Houston area meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
It's been some time since our last meeting. Anyone interested in hosting one or making arrangements for a location for one?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'd be interested in attending, but I'm not able to host a meeting myself right now. I'll be glad to stop off at the SW Houston Woodcraft store & see if we might be able to hold a meeting there sometime if you'd be interested in that. I could also check if one of their instructors would be willing to do a demo.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I spoke to Randy, the SW Houston Woodcraft Manager, this morning. It will be no problem for us to hold a meeting there - we just need to confirm the date & time and give him an idea of the number of attendees.

The classroom is available on Sat April 16 & April 30. I suggest about 10 am to 2 pm. There is a Subway nearby where we could get a lunch platter - probably about $5-$8 per person depending on how many attendees we have.

SO, to get things started.....
Which of those days would you prefer?
What kind of demos are you interested in seeing (or presenting)?

Edgar

Davidh14

I would prefer April 30. The 16th is my sons birthday party.

I consider myself fairly new to turning. I'm sure anything will be a learning experience.

Quality Pen

I spoke to Randy, the SW Houston Woodcraft Manager, this morning. It will be no problem for us to hold a meeting there - we just need to confirm the date & time and give him an idea of the number of attendees.

The classroom is available on Sat April 16 & April 30. I suggest about 10 am to 2 pm. There is a Subway nearby where we could get a lunch platter - probably about $5-$8 per person depending on how many attendees we have.

SO, to get things started.....
Which of those days would you prefer?
What kind of demos are you interested in seeing (or presenting)?

Edgar
I'd love to see a metal lathe demo (if they have one)...

Other demo's I would be interested in is kitless type work...

IF I can go then typically Saturdays afternoon'ish are best as opposed to morning since I have to drive about 2 hours to get there!

If there's anything you think I can do to help then just let me know!

Pete275

April 30th would be good for me, should be able to do that easily. Kitless demo would be good also some kind of segmenting demo would be fun!

Wayne

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Ed,
Go ahead and set the date for April 30.
Now, any volunteers to a demo on kitless pens or segmenting? Any other demo suggestions?

More4dan

I am also interested in attending. I use a metal lathe. iI I can answer any questions, I would be happy to.

Danny Clarke

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I will call the manager of the SW Houston Woodcraft store on Monday to confirm that we would like to meet there on April 30.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
OK Folks,
We are set for a meeting on Saturday, April 30 from 10am - 2pm at the SW Houston Woodcraft Store (11707 S. Sam Houston Parkway W., Houston, TX 77031).

It looks like we have at least 8 people who are tentatively planning to attend. Please post a reply in this thread if you are definitely planning to attend so I can give the WC folks a good count a few days before the event.

Also post your requests for demos and also let us know if you would like to present a demo. So far we have requests for kitless & segmenting demos. I don't do either of those, so we definitely need a volunteer or two to make those happen. Any other requests?

Be sure to post any other suggestions for the meeting: pen swap, blank swap, etc.

I will bring donuts in the morning & there is a Subway nearby where we can get sandwiches for lunch. A sandwich platter will probably run us about $5-$7 per person depending on how many people we have. Bring your own water or soft drinks.

Let's make it a fun & educational day. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.
Edgar

Pete275

Hey Ed,
Mind you I don't really expect it to happen but I was thinking we could invite Gordon (flyitfast) down to show off his World Trade Center set, and also invite Mark James to bring the IAP collection down. I know these are longshots but hey its worth a try! I just thought of someone else that would be more likely to come and would be fun and is right here in Houston, Doc Shreenath (Wizard), his work is pretty amazing and it would be fun to hear a little about his process.

Wayne

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hey Ed,
Mind you I don't really expect it to happen but I was thinking we could invite Gordon (flyitfast) down to show off his World Trade Center set, and also invite Mark James to bring the IAP collection down. I know these are longshots but hey its worth a try! I just thought of someone else that would be more likely to come and would be fun and is right here in Houston, Doc Shreenath (Wizard), his work is pretty amazing and it would be fun to hear a little about his process.

Wayne

I like the way you think, Wayne.
Although the chances are remote, I will certainly send a personal invite to Gordon & Mark - you never know when someone just has to make a special trip to Houston. :)
A visit with the Doc would also be special fun - I love his work!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Exciting news: flyitfast and the WTC are coming

I got word from Gordon (flyitfast) in San Antonio last night. He and his wife will be joining us for the Houston chapter meeting on April 30 and they will bring the World Trade Center pen set along to display at the meeting.

Gordon & his wife will head down to Galveston after the meeting to visit their granddaughter who is attending A&M-Galveston.

Thanks Gordon! We are really looking forward to meeting you & your wife and this opportunity to see Steven's masterpiece.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Attendee list

So far we have the following who are planning to attend our meeting on April 30:

Davidh14
HeartofaPen
JeffT
Pete275
More4Dan
Sub Vet 10
Monty
Edohmann
flyitfast & wife

Please post in this thread if you are planning to come but are not already on the list. I'd like to give the folks a tentative count tomorrow so they will know about how many of us to plan for. No problem though if you won't know until the last minute - we just need a general idea for planning purposes.

Just a reminder - the meeting will be from 10am to 2pm. Ending time is soft - you're welcome to stay longer & visit or shop.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Meeting Activities

Here's what I have planned so far - additional suggestions are welcome:

1. Bring something to show off - pens, bowls, anything.

Gordon is bringing the WTC pen set which will no doubt be the highlight of the display. Monty is bringing some of his cheese slicers. I'll bring the Magnum Sierra bottle pen that I made for the Difficult Pen contest.

2. Pen Swap

We will have a true PITH at the meeting. If you'd like to participate, just bring a pen and we'll drop them in a hat (or box) and each participant gets to draw one out.

