How is the barrel trim adapter tube used?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I bought this legacy barrel trimmer set. The adapter tube is suppose to be used for 8mm trimming. Has anyone used this or know how it's suppose to be used? The kit has a 3/8", 7 mm, 8 mm and 10 mm pilot shafts. Thanks!
Bobby

Attachments

• barrel trimmer.jpg
    barrel trimmer.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Just slip it over the 7mm shaft when trimming an 8mm tube (slim line pencil). NOTE: If pointed down while drilling it could slip off.

bsshog40

Thanks Vic. I wonder why the set would have an 8mm shaft but you have to use the adapter on the 7mm shaft?

Gary Beasley

Did you buy the set used? The adaptor is just a 7mm tube, they fit inside the 8mm pretty easy and the previous owner figured out this is a good way of using an 8mm kit without disassembling the cutter making it easier to go back to work on slims.

Paul in OKC

The adapter tube is for larger than the shaft included in the kit. For larger tubed pens, you would make a 'blank' that is turned to the ID of the tube and then use as normal. I do this for all my pens as I only have the 7mm shaft, and have made a couple of different diameter adapters for what I make using extra 7mm tubes.

bsshog40

Well I was doing some 8mm pen kits. I bought the set new from the woodturning store. It has an 8mm shaft in the kit but when I went to barrel trim, it started to marr the insides of my tubes. I decided to just clean the glue off the ends with it and used my 7mm shaft on the barrel trimmer to trim the ends. I actually think the shaft was not exactly straight as I was getting a slight wobble with in on my drill press. I turned it all around the press and readjusted the barrel trimmer to the shaft but never could get rid of the slight wobble. None of the shafts are marked but it fit in the tube just as good as my 7mm shaft fit in the 7mm tubes. I'm betting a defective 8mm shaft.

Top Bottom