How do I cut this (or do I)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

Well, I am one of the jillion residents of the SF Bay area who are ordered to shelter in place for the next three weeks (at least). Accordingly, I am looking for some long-length challenges on my PM2020 lathe.

My question concerns several pieces of Cherry that I got from my neighbor's front yard some months ago. I have never tried turning a rough cut hunk of wood like this before. It is 14 X 14 X 7, and I put Anchorseal on it as soon as I brought it home. (Picture below).

So how do I cut/trim this before mounting? I assume that at least to start, I will use a Wormwood screw.

I have turned other bowls, including some large ones, but never a rough-cut like this. Your suggestions are most appreciated.
IMG_0457.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I made myself a number of cardboard circle templates from 2.5" to 10" diameter. When working with rectangular stock, I use the largest template that fits the blank, draw a circle with a Sharpie, then trim it on my bandsaw. I just use the marking as a guide so I don't over trim. I don't try to make the blank round, just a little roundish with 1/4" to 1" margin depending on the size of the blank.

PenPal

Like Don,s selection of this URL,should be fun to turn I presume still wet so allowing a safe way to return after a drying time always pays dividends. This Isolation in various countries some firms here are refusing cash.Its a safe guess that does not happen with tradies as I suspect it is universal they prefer the anonmity of good old cash money.

Kind regards Peter.

lorbay

I do the same as Edgar above except I knock the corners off with my electric chain saw. Then I mount it as Lyle did above in his video.

Charlie_W

Don't try to make the bowl diameter the full length of this chunk. Even though you sealed the ends, there can still be some minute splitting. Plan on losing an inch on each end minimum.
Also, I can't tell from the pic but make sure the pith does not end up in the bowl....it will start a split/crack.
Of course, slower speed, good tenon, sharp tools and common sense.
This should be a breeze on your PM2020
Good luck

Like Edgar, I have a number of templates cut from pressboard for my bowls that I use to determine the diameter.... I would cut that block at about 12" (the largest size my lathe will turn) then put a face plate on the top side (I don't have a lot of confidence in worm screws), make my tenon on the bottom and mount in my 4 jaw chuck and hollow it out. I tend to hollow to finish size on all my bowls blanks since most of my wood has been sitting in the yard for a good amount of time... if it feels wet I'll run it through the microwave a few cycles.

donstephan

While I use a screw chuck a lot, on a blank that size (and corresponding weight) I would use my Oneway 6" steel faceplate with a dozen or so hex head #12 sheet metal screws to turn the outside.

Top Bottom