3. Blank Swap

If you'd like to participate, just bring 1 to 4 nice pen blanks along. We'll drop them all in a box and take turns drawing them out one at a time. You get one turn for each blank you put in.

4. FOOD!

I'll bring donuts to kick off the meeting and we can get a sandwich tray from Subway for lunch. Cost will probably be about $5-$7 per person for lunch. The Subway is only a block from the Woodcraft store - I'll stop by there to make arrangements & get more specifics.

Bring your own water or soft drinks. Woodcraft usually has coffee brewing - I'll confirm that for our meeting.

5. Welcome Gift

I recently bought a box of blanks from the personal stash of Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman). I will bring some of these blanks along and everyone who attends will receive one as a little welcome gift for attending the meeting.

If anyone else wants to bring a little something to share, please feel free to do so.

6. Turning & Demos

I don't have any firm plans for this yet, but we should be meeting in the classroom, so we will have access to several lathes and all the other tools & supplies. If we get bumped from the classroom for some reason, we will meet in the wood room & can still have 1 or 2 lathes for our use.

Monty will show & describe the cheese slicers for those interested in making these.

They don't have a metal lathe, but More4Dan uses one and has offered to answer any questions that anyone might have about metal lathes.

If anyone does kitless pens or segmenting, please bring along some samples and do a little show & tell for us.

If you have any other requests for demos, please let us know or we will just wing it.

7. Fun & Fellowship

This is the best part -- just getting to meet each other and talk about pens & turning and solving all the world problems is what I enjoy most.

Once again:
Saturday, April 30 -- 10 am to 2 pm at
SW Houston Woodcraft
11707 S. Sam Houston Parkway W.
Houston, TX 77031
Phone:(281) 988-9449

Here's a view of their location. It's on the west side of Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Parkway), first exit south of Hwy 59 (Airport Dr. exit). When you take the Airport Dr. exit, get to the far right lane of the feeder road as quickly as possible, but be sure to watch the feeder road traffic carefully. Their yellow box truck will be in front of the store if it's not out on deliveries, so that's a good marker. Let me know if you need specific directions from a different direction.

See 'ya there :):):)

Edgar

Attachments

• Woodcraft.jpg
    Woodcraft.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Quality Pen

Damnit! Don't want to miss it sounds like out will be the coolest meeting yet! Even though i can't be there thank you ed and Monty for putting in such an effort!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Damnit! Don't want to miss it sounds like out will be the coolest meeting yet! Even though i can't be there thank you ed and Monty for putting in such an effort!

Sorry you won't be able to make it, Bobby. We'd sure like to have you - I really enjoyed meeting & visiting with you at our last gathering.

Davidh14

Not sure if I will be able to attend this meeting anymore. Went on a vacation(cruise) last week and had stomach pains. Went to a hospital in Cozumel on Friday and found out they would have to remove my gallbladder. Not sure how I will be doing Saturday, but I'm making improvements everyday.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Oh my goodness, David. Sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad to hear you're doing better. We hope you'll be able to make it, but your health needs to come first, so take care of yourself & don't rush your recuperation.

Davidh14

Thanks Ed! Health is number 1 but you can bet I've been itching to get back in the shop. Haha. I will definitely see how I am feeling.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Ed! Health is number 1 but you can bet I've been itching to get back in the shop. Haha. I will definitely see how I am feeling.

If you can't make it though, I'll be glad to do a personal pen & blank swap with you if you like.

PPK

Count me in as well. I will be bringing a friend. (two people total).

As you may notice, this is my first post. I have been reading and learning from you all for some time now. I appreciate all the work that has gone into the documentation and explanations for us newbies.

I look forward to meeting all those that can come.

Justin

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Count me in as well. I will be bringing a friend. (two people total).

As you may notice, this is my first post. I have been reading and learning from you all for some time now. I appreciate all the work that has gone into the documentation and explanations for us newbies.

I look forward to meeting all those that can come.

Justin

Great to hear, Justin. We are looking forward to having you both join us. And welcome aboard!!

EN Pens

I would love to be there and do a demo or something and see all the great turners, but we leave for a family celebration in Minnesota on Thursday. Have a fun meeting and I look forward to the next one.
Regards, to all,
Ed Nagel (EN Pens)

Turned Around

Man I wish I could make it. My side of town and everything. Haven't been to a meeting before, sounds like fun. But obligations won't let me go this time. Hope everyone has a good time. Remember to post up some pics and stories.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
We are confirmed for Sat morning at 10am at the SW Houston Woodcraft. Looks like we'll be meeting in the wood room, but they will set up a lathe for us to use.

If you want to turn a pen or two, it might be a good idea to cut & tube them before the meeting so you don't have to wait for glue to dry. If you want to turn a bowl, stopped, pepper mill, etc etc you can either bring your own blanks or buy some at the store. We can just go with the flow on demos & instructions depending on what folks want to do when we get there.

I do hope someone will bring a segmented blank or two along and at least talk us through the process.

There's still time to post any specific requests you might have.

Ed & Nic - sorry you won't be able to make it -- safe travels to you & we'll see you next time. Maybe we can start doing these more often.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
With all the flooding over the past week and the prediction of rain and floods at 70% for Saturday, do you think we should to postpone this meeting? I just PM'ed Ed about this and I, like Ed, don't like Houston roads when it's flooding. Please post your thoughts below or PM me so we can make a decision by tomorrow.

Davidh14

I will not be able to attend Saturday. So I don't feel as if my opinion really matters. But if it gets rescheduled I will probably be able to attend.

PPK

After a closer look, I vote to reschedule. Any decent storm will cause me to bail. The ground is fairly saturated right now.

Top Bottom