How I go about making my rounded scallops. (Pic intensive, may load slowly)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

I was asked how I did the scallops in this pen:

Kojentrb1-4.jpg

I am not sure if this is how others do this, it is just something that I tried and worked for me. I apologize if this is redundant information.

1. Pick out your blank materials. I am using black palm, 0.032 aluminum, and a red/yellow acrylic that I cast the other day. Cut the main body to approximate tube length to make it easier to work with.
  2. Square up the blanks.
  3. Mark your cuts on both pieces as shown. I am using a 45 degree cut here but you can use whatever you feel like as long as it is consistent throughout the build.
roundedscallops1.jpg

4. Take to the bandsaw and cut the blanks. It is helpful if you have a jig to keep the angles consistent. You want to be as precise as possible with these cuts as it will determine how the entire design lines up at the end. This is also a great test to see if your bandsaw is out of alignment (ask me how I know this).

roundedscallops2.jpg

5. Cut your veneer into a strip the same width as your blank. Once done, hold it against the angle of your main body piece like so:

roundedscallops3.jpg

6. Flip it over and mark the veneer right where it meets the top, making sure that it is properly aligned with the body.

roundedscallops4.jpg

7. Take the piece to your vise, being careful to not clamp it down too tightly as you can easily distort aluminum that is this thin. Set it so that the mark you made is flush with the top of the jaws of the vice. In order to ensure that it is correct, check it with a square.

roundedscallops5.jpg

8. Using a highly precise plastic persuasion implement, bend the aluminum over so that it is at a sharp 90 degrees.

roundedscallops6.jpg

9. Place the aluminum back on the base piece and mark it right at the edge and cut it.

roundedscallops8.jpg

10. Scuff the heck out of all the surfaces, especially the aluminum. When you are done scuffing, scuff it again. Afterwards, wipe all surfaces down with rubbing alcohol to remove any sanding dust. This needs to be rough and clean. Lay down your epoxy between all mating surfaces and clamp at the ends to force the pieces together snugly. Do not over tighten as you are essentially driving a wedge into the acrylic piece here.

roundedscallops9.jpg

11. Once your epoxy is cured, take it to the bandsaw and remove the excess acrylic. You can cut it as close to the aluminum as you like as you will be removing most of it anyway in the next steps. It is important that everything is flush and square so it is time to re-square the blank again. If you did everything right, it should look like this.

roundedscallops10.jpg

12. Rotate the blank 90 degrees and we now repeat the entire process. Mark the angles exactly the same as you did in step 3.

roundedscallops11.jpg

13. Off to the band saw and make your cuts. It is critical that they are even on each side, where the arrows show in the above picture. You should start your cuts exactly where the aluminum meets the wood.

roundedscallops12.jpg

If you did everything right, it should look like a perfect "X" from the top

roundedscallops13.jpg

14. Scuff, clean, and epoxy the pieces together just as you did before. Once it is set, trim the excess off. Square up the blank a 3rd time and you are ready to begin drilling for the tube.

roundedscallops14.jpg

@jttheclockman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Your photos are excellent. I believe another IAP member uses a similar process for the angled aluminum, bending vs cutting. He may choose to add info. This works well after all the tweaks! Thanks for sharing.

jttheclockman

Thank you Michael for the photos and explanation. Seeing it with photos explains it more easily. It is a different way of doing scallops and your cuts are sharp and precise and the thinness of the aluminum helps make the bending easier and more crisp. I may have to try this method one day. I have bookmarked this thread. Thanks again.

Aces-High

So, when i was making these by bending the metal, I would use my jig saw with the thinnest blade and score the back of the metal where I want the bend. The removed metal would lend to a better angle at the tip.

Jason

Attachments

• BB9465A5-2FC2-48AA-AE30-E97BC5FA65FB.jpeg
    BB9465A5-2FC2-48AA-AE30-E97BC5FA65FB.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 118

TDahl

Thank you Michael for sharing your very detailed and thorough tutorial. It is posts like yours that make us all better at our craft!

Thanks again.

Painfullyslow

I'm curious how you get the little arch in the V here... I was thinking that was just a product of the pen being round...but looking at it more, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not quite seeing how to get a nice rounded arch, vs. a more sharp, pointed inverted V...

It is exactly as I described. Steps 1-11 are actually making that rounded arch in between the "V". You cut away the bulk of that work in step 12 when you turn the blank 90 degrees and repeat the process. Maybe that needs clarification so...

at the end of step 12 you should be left with this

roundedscallops13.jpg

You then repeat steps 5-10

roundedscallops3.jpg

roundedscallops4.jpg

roundedscallops5.jpg

roundedscallops6.jpg

roundedscallops8.jpg

roundedscallops9.jpg

Also, @Aces-High had a great idea to notch the back but I specifically did not do this because I wanted a more rounded profile at the bend.

I am far from an expert here. I have only been into this hobby for just about a month but my thinking is that by bending a single piece of aluminum as I have shown rather than using two pieces which intersect provides a more gradual curve. Sort of like a "U" shape instead of a "V" shape, if that makes sense.

Attachments

• roundedscallops11.jpg
    roundedscallops11.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 65
  • roundedscallops12.jpg
    roundedscallops12.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Fine Engineer

This is interesting. I've been doing a similar thing, but I get an extra 'V' that you don't. The only real difference that I see is I'm using thinner metal for the insert.
Your method gives an 'arch over the V', and mine puts an extra 'V under the arch' if that makes sense. I like your version better as it seems less sensitive to slight misalignments. Take a look at this photo, and zoom in on the scallop portion on the lower half to see what I mean.
0123221622.jpg

Any idea what the difference is?

jrista

It is exactly as I described. Steps 1-11 are actually making that rounded arch in between the "V". You cut away the bulk of that work in step 12 when you turn the blank 90 degrees and repeat the process. Maybe that needs clarification so...

at the end of step 12 you should be left with this

View attachment 331841

You then repeat steps 5-10

Also, @Aces-High had a great idea to notch the back but I specifically did not do this because I wanted a more rounded profile at the bend.

I am far from an expert here. I have only been into this hobby for just about a month but my thinking is that by bending a single piece of aluminum as I have shown rather than using two pieces which intersect provides a more gradual curve. Sort of like a "U" shape instead of a "V" shape, if that makes sense.

Hmm, I'm not visualizing it yet... I will have to give this a try and actually see the result I think.

Fine Engineer

I think I see what the difference is. What I've been doing is putting the second cut back together - that is using the bottom section that I had cut before that has the remnants of the first cut still there. In your process, the bottom of the second cut is clean, with no insert material. I'll give that a try on my next pen.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, this helps.

Jeff

Painfullyslow

This is interesting. I've been doing a similar thing, but I get an extra 'V' that you don't. The only real difference that I see is I'm using thinner metal for the insert.
Your method gives an 'arch over the V', and mine puts an extra 'V under the arch' if that makes sense. I like your version better as it seems less sensitive to slight misalignments. Take a look at this photo, and zoom in on the scallop portion on the lower half to see what I mean.
View attachment 331854

Any idea what the difference is?

This is just a guess that the difference lies with the kerf of the blade and the thickness of the aluminum. In mine, the material is thicker than the kerf, in yours I am guessing it is thinner.

I definitely like your method especially if it isn't at the end of the blank. Where you have it on the above pen it makes perfect sense and adds a nice flow, leading the eyes down toward the tip of the pen.

Hmm, I'm not visualizing it yet... I will have to give this a try and actually see the result I think.
I am sorry, I wish that I could think of some way to explain it better but trust me, it does work out!

Top Bottom