How It Started. How It Ended

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

IMG_5620.jpeg

The blank started as a layered blank going the opposite way. A couple of slices on bandsaw and here ya go. Comments, questions, concerns welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

View attachment 364301

The blank started as a layered blank going the opposite way. A couple of slices on bandsaw and here ya go. Comments, questions, concerns welcome.
I wish people would give details when they post a pen so we do not have to ask all the time. What kit is that what is the blank made of? I see what looks like a stacked acrylic blank. what did you glue the sheets together with if you did make the blank. Thanks. I like the look and kit goes well with blank.

hewunch

I wish people would give details when they post a pen so we do not have to ask all the time. What kit is that what is the blank made of? I see what looks like a stacked acrylic blank. what did you glue the sheets together with if you did make the blank. Thanks. I like the look and kit goes well with blank.
No problem. Having just gotten rolling again this year, I don't know how common individual kits are. Kit is the Vesper from Exotics. Gun Metal. I got the acrylic blank from Berea Hardwoods. It was already layered as you see in the picture. I just cut it and stacked the other way. I used 5 min epoxy for the tube and to sack the 3 pieces of blank together.

jttheclockman

No problem. Having just gotten rolling again this year, I don't know how common individual kits are. Kit is the Vesper from Exotics. Gun Metal. I got the acrylic blank from Berea Hardwoods. It was already layered as you see in the picture. I just cut it and stacked the other way. I used 5 min epoxy for the tube and to sack the 3 pieces of blank together.
Thanks. I really like that kit. I am going to have to try some of them. What is your take on that kit? It is sleek and not gaudy.

hewunch

Thanks. I really like that kit. I am going to have to try some of them. What is your take on that kit? It is sleek and not gaudy.
I like the kit so far. I like the Schmidt Click mech the best (Sierra Super Button, Duraclick, et al), but this is 1/2 the price and seems good. I will know more the longer I use it. It is quite sleek. This feels like a better version of the discontinued Manhattan from CSUSA. It has a 10mm tube which leaves more meat on the blank than the Manhattan or Sierra. Also, it has the same finished diameter as a sierra. Hope that is helpful.

hewunch

bugradx2

I like the kit so far. I like the Schmidt Click mech the best (Sierra Super Button, Duraclick, et al), but this is 1/2 the price and seems good. I will know more the longer I use it. It is quite sleek. This feels like a better version of the discontinued Manhattan from CSUSA. It has a 10mm tube which leaves more meat on the blank than the Manhattan or Sierra. Also, it has the same finished diameter as a sierra. Hope that is helpful.
I have one of these kits sitting in the shop right now that "we" ordered for my wife to use. She's supposed to come in the shop and make it. I may just make it to try it at this point! I like the concept of the finished diameter of the sierra, I use a diamond knurl as my daily writer, she likes the diameter but prefers the click pen

jttheclockman

Going to have to get some of these. Thanks Was wonder what clicker they used and glad to see it is a good one.

One other question, is that gun metal or a black version?? Hard to tell from photo. Thanks.

Last edited:

KenB259

I like the way the pen looks, but I misread your explanation about the click mechanism. It is not a Schmidt mechanism, I misread it thinking you said it was. The mechanism looks to me the same as a vertex. All in all though, a nice looking pen.

jttheclockman

I like the way the pen looks, but I misread your explanation about the click mechanism. It is not a Schmidt mechanism, I misread it thinking you said it was. The mechanism looks to me the same as a vertex. All in all though, a nice looking pen.
Good catch Ken. I read it the same way and was going to order those. You saved me. I am using nothing but the schmidt ones.

Top Bottom