How do you clean Beall buffing pads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

I've used mine quite a bit, and of course they have some black gunk on them, which hasn't caused too much of a problem, only on light woods like maple which I rarely make. How do you clean the Beall (or any wheel-type) pads? Wash them? In what?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

NAW..get 60-80 grit sandpaper and press against the wheels as you turn on the lathe..may take a few pieces per pad....don't use too much red/white/wax..won't gum up as fast

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I take a piece of 1x1 inch wood (about a foot long) and run the sharp corners up against the spinning pad. Takes off the thick stuff.

And, I no longer buff my pens with the mandrel and bushings. Take the pen OFF the mandrel, make a piece of wood dowel that fits snugly in each type of pen (sierra, jr gent for me usually) Then buff. The wood dowel will NOT turn your wheels black.

Then you don't HAVE to clean your wheels!!

bitshird

I use a "wire" brush to comb out the gunk.

Peter is close to right, Most jewelry supplies carry a buff rake, in a pinch you can use an old handsaw blade, it removes the crud and exposes clean muslin or cotton which ever the pad is made from, just lightly press the saw against the pads, the regular buff rakes have a bunch of sharp points about a1/4 inch long, and equally spaced, a coarse wire brush would do pretty well also, but you need to expose some fresh muslin or cotton to hold the new charge and not scratch the finish which is what the old dry hardened compounds will do.

hewunch

Use a new wire brush that is dedicated for use as a buffing rake - not one that has been used to clean rust off a piece of metal or greasy dirt off a piece of machinery.

Where is your sense of adventure man?!? :biggrin:

I have done the low grit paper before, it works in a pinch, but I have been thinking about getting a rake. Then I stopped using it so much, but now with the necklaces I am using it more, so I think the rake is in order.

Top Bottom