How large a blank can go out of casting resin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valin6210

Aside from the quantity of material needed, is there any reason not to cast blanks for pepper mills out of casting resin?

Would there be a strength issue with something that big and then cutting a large hole through the middle?

For reference the pepper mills need to start with at least a 2 1/2" square blank and then get about a 1" hole cut out of the center.

Cheers,
-Rich

Fred Bruche

Maybe do a cost analysis first if you are going to offer these for sale.
Heat could be an issue, depending on the resin you use.
You could have a mold with a 1" wood dowel in the center, that would save some resin.

Stubach

Could also make a custom blank mold using silicone and or PVC to leave the hole hollow. I've seen makers on YouTube create tubes of silicone they suspend in resin blanks to create a void for various reasons so no reason you couldn't do the same with yours. Again would save the resin and the stress of drilling that large of a hole.

im picturing in my head a PvC length with painters tape or a custom silicone stopper on one end with a Silicon rod in the center. May need to reinforce the silicone with a steal bar or something internally though?

Deep pour resin only to mitigate the heat issue but if walls are only half an inch or less thick I wouldn't thing it would be too big of an issue?

JohnU

Alumilite slow works just fine for pepper mill blanks. Because it cures slower, there's less heat to cause thermal cracking. I've made some of these casts for a good friend who likes to make them. I cast them round. PVC will work as a mold but it can sometimes present challenges during remolding. Look for a plastic container with a recycle code #5, the size you want for a mold like armor all wipes or a one liter pop container. The grocery store is full of potential molds, only most of them are a one time use.

Top Bottom