How expensive can a pillow be...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

A few days ago, Merissa and I were discussing the issue of a bed upgrade and some better pillows. In obvious that we both have enough problems with our backs and necks and, the bed we have been resting on, was a rarely use, queen size that we got from the Salvation Army, almost 9 years ago for $150.00 a very soft bed that is the type that suits our backs the best but, we are not small people and the mattress construction an materials used were far from being much to speak of but, in between reinforcing the frame and legs on the mattress base, rotating it and turn it upside-down, was not much we could do and the sleeping nights have been a very uncomfortable event for a long time, getting up feeling like a semi-truck has rolled over you, a few time over so, we decided that we couldn't continued like that.

So we went to the closest Harvey Normal shop to look for a bed and some better pillows, the ones they advertise as neck supporting. The bed size had to continue to be Queen as we don'y have room for a King so, we had a good look around and the dozens of set beds they have in that very large place.

We had to seat down in one of the store couches in shock with the prices, I don't know how they can justify most of the prices and what they can me made of to worth prices as hight as $12,000, nothing under AU$2,500 :eek::eek::frown:

So we said, ok lets see how much a couple of decent pillows would cost, we asked the shop lady if she had any of those pillows advertised to support the neck while sleeping, I thing they call them "memory foam" or something like that...!

She said yes, we have plenty of those, follow me I show you where they are. So we did, and she had some that are specially for people to try so, she put them on one of the soft beds close to us and asked us to lay down and see how they would feel.

Some were a little too dense, some were a little to soft so, when Merissa and I felt that we had the pillow with the right density for us (slightly different), she said that the price is the same, regardless of density so we said, can we have one of each of the ones we selected as suitable for us...?? sure she said, she walked away a few yards and brought 2 pillow folded as a cylinder and inside a clear plastic cover/bag so, we started to walk towards the check-point and I decided to have a look at the front of the bag to see if the price was there, and it certainly was, I stopped pretty fast and Merissa looked at me and asked, why did you stop...???

I looked at her and asked her to check the price that was in the tag, she did and she asked, is that form the 2...??? I said, Mum the tag is on each pillow so that price is for each...!:mad: AU$229.00 per pillow :eek:, yes,. that's right...! so, we walked back, gave the pillows back and got out as quick as we could, to get some fresh air and breath a little, we were in total shock, twice over so after a few minutes, we had enough and drove home 60km away, we just didn't wanted to try any other store, and get more surprises.

We have achieved nothing from that trip (last Friday) and that was disappointing, we both have problem with the old bed and Merissa since diagnosed with the Rheumatoid arthritis, that bed is killing her so we need to do something but, I'm not sure yet, and this is the reason why I started this thread, to basically ask, in today money, how much can one expect to pay for a soft bed design to people like us and how much would a pair of pillows also design for people with spine/neck problem, to cost...???

I have to admit, I never had a brand new bed, they were always display/test beds or a bed that did had little use. As for the pillows, we always had the normal stuff, nothing over $30 or $40 bucks so, I'm either totally out of reality on this stuff or these things are now that expensive.

To note that, I may could find the cheap stuff the one we lived with for far too long, not only, not helping with our backs and therefore causing us lots of bad sleeping nights and lots of extra body pains (particularly the neck) but, with the age creeping out on us, together with the body deteriorations experienced, we are looking for something that is better and more suitable for our conditions but, still being affordable to us so, if you guys and gals have some experience with these matters, and have an idea what fair prices I should expected to pay, I would like to hear from you...!

A little guidance please, is all I ask, we will take care, from there...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

George; Haggle!!!! ASK if you buy the bed would they throw the pillows in? Tell them you are going to visit other stores in the area. Take their business card if they have one. Get them to write the prices on the back of the card.

You may be able to find a memory foam "topper" to put on your present bed. I have also in the past gotten a sheet of plywood to add between the box spring and mattress for added support.

Look for a used bed. Don't know if there is a Craigslist in AU, but check local newpapers for estate sales. Sometimes you can get a bargain. I got a PHASE II quick change tool post and holders for my metal lathe 2 weeks ago for $15. The guy that beat me out on the metal lathe I had my eye on was distracted by purchase of the lathe.

