Honeycomb blank coming apart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDHals

I seem to have a problem that has me a bit baffled. Ok I casted some honeycomb material awhile back using Alumilite clear slow using a silicone mold. Then, some time later, used the honeycomb in some pen blanks I cast. Months late drilled them out, glued in tubes and began turning them. The first two went fine but the third started to come apart on the lathe. The honeycomb is separating from the other material. This is not the first time this has happened. Has this happened to anyone else? What causes it?

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 59
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Is this happening as you're turning? I've turned one that I purchased my experience was that it was very crunchy. I made very light passes and turned at a fairly high speed, it came out very nicely.

You might watch RJBWoodturner's You Tube to see what he has to say. Overall it's a very brittle blank that needs careful treatment. I think it's common that the cells will lose the material if you don't turn gently.

I'll see if I can find the link to RJBWoodturner's video.

RDHals

Thank you both for your replies, I've tried fast and slow speeds. Doesn't seem to help either way. John your explanation seems to be the ugly truth of it. Oh well, sometimes when you swing you miss the ball. Lesson learned.

Hippie3180

Get you self some alum honeycomb to make your blanks. I have used Alum for years and haven't had any problems.. I rinse alum with DA first , blow dry and cast.
This is good to know, hoping to make my own blanks in the future.

RDHals

Get you self some alum honeycomb to make your blanks. I have used Alum for years and haven't had any problems.. I rinse alum with DA first , blow dry and cast.
I'll do that. I had four blanks I made with the Alumilite, two of them blew apart as you guys saw. The other two I turned all the way down to size, sanded and they're ready to finish. The only difference was the colors. I don't like random results, it gets expensive. Off to find some aluminum honeycomb.

RDHals

I'll do that. I had four blanks I made with the Alumilite, two of them blew apart as you guys saw. The other two I turned all the way down to size, sanded and they're ready to finish. The only difference was the colors. I don't like random results, it gets expensive. Off to find some aluminum honeycomb.
As I said I had two that turned out, here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• DK18.JPG
    DK18.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DK19B.JPG
    DK19B.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 67
Top Bottom