Hot surprise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Had a little surprise putting on CA today. I used some Mylands cellulose sanding sealer beforehand during the dry sanding, and when I put on the first coat of thin CA, I noticed my finger was burning hot. The little plastic bag I use to keep the CA of my applicator finger had melted and fused to the paper towel with the CA in it. Apparently the sealer has something in it that works as a super accelerator.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks for the warning. . I was going to start using that sanding sealer. . Might not now.
Did the paper towel stick to your pen blank ? . Or catch fire ? :D

I wonder if waiting longer before applying CA would solve the prob. . Or maybe the chemistry is the same even after sealer fully dries.

Any idea ?

FGarbrecht

Thanks for the warning. . I was going to start using that sanding sealer. . Might not now.

I wonder if waiting longer before applying CA would solve the prob. . Or maybe the chemistry is the same even after sealer fully dries.

Any idea ?
I really like the sealer, seems to add a nice fill and depth to the appearance of the wood, so I'll probably continue to use it. I just finished three pens today and I used it for all of them, but after the first one I was more careful with the CA application (used less CA and put it on really quickly). It didn't cause the paper towel to catch fire but on the first application on each pen I noticed that the CA area on the towel was steaming (or smoking - but not burning). After the first couple of CA applications it stops heating up, I suppose because the sealer is under a hard coat of CA.

FGarbrecht

Any idea ?
You may have something with waiting. I've used the sealer on other pens, and I'm sure I let them sit overnight before continuing to sand and apply CA, and haven't seen the heating up problem before today (when I hurried through the sealer, sanding and CA all in a matter of an hour or so).

budnder

I've got some Mylands, but haven't used it in a while. What advantage are you seeing/hoping for in using it to seal rather than thin CA?

FGarbrecht

My experience is limited and I haven't done a head-to-head comparison of Mylands with CA vs. just CA. I started using the Mylands because I had some open porous wood that I wanted to fill. What I have done is sand to 400 grit with Abranet, leave the sanding dust on the blank and apply a little Mylands diluted 1:1 in lacquer thinner, rub it in with my finger and let dry. Then I sand out again with 400 and 600 grit, then do my usual CA finish. To my subjective eye, the Mylands adds some warmth and depth to the finish.

Jim Nugent

I had a mishap with CA today as well. I apparently got a bit of accelerator on my finger and then got a drop of CA on the same spot. YIKES! Lesson learned....

Top Bottom