My wife and I bought a Queen sized bed about 15 years ago for $3000 USD and they were more than happy to throw in the pillows. We also got 12 months deferred interest. I started saving money and before the time was out, we paid off the bed with no interest!

Last edited:

tim self

Yes George, I've experienced the bed and pillow sticker shock syndrome. And to top it off, about a week after purchasing the bed/pillow combo, LOML decided she didn't like her $100+ pillow.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Price is always a consideration and since your in Australia a lot of what we have to choose from doesnt help you. However it was once pointed out to me that we will spend $30k+ on a car or truck but balk at paying $2000 for a bed. And most of us spend more time in bed than driving in a car. If you cant sleep or you wake up hurting its time to invest in a decent set of mattresses. That doesnt mean I think you should spend $12,000 AU.

low_48

Not much different than the option of being able to pay $250 for an ink pen, or 25 cents for an ink pen at the office supply is it?

manik

What about looking at a water bed? The latest use multiple cylinders that lay next to each other lengthwise and you can fill one side firmer then the other. My wife and I have used a water bed for many years and really like it.

Another idea is to take a look at the Sleep Number beds, they use air to fill cylinders on either side.

I have slept on one a couple times in hotels and I found they were nice to sleep on.

I do know the sleep number beds are used in hospitals so they can be adjusted for each new patient and a quick look at their web site showed a real basic mattress for 600 USD.

Amazon has some of the memory foam pillows for around 30-50 USD.

I don't know if this helps, but I hope you can find a solution as not sleeping well sucks.

carlmorrell

I bought some expensive pillows. My reason was I spend 1/3 of my life in bed, so it should be a good experience. I love my pillows and don't regret paying a lot for them.

tangoman

Mattress advice

Mate, money spent on a quality mattress isNEVER wasted !!!

We spent $3000 nine years ago on a latex mattress it's as good now as it was then. We both have physical jobs and regularly have aches and pains from that, the mattress actually helps our recovery - if you've got the money -invest it in a quality mattress.
Try Spotlight for cheaper pillows that are well shaped !

Regards,
Cam

Tom D

The way I looked at it the last time I went matress shopping was, if you pay $3000.00 for the mattress and keep it 9 years that works out to about $0.91 per night for two people to get a good nights rest and feel good the next day. Thats not to bad!

robutacion

I appreciate all the opinions given so far and I can say that, 20 or 30 years ago, I would have looked at the issue in a very different way and I never really put some serious thinking of the advantages of having the best mattress and pillows one can afford. I also recently found out how common is for people to invest on a quality bed and they invest on a car or a house.

What I mean is, buying the best one can afford, is far from being good enough in the majority of cases, most people can't afford what they need and payment arrangements are made to make that possible. I too, never had much of a buying power but, manage to always pay for what I've got, a bit at the time, and like most of people, no doubt.

There is no doubt that we have to consider that option to get something that is made to conform with physical problems such as ours and since our first day looking/pricing, a lot more work was done in that regard and we have a much better understanding of the present "average" prices for quality sleep hardware, we had no idea of how much it could cost, reason to out dismay when we got the first prices but, when I hear people that have already paid $3,000 for a bed 9 or 10 years ago, I'm not so surprised of the prices I was given, really...!

I just needed to know, how much people believe, "reasonable" to pay for such items and I suppose, I was reminded and quite rightly that, the amount of hours we now spend in bed, is double or triple that what we had before, and I have no hesitation in confirm that is indeed the case.

The other aspect that needs to be considered is that, I have found out that, many manufacturers of quality mattresses have invested good money and time in develop beds that are specially design for people with spinal injuries/problems, these beds are more expensive than most common beds and that is what we have to consider, is no point in spending/investing good money in a bed and pillows that are most suitable for people without any major physical difficulties and instead, just a place to to lay down and have a sleep, we need much more than that, and now more than ever so, and after passing the initial shock of today's prices, we will need to invest on something that can helps us to have a decent nigh sleep and not causing any further damage to what we have already so, thank you very much to giving the motivation to convince myself that, we need to buy something above "normal/average"

I wonder, did you guys convinced me or, I endup talking myself into it...???

Either way, it worked for me, thanks...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom