I hope. I'll let you know what the outcome is.
Good deal Tom. Check them in a few days. I know those beads are very thirsty. :)

I've never dried BOW, but I often will try a roughed out bowl in the microwave.... I have an old Montgomery Wards oven in my shop that I picked up at Habit and use it often.... run the wood about 2 or 3 minutes, let it cool completely, check the moisture and repeat until reaches level I need. ..rarely have had one crack... I did set a stack of pen blanks on fire by running too long and forgetting they were in the oven.... microwave wood smoke STINKS.

Haven't tried the beads... sound like something I may need to try.... don't have much green wood right now, but do have some that's been outside in the rain for a while...

Top Bottom