Hot off the press!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

Pen press that is. :D

El Grande made from Purple Heart, but the color is really weak to me.
El%20Grande.jpg

And this one is a Cushion Grip click pen from Berea made from Bocote, really like the wood. Not crazy about the size of the cushion grip, it's a little big for the pen.
Cushion%20Grip.jpg

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Purpleheart coloring is all over the map from deep tan to the purple you were probably hoping for. I still think it looks great. And as for the grip on the Cushion Grip pen, someone with a little arthritis in their hands will surely appreciate a beautiful pen that feels good to them. Nice job! [8D]

Fred in NC

Very nice pens, R.T. !

I am with Jeff on this. I usually let the purpleheart bask in the sun . . . seems to like it and turns a nice color.

WoodChucker

Thanks everyone, so does the tan turn purple heart a darker shade of purple or does it make it lighter? Or maybe it changes to a different color all together? Thanks!

R.T.

Tropical

Nice pens. Ah...purpleheart... that I have some experience with. I finally feel I can make a meaningful contribution to this forum. I am in purpleheart country and having said that I have found that working with the "saka" variety better than the more commercially available purpleheart. The saka does not have as bright a purple but it produces a much nicer finish when sanded. Nevertheless, it is a nice enough purple to me. The others are correct about exposing purpleheart to light. You do this after you have sanded and then you wait for the purple to re-emerge before you put on your finish.

wayneis

RT, no matter what shade the purple is or the shape of the rubber grip is they do not hide your fine workmanship. Those are two beautiful pens.

I read in I believe it was Wood magazine quite a while ago that if you really want a vivid shade of purple the best way is to use a purple die. That way it will not fade.

Wayne

WoodChucker

Tropical, thanks for the info on purple heart and I'll keep it mind the next time I work with it.

Wayne, thanks for the kind words and the info, it's appreciated.

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom