How can I sharpen this large roughing gouge with a jig?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Freethinker

I have a Rude Osolnik (sold by Henry Taylor) 1 3/4" shallow roughing gouge and can't figure out how to sharpen it on my jig.

The gouge has a rounded profile rather than being straight across like most roughing gouges.

I have the Wolverine jig, and the skew attachment also, but it will only allow a small portion of the bevel to contact the grinding wheel.

Anyone have this same tool/same problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I think you will need the Varigrind jig(for the welverine stystem) if I understand what you mean by rounded profile. Or, learn to sharpen by hand without using a jig.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I have a Rude Osolnik (sold by Henry Taylor) 1 3/4" shallow roughing gouge and can't figure out how to sharpen it on my jig.

The gouge has a rounded profile rather than being straight across like most roughing gouges.

I have the Wolverine jig, and the skew attachment also, but it will only allow a small portion of the bevel to contact the grinding wheel.

Anyone have this same tool/same problem?

Freethinker

Thanks for the answer, Don.

I'll look into the Vari-grind....it seems like i saw one on the web that a guy made out of wood, .....i may try that.

KenV

Sounds like it is a continental style gouge. It can be used for roughing and for finer spindle work.

I took a look around to try to find a picture. Found descriptions as a "German Gouge", which is a "continental gouge". Big heavy duty spindle gouge with moderate wings. It can be hand ground. I have a Glazer/HiTech one that will not fit in the varigrind jig.

Top Bottom