Hope I made the right decision.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Rabchenuk

I have been thinking about upgrading my lathe for a while. I am currently using a Shopsmith Mark 5 with the Power Pro headstock. Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed using this machine for 6 years but..... there is the lack of weight for turning out of balance things (lots of vibrating) or the flex of the tailstock.
This morning taking advantage of the sale going on and free shipping at Woodturners Wonders. Paid more for the lathe up front but when you add shipping and all still saved about $200. I ordered the Rikon 30"x40" VSR lathe with sliding bed, Model 70-3040 and now the waiting begins.
If you haven't tried them I suggest you give them a look.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turnit2020

Good thing you got that Rikon while it was on sale. Rikon will be putting a price increase on their line of machines very soon.

peter1958

I didn't know the brand (live in Europe) and checked it out. Seems a very good lathe to me.
you never will regret this one!!

peter1958

I have a german brand, hapfo. Found a picture of it without extension bed.
It is a copy lathe 10" centerhight with extensionbed 86 inches between centers. the guy who sold it to me had all toys with it. Also a crosstable that i didn't buy.
On the sled a very big ballbearing is mounted with different mounting plates. Rings with different holesize can be mounted. Also a 4 sided adjustable head that works as a support that prevents swinging and vibrating.
2 copy arms that follow the template mounted to the rail behind the machine. (not mounted on the picture)
But a pen making machine it became also.

Attachments

• hapfo ap 50000m.jpg
    hapfo ap 50000m.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 154
Any Rikon stuff I have purchased (2 bandsaws and my dust collector have been really good machines. I looked at that lathe the other day ind is looks to be a great unit..

Don Rabchenuk

Any Rikon stuff I have purchased (2 bandsaws and my dust collector have been really good machines. I looked at that lathe the other day ind is looks to be a great unit..
I wish I could look at it myself. The way this crap is going, I'm wondering if it will ever come in. My delivery date has been pushed from the first week of May to now 3 or 4 pushes later to 10/8/21 as of the Rikon stock status report dated the 16th of July.

PBorowick

Ouch, you have way more patience than I have. I looked at the Rikon's and knew I couldn't wait that long. I bought the other option on my list which was the Laguna 1836 220V. It has been great for turning so far. I have done a dozen pens on it and probably 20 - 30 bowls in the last month. I have no regrets!
I will say that the Rikon is a great machine also. Would have loved to have one.

Don Rabchenuk

Ouch, you have way more patience than I have. I looked at the Rikon's and knew I couldn't wait that long. I bought the other option on my list which was the Laguna 1836 220V. It has been great for turning so far. I have done a dozen pens on it and probably 20 - 30 bowls in the last month. I have no regrets!
I will say that the Rikon is a great machine also. Would have loved to have one.
When I ordered it it was on sale at a great price and before all the price increases. Since then about a week after I had ordered it all the major companies had price increases. This lathe has gone up $1399.99 in price. For the money I paid along with free shipping to try and change lathes now would cost a fortune.

Don Rabchenuk

I'm thinking of this same lathe. Let us know what your impressions are after using it!
I was just wondering if you ever got a new lathe? Hopefully you didn't order the Rikon. I am coming up on my new delivery date again and to say I am getting excited to start turning on my Rikon would be an understatement, but I am expecting to get another e-mail with a new delivery date.I wish I had continued to save my money and bought something else when the opportunity presented itself. Maybe I could bought a Robust by now. Well enough of my my ranting. Christmas is now on it's way and I start decorating on Monday lights and music get turned on Thanksgiving day so I won't have time to continue being disappointed by Rikon. below is a letter from Rikon.
"
HI Donald,

I completely understand your disappointment, the dates are just that and we provide what is given to us from our factory. Given all the delays with no containers available, factories with limited staff, raw material availability and most recent over 60+ containers are sitting off the coast of LA and NY for 3-4 weeks without movement has been an issue for well over 10 months.

This issue is not only for RIKON but the entire industry. We are doing everything we can to provide the most accurate information and hope to see product flowing back in DC to support all the back orders we have.

If you have questions please feel free to contact me at any time.

Below is a link to a recent article regarding what is going on in the industry.

Capacity Crunch Intensifies During Peak Season (wixsite.com)

Regards,

Joe Taylor
Vice President

borderlogo1

25 Commerce Way Suite 4
North Andover, MA 01845

ie.jpg
www.rikontools.com

T: 877-884-5167
C: 781-801-4414
F: 978-528-5383

Don Rabchenuk

After a wait of 9 months my lathe has finally arrived. While I have not turned anything yet I can hardly wait. Not having to bend as much is going to be a treat. I have been turning on a Shopsmith for 6 years. This thing is a beast

Attachments

• 19B81A63-797C-41A2-97DD-4E35E808FCA9.jpeg
    19B81A63-797C-41A2-97DD-4E35E808FCA9.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 0949319C-9368-4E20-98D9-291BFCB425AC.jpeg
    0949319C-9368-4E20-98D9-291BFCB425AC.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom