How I Marbled this Virage Quintet...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

(and lived to tell about it):

As promised to those who've kindly indulged my little marbling obsession, i.e.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/meet-mr-mrs-marbling;-marbled-pens-149261/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/marblings-beget-quadruplets-149275/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/marbling-craze-continues;-new-quintet-149479/

Here is one of many ways to do it - a quintet of Virages for a local book binder/antique book restorer who lives a marbelous life; steps:

The size: Methocel (methyl cellulose), 1.5TBS + 64oz/half gallon of warm water + 1TBS ammonia + 1tsp white distilled vinegar - mixed with a wire whisk, covered, left overnight at room temperature to "debubble". Lasts about 2 weeks - longer if refrigerated.

The mordant: Alum, 6tbs. mixed with 1 qt. of warm water - can be used immediately, lasts a long time.

The paper: I used master marbler Galen Berry's favorite: Texoprint, thin and durable - check out his website:
The Art of Marbling -- Marbled Paper & Marbling Supplies

Alum sponged onto the Texoprint paper - wear gloves because alum is a bit caustic.
Dried paper run through the Xyron to apply dry adhesive to the non-alum side.
Paper adhered to brass pen tubes, then trimmed.
(I vacuum-sealed the tubes to avoid alum oxidation/weakening while I was away camping for a week)
Methocel size (thickened water) poured slowly into a clean 64oz. plastic yogurt container (ideal diameter and depth for color concentration on the surface and depth for dipping tubes)
Golden high flow acrylic paints dropped carefully onto the surface of the size using makeshift brushes from whisk broom bristles glued onto Qtips, static and electric toothbrushes for tiny drops, fan brushes, etc. (and more about paint choices in forthcoming posts).
Home-made rakes (Tpins/balsa/dowels) and bamboo skewers used to make the painting.
Pair of top-stoppered paper covered tubes slowly wiggled down through the most interesting parts of the painting - up to the hilt.
Surrounding painting then cleared away to permit clean up-exit of the tubes out of the painting.
Marbled tubes immediately but gently wiggled around and rinsed in a separate yogurt container of fresh water to clear off the size.
Rinsed tubes hung out to dry on an improvised Tinker Toy-like setup that came to mind some time in my dreams (actually works quite well).
Dried tubes sealed with Krylon spray - or could have airbrushed them with Createx gloss top coat.
Sealed tubes left to dry for 3 days.
Pressure-cast at 50psi, tube-in using Douglas and Sturgess PR (clear casting resin) blinged with some metal flakes.
Turned and finished as usual.

Pix:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll post my direct tube marbling method and some other techniques soon - all of this is evolving (and fun).

Hope this helps.

Best regards to all - Bob

Attachments

• VirageMarbled5Tutorial,markison,2017,page1,1000px.jpg
    VirageMarbled5Tutorial,markison,2017,page1,1000px.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 1,153
  • VirageMarbled5Tutorial,markison,2017,page2,1000px.jpg
    VirageMarbled5Tutorial,markison,2017,page2,1000px.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 912
  • VirageMarbled5Tutorial,markison,2017,page3,1000px.jpg
    VirageMarbled5Tutorial,markison,2017,page3,1000px.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Thanks, Bob! We've been experimenting with plain water and bare tubes using Testors model paint and with fingernail polish.

Your process is more complicated, and the results are beautiful! The gold leaf adds a lot to the blanks - very pretty.:)

magpens

Thank you very much, Bob !! . It is going to involve some time to take this in.

All your threads are very welcome.

