Homemade Turning Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jewellmd

jewellmd

Sometimes these things don't have to be pretty. This is my first go with making a homemade turning tool. Picture shows my round bit EWT along with the home made square rougher and the wood that created the handle

The wood came from left over hardwood oak flooring from a co-worker. I used two pieces and routed a 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep grove into each piece and glued them together. The 1/2" solid steel came from a local metal supplier. Copper ring from Home Depot. The cutter bought from Woodcraft (I wanted it right away instead of buying it online). I needed to buy a tap set since I didn't have one. Total cost was far from buying one.

The steel is set in about 4". I wasn't able to create the 'bump' near the copper ring on this one. It'll work for roughing pen blanks and small turning projects. I'll use this tool to make a second larger version.

It's definitely functional. I was able to turn a scrap piece of Walnut in no time. It's got cosmetic flaws, but it'll work until I make a better one.

Attachments

• P1180507.jpg
    P1180507.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 226
  • P1180508.jpg
    P1180508.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 184
  • P1180509.jpg
    P1180509.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice going !! I assume that the shank is square all the way.

Last edited:

jewellmd

Shank is square all the way. It would take me forever to turn the steel on a mini wood lathe.

Now that I know the process, the next one will be much easier. It was fun making the tool, especially one that I'll use often.

alankulwicki7

Shank is square all the way. It would take me forever to turn the steel on a mini wood lathe.

Now that I know the process, the next one will be much easier. It was fun making the tool, especially one that I'll use often.

It's actually pretty easy to turn steel on a wood lathe. When I made my EWT knockoff, I drilled a small hole in the end of the stock (for the live center) mounted the square stock in my chuck and used an angle grinder to turn it round. To make things smooth, I used a file as the lathe was spinning. It may have been unconventional but it worked.:biggrin:

magier412

Nicely done! I think it looks fine with the square stock...other that looks, is there any reason to turn it round?

Last edited:

endacoz

Nicely done! I think it looks fine with the square stock...other that looks, is there any reason to turn it round?

I made a few 1/2 x 1/2 square bars and even after lightly sanding down the sharp edges on the corners i still get scratches on my tool rest when I put the Radius cutter at an angle and turn it 45 degrees for a sheer / final smooth cut. I am in the process of using 1/2 round steel bar, tapping it, and making that my radious / final cut bar and handle.

alankulwicki7

I only turned the square stock round where I inserted it into the handle. The rest is square which helps keep the tip nice and flat. On certain things I do rotate the tool to 30° or 45° to get a nice sheer scrape on bowls...

Top Bottom