Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Thanks Scott, have it.....[:)]

But don't press me for any hard facts, becasue a pinch is less than a scoop,
and a gallon use to be .36 cents not 2.59 [:D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

OK... I have no experience here, just noodling this thing thru a bit (what's that smell?)...

As far as a mould goes, how about making moulds from heavy aluminum foil? You could make square corners, thick enough for one or two blanks "deep" as you need... less waste? The catch is how much swirling you need to do when the goo is hardening, and how robust the container has to be when swirling... ???

Does that make sense? (leave me alone Mudder and Tom [:D][;)])
You shouldn't pick on ignorant people, anyway! [:D]

PenWorks

Mike, the smell is fairly intense, enough to wear a resporator if you want. Some it does not bother, I read here if you fart allot you won't even notice the smell. [:D]

I did the foil molds, spend the 2-5 dollars for any type of poly mold, it is worth it.
The foil sticks to the PR, and it leaks, and it moves around when you stir. To me it was a pain. There is no really good reason to have to engineer something that you can buy for 2.00 Just my opinion.

Fleabit

Exellent addition to Pickens article. It cleared a couple of steps that I would have to have learned by "just going for it". Thanks again for taking the time to write this and take the pictures. Between the two articles, there should be no problem casting our own Unique colors and styles.

Daniel

Thanks Anthony,
the additional photos are worth a million words. and the timing of the ingredients will help eliminate alot of experimenting on my part. looks like i was on the right track with my thinking.
Looks like I'll have to improve my Powder collection though.

rtgleck

What a great write-up Anthony. Thank you very much. I had purchased a gallon of PR at a local plastic's place that was decently priced, and i was trying to figure out how to do everything else. Looks like this is the ticket. Thank's for posting, I might give it a shot this weekend since I can't finish my dresser (stupid weather).

PenWorks

Thank you all for the nice comments, they are appreciated.

I didn't think we had that many hop heads here trying to catch a buzz from the PR Fumes [:D] I guessed wrong. I hope this article doesn't cause an imbalance in the OZONE layer this weekend. [:)] Happy casting.....[8D]

woodguy1975

I was on the edge of ordering the materials to do my own castings. Your article really did push me over the edge. I'm even going to check some of my local craftshops for PR so I can get started early.

Thanks again,

John

its_virgil

Michaels or Hobby Lobby has it, but is is $22 per quart plus catalyst ($6.95)vs $28 per gallon including catalyst from artstuf.com...
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodguy1975
<br />I was on the edge of ordering the materials to do my own castings. Your article really did push me over the edge. I'm even going to check some of my local craftshops for PR so I can get started early.

Thanks again,

John

dozuki

i haven't tried to do a casting yet and want to make sure i have the correct supplies. The only clear resin i saw on the site you reccomended was over $100. am i looking at the right stuff. thanks for the help

PenWorks

Here is the link, under epoxy & polyester resin PR-1009 $28.00
http://artstuf.com/epoxy-polyester-resins.html

The cost is actually 33.00 for a gallon which includes the hardener

dozuki

I haven't tried casting yet but I can't wait to give it a whack. your article is a great help. I just want to make sure i have the right supplies. i went to the web site you reccommended and I can't find the the resin you used. the only clear resin i could find was over a hundred dollars. Am i looking in the wrong spot? Thanks for the help.

jenamison

Hey Anthony, your article pushed me over the edge also. I should be getting my materials in maybe tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time with the article.
I do have one other question. I saw that you check your pour every five minutes until its right. Is it right when it holds the swirl you put in or is there another way to tell if the pour is ready to be swirled and also is this when you put in the pearl essence? Thanks in advance.

Mike

PenWorks

Mike, there are a bunch of different techniques you can use, depending on what you want the outcome to be. You will be able so see & feel right before it gells, that's when I give it the final stir and hope the swirls hold. Also, when the gelling starts, there is not much time before it really starts to set up. I do this on most of them even when I am not adding the pearl drops. If I mix the white pearl powder in my cup then a little die, you will get nice patterns as well. I can bable on about it, but you have to do your first one to see what I mean. Hope this helps

jenamison

Yes it does..I hope to get my stuff in tomorrow. BTW is anyone around Tallahassee, Florida doing any casting? I guess you put those final pearl drops(if using on that casting) right at the end when you do your final stir. And do you also put white pearl powder in your inital mix and use pearl drops at the end or just one or the other?

PenWorks

The pearl drops did not give as much highlight as I had hoped for, still looked good , but not the effect I wanted. You will have a better result using the white pearl powder with a color die and leave it at that. But you can try anything, that's what's fun about it.

jenamison

Ok, good. I was worrying about just starting and having to wonder when to do the swirl and the drops at just the right time. Now I will just worry about the swirl. One last question about that...Is the right time to make a swirl when its pretty hard to run the stir stick through it or will it still be fairly plyable? Sorry to go on and on about this, just getting excited about doing something new.

Mike

PenWorks

I swril right before it gets real tacky. Sometimes they fade away, but you really don't know what you have till you turn it. A prayer to the casting gods don't hurt either.[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom