How do I fix?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have been using a black background for my photos for some time. Foe me it seems the easiest way to get clear pictures since I am not a photographer!! But I recently noticed that on shiny platings the black is being absorbed/shadowed into the plating and making the pen look grossly under-turnd ( See picture). What is the best way or is there a way to eliminate this? I am using an iPhone for my camera.
Thank you in advance!

IMG_5911.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I use a tan background. Nib is a bit out of focus but I made an angled "ramp" to put under the cloth to put everything on an even plane. Photos taken with a tripod.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 93

MedWoodWorx

I use a piece of white cardboard (in a makeshift lightbox) when photographing dark coloured platings. These pen kits are really tough to photograph correctly;the angle of the pen is crucial imo. I use my phone, maybe a proper camera with manual focus would be better. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_195010.jpg
    IMG_20220523_195010.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 84

keithbyrd

Thanks for your input - I am really hoping to keep a black background - I think I would have to change all my pictures so they would be consistent on the website - Im hoping there is an easy technique/trick to accomplish on the black!l

Woodchipper

Not sure if I posted this before but this is what I use: Harbor Freight clamp lights, curly Q bulbs, wife made covers to soften the light, tan cloth. I also have grey and chocolate brown cloth but never used them. I can use the cabinets and doors to move the lamps for the best effect. Camera is a Canon T7 and a 18-55mm lens; AV setting on the camera. I will take several photos and pick out the best. Any editing is with Photoshop Elements 2021.

Attachments

• IMG_6523.JPG
    IMG_6523.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 73

Dannv

You need reflective cards, black and/or white to give form to your metalic parts. I use a real camera with a card with a hole cut in it for the lens if I need a reflection in front and light from the back, not the front (I am using a large softbox.) You can see a lot fo my pen photography at https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzXHC5/ . It's pretty basic. For the dark background, I am using a large light in back with a dark card in the middle and letting the light from the edges light the image. Makes it a little more interesting than a solid black. For the light background I have a piece of white melamine the pen is on and no dark card in back. On the white, I can move black cards around to get a dark reflected edge where I want it. (that means the card has to be farther back than the pen.) I could go on and on, but not sure how much you can do with the iphone or how much you'd want to learn. If you're interested in the dark backgrounds, it's a simple variation of dark field lighting.

jrista

This thread may be of help.

keithbyrd

You need reflective cards, black and/or white to give form to your metalic parts. I use a real camera with a card with a hole cut in it for the lens if I need a reflection in front and light from the back, not the front (I am using a large softbox.) You can see a lot fo my pen photography at https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzXHC5/ . It's pretty basic. For the dark background, I am using a large light in back with a dark card in the middle and letting the light from the edges light the image. Makes it a little more interesting than a solid black. For the light background I have a piece of white melamine the pen is on and no dark card in back. On the white, I can move black cards around to get a dark reflected edge where I want it. (that means the card has to be farther back than the pen.) I could go on and on, but not sure how much you can do with the iphone or how much you'd want to learn. If you're interested in the dark backgrounds, it's a simple variation of dark field lighting.
thanks for the info - I will play around and see what happens

Top Bottom