Honest opinion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

For the guys using spray Deft, how well does it hold up long term? I have done a few with a can I have in my shop as I must agree, the FP sucks.. Not sure if I want to step up the the CA finish yet. I sprayed maybe six to eight coats and wet sanded with 1000, 1500 & 2000 followed by a mild synthetic auto buffing compound and glaze. It looks like glass, but how does it hold up? Also, what are your wait times? I sprayed it through out the day and wet sanded & buffed the next morning. What length do you all wait for all steps? How long to let it sit before "using it"
Thanks!

Turnitall

Lacquer cures by evaporation of the solvent base...
When I was doing flat work, I was taught to let a lacquer finish cure for at least 6-7 days before rubbing it out. I do that with all my lacquer finish pens also... I use Deft from a can sprayed with a HF airbrush... I do about 5-6 coats about 15-20 min apart... you don't want a real wet flowing coat... each coat of lacquer will burn into the coat below it. If you spray to heavy (especially on a humid day) you have the risk of blushing.
After the finish has cured, I generally use automotive polishing compound followed by a good automotive antiswirl cream polish (McGuires #7 or #9). This is followed by a coat of Renessaince wax..
Allowing the lacquer to cure for 7-8 days gives a nicer polish because the finish is harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom