Houston Area meeting - July 17

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Since there were exactly 0 votes for July 10, looks like our next meeting will be July 17 at my place in Pearland. I figure we can start about 1PM and go till???
A few things to take care of -
1 - What demos would you like to see?
2 - What demo would you volunteer to do?
3 - Not planning on a meal, so would you like to have snacks, ie brownies, cake, cookies, chips and dip, drinks? (We can do adult beverages, but remember you will have to drive home).

Post below if you are planning on attending and your answer to the above questions.
I'll get maps out to everyone closer to the meeting date. And to those of you that haven't been to my place, my shop is air conditioned.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I've given notice that the 17'th is Dad's day off, so unless something drastic ends up happening, I'll be there.

I'd really like to see a discussion on how to accurately align the tailstock and headstock tapers on a mini lathe. I'll even bring a patient for the procedure :) Seriously, if an extra jet mini would help, I'll bring it anyway.

I don't think we really need me doing "how NOT to get the result you are wanting" demo's

I'm all for munchies, I'll bring something if we decide to. Or, I can bring coffee and fixings if somebody want's to supply a pot. (mine's plumbed in and not portable)

Last edited:

penfancy

I'll supply some chips and dips. Salsa?, Hot as you can stand. 12pk of beer and 12pk of cokes. I can bring a coffee maker too if that will be enjoyed.
About demos...I'd like to see the process of a closed end or a kit-less design come to fruition. I've got a work sharp 3000 I can bring for anyone that might want to see it in action and sharpen a dull tool. I'd also like to learn more about chucks and collets (but that is part of the kit-less lesson).

shawnmhill

I would love to come if at all possible. I like the idea of sharpening. I wish someone would show me what I need. It just seems so damn hard to sharpen my tools. This is all still new and I'm trying to learn. Thanks guys

Shawn

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Shawn, I'll bring my JoolTool...it really is easy!

I'll also bring some queso fundido (queso dip with meat in it) and chips to go with that salsa!

As for demos, I still haven't worked up the courage to try casting anything onto a freakin tube, despite having several things I'd LIKE to try! I really need some hands-on training first! I've got pretty much all the neccessary stuff (I think!) in case someone wants to take a stab at getting me (and others?) to understand!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Shawn, I'll bring my JoolTool...it really is easy!
I have the Wolverine system for my grinder and a Jet wet grinder we can demo.

As for demos, I still haven't worked up the courage to try casting anything onto a freakin tube, despite having several things I'd LIKE to try! I really need some hands-on training first! I've got pretty much all the neccessary stuff (I think!) in case someone wants to take a stab at getting me (and others?) to understand!

Do you have the molds? If so, bring them and we'll do a casting demo.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
I've got a straight mold from Charlie, but not one of the resin savers. I do have some dowels to put the tubes on tho. I'll bring what I have and we'll see what, if anything, I'm missing.

I have both PR and Alumilite and several things to put on a tube.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The following have indicated an interest iin attending the July 17 meeting -
Chuck Johnson, No
epson, ???
KiltedGunn, YES
penfancy, ???
sam, ???
The Penguin, YES
Verne???
cnc_maker, ???
Halfcaff, YES
hjdiamond2, YES
Parson, YES
TheBizDoc ???
HeartofaPen YES
bigkev2842 YES

Please confirm that you are still planning on attending. Also if your name is not on the list and you want to attend let me know. I need to know so I can get maps to everyone.
So far it looks like a demo on sharping and casting. What else????
Not exactly sure what james is looking for in the way of alignment, but if he can still bring his mini, despite his recent mishap, we'll see what we can do.
As for snacks, bring whatever you want, I'm not gonna be picky.

Last edited:

The Penguin

I voted that I didn't care on the date - not that I would make it on the 17th. :wink:

I'll try to make it, but won't know for sure if I can until a few days before.

jskeen

I'll be there with my mini ( in one hand :) BTW what I was thinking about was one of those double taper alignment gadgets. Don't know if anybody has one, but if so, please bring it, or any other ideas on alignment. Thanks

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Need glue or boxes????

If anyone attending will be wanting glue while you're here, please PM me your order by noon Monday so I can make sure to have enough on hand.

Halfcaff

I'm still planning on coming! Looking forward to it. I am going to bring some extra burl blanks I have. I have amboyna, black ash, black cherry, and some spalts. I'd like to trade for anything you guys have. Does anyone have any Aussie burls?

HeartofaPen

I am new to the IAP but been turning pens for about 2.5 years. An interested in coming to the meeting and meeting some of the local turners and about some of the advanced ways of making blanks and turning. I am currently wanting to learn more about casting my own PR blanks and anything else I can possible learn.
As far as I know now, the 17th is good for my unless my better half has something else for me but would really like to participate.

Chris Jones
Hockley, TX.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I am new to the IAP but been turning pens for about 2.5 years. An interested in coming to the meeting and meeting some of the local turners and about some of the advanced ways of making blanks and turning. I am currently wanting to learn more about casting my own PR blanks and anything else I can possible learn.
As far as I know now, the 17th is good for my unless my better half has something else for me but would really like to participate.

Chris Jones
Hockley, TX.
Chris,
It would be great to have you. I'll add your name to the list.
I'll be sending out my address and phone number in a day or so.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
2 days until the meeting. If you did not receive a PM with my address and phone number, let me know (Vern, I know you know where I'm at). Several have said they didn't get the PM I sent out Monday.
Be sure to bring pens, pencils, etc for show & tell, and also bring any blanks kits and or supplies you would want to trade.

sam

If anyone is interested I can bring a selection of exotic bowl blanks.....For sale or trade. I have 6" for $10, 8" for $15, & 10" for $20. These are the prices that I am selling these same blanks to both Woodcraft stores for. Also have some 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 4 " for $2 and 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 9 3/8" for $4. These are nice for ant small projects like bottle stoppers, pendants, candle holders, ornaments, etc. These are not identified as to species, however you can refer to www.exoticwoodworld.com for examples. Thanks Sam

sam

Just thought I should mention that I have nor have I had any connection to the above mentioned web site or business........I simply bought some inventory that was left in a warehouse in the greater Houston area. All of my dealings were with the buiding owners only.........not exotic wood world people.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If anyone is interested I can bring a selection of exotic bowl blanks.....For sale or trade. I have 6" for $10, 8" for $15, & 10" for $20. These are the prices that I am selling these same blanks to both Woodcraft stores for. Also have some 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 4 " for $2 and 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 9 3/8" for $4. These are nice for ant small projects like bottle stoppers, pendants, candle holders, ornaments, etc. These are not identified as to species, however you can refer to www.exoticwoodworld.com for examples. Thanks Sam
Feel free to bring them. Someone may want some.

Parson

Hey Monty! Thanks for hosting us today. Great event. I enjoyed meeting the rest of you too, and Dan and I talked on the way home about all we learned from you all. And the pie was good too!

penfancy

Monty,

Hey Monty! Thanks for hosting us today. Great event. I enjoyed meeting the rest of you too, and Dan and I talked on the way home about all we learned from you all. And the pie was good too!
Ditto! Thanks for having us.

Halfcaff

Thanks for hosting it Monty and for all the demos! This past week I made a double closed-end based on what was talked about at the meeting. It turned out awesome. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom