Honing/stropping pastes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Does anyone have experience with multiple types/brands of this stuff? Are the more expensive ones worth the extra money? I'm using it on a stropping wheel for my Tormek knockoff sharpener (WEN) and have so far just used the goo it came with, which is probably bottom of the barrel sort of stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

I have some of the Tormek honing compound in a tube. They say somewhere that it is equivalent to about 8,000 grit. It really goes a good job.
I do not have a Tormek unit…. Too pricey for me. I made an mdf honing wheel mounted on a faceplate. With this on the lathe, I can slow the speed of the wheel and it really hones knives/chisels to a razor sharp edge. Also, I simply use a piece of solid cardboard such as a cereal box or backer from a notepad as s stropping surface and use either the Tormek compound or some yellow or green stick compound. Those work well too. I do have a piece of leather but like the stiffer cardboard….. less round over of the cutting edge and it is basically free… we normally throw this stuff away or in the recycle bin.

jttheclockman

I have the Tormek and use the stuff they recommend and it works great. I only hone planer blades. I do not bother with turning tools. They dull too quickly and not worth the effort.

sorcerertd

Also, I simply use a piece of solid cardboard such as a cereal box or backer from a notepad as s stropping surface
That's an interesting idea that I would not have thought of. Do you just glue it on to the edge of your wheel?

I do not bother with turning tools. They dull too quickly and not worth the effort.
I've heard and seen that in other posts about honing. Makes sense. I'm interested in it mostly for kitchen knives, but will probably hone hand chisels, too.

Charlie_W

As for cardboard, no, this is just flat. I don't even glue to a flat board. Just use near the edge of a bench. The cardboard is just a media to carry the compound. …and the cardboard itself has a little abrasiveness to it. I recall penturners using a brown paper bag for tuning fountain pen nibs.

Carving knives/chisels benefit from honing too. I usually try to keep one pocket knife shaving sharp

TonyL

I also used the yellow-tubed Tormek paste. I found it to last a very long time.

Charlie_W

Cardboard is used flat near edge of bench…not on wheel. It doesn't hold up long but is a free media to carry the honing compound. I recall pen turners using a brown paper bag to smooth/tune a nib and that the brown paper was about equivalent to 12,000 grit sandpaper.

I usually hone carving knives, my pocket knife and sometimes my skew.

sorcerertd

Thanks for the replies. The Tormek stuff is all on sale (Klingspoor's and Rockler), so I'm heading out to buy some jigs. Guess I'll get some goo, too. Going to need it at some point anyway.

Top Bottom