Where do you buy your Tinkertoys, or are they leftovers from earlier days ??? :biggrin:

Last edited:

OZturner

Thank you Bob,
I think I shall have to put it on the back Burner for a while, at least until I figure out how to Increase the size of my "Car-less Garage" Workshop.
Love the results.
Brian.

mecompco

Bob, thanks for the details! I'd never heard of a Zyron--very cool. Also never thought of dipping the blank. I've been printing the paper first, using a clear template to cut out a section I want, then adhering it to the tube and casting it. It's tricky to more-or-less hide the seam. With dipping, that wouldn't be a problem. I'm going to try it. :)

Regards,
Michael

Charlie_W

Bob,
Thanks for the excellent write up and photos! Doing a straight vertical dip and clean exit beats The rolling method and does not have the paint lap from rolling.
This write up should be in the IAP Library for sure!

Beautiful pens too!

mecompco

Bob, I love the gold flakes--do they float on the size, or do you sprinkle them on after the dip?

For those who haven't tried this, it's pretty easy once you have all the "stuff" and go through the process a couple of times. It's almost magical to see paint that's just floating transfer right to the paper and stay there.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Kudos for the detailed explanation Bob!

Now I know what to use all those Tinker Toys for... Any suggestions for Lincoln Logs?

I will agree with several previous comments; the Gold Flakes are a wonderful element, and a Library Article (or series) would be nice.

Thanks for sharing. OH - The finished pens are beautiful! :)

Thank you sir! It was very generous of you to take the time to share with us how you make these beautiful pens.

As soon as I read "How I Marbled" I knew it as a post from you and dove right in! Thanks again.

Bob in SF

Chris: I'll post a water method soon - quick, simple, and a bit thrilling (as in "this tape will self-destruct in 5 seconds").

Mal: I have suffered an irrepressible Tinker Toy flashback - no ten step/ten stick rehab program in sight.
I used:
Ideal Fiddlestix 144 Piece Classic Wood Connector Set (amazon.com) for this go around, plus some little clip hooks to hold the stoppered tubes:
Hang or Clip Almost Anywhere Kids Art Craft Display 48 Clip Hook Set Stainless Steel, Each Hook Is in 0.5" (amazon.com)

Brian/Ozturner - Marbling takes up very little space - try it - marble your car and keep it outside with pride.

Michael: Zyron is cool - multipurpose.
I mix the flakes in with the resin, then cast tube-in.

Charlie: nothing like a clean exit (probably a quote from Houdini)

Thanks, Jim, Lewis, Gordon, Nic, Mark, Jay, Bryan, and other adventurers!

PS: This (early) AM I came up with a hybrid marbling technique that may shake the earth's mantle (beyond our usual West Coast subduction of the tectonic plates) - and that's a hint - stay tuned.

Happy Tuesday - Bob

PS: try marbling! - it's duck soup (assuming there are marbled ducks out there) when you get the hang of it - marbled ash veneer for inlay into a turned trumpet mute:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Marblin,DuckSoup,markison,2017,600px.jpg
    Marblin,DuckSoup,markison,2017,600px.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 322

Bob in SF

Thanks, John!

I reviewed the mudhole videos - not really marbling but good use of pigment-charged epoxy as a paint - should work well on pen tubes - not sure whether it's possible to classically marble onto floating epoxies - but certainly worth a try - would probably start by mixing them into a painting on nonstick parchment paper or a geli plate, then roll the tube over it - might try it.

Thanks again.

duncsuss

I'm slowly accumulating all the bits and pieces necessary to try marbling -- the last item was some of the Texoprint paper from Galen Berry. What a nice person! And a real treat when the envelope arrived -- his little guide notes plus a few samples of his own superb marbling :biggrin:

duncsuss

First hurdle ... the Xyron stickerizer is a fraction too small to take the strip of paper that fully wraps the brass tube I wanted to work with :rolleyes:

I'll try using the "barber-pole spiral up the tube" method to get it completely covered :cool:

OZturner

Bob, Thank you for taking so much of your Precious Time to Generate such a Detailed, and Extensive Explanation of the Materials, Procedures, and Processes you employ to create your Fantastic Marbling.
You are a most Generous, Multi Material, Talented Artist.
Kindest Regards, my Friend.
Brian.

Top Bottom