Homemade Micarta

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cl1237

cl1237

I purchased the blank made from fire hose off a guy on a Facebook pen turning group for a firefighter themed cigar. It got me thinking and decided to make my own micarta of sorts out of an old pair of blue jeans. I used bondo fiberglass resin and soaked each price of denim before clamping. My clamping/press set up needs some improvement for the next round as the blank didn't come out to a uniformed size, however it was sill usable for 2 single tube pens

Attachments

• B2CAF9A8-ED61-4FF3-AAEB-8E36E4B30059.jpeg
    B2CAF9A8-ED61-4FF3-AAEB-8E36E4B30059.jpeg
    530.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 5F4FAC7C-08DA-414E-AF36-AFC299D46EE3.jpeg
    5F4FAC7C-08DA-414E-AF36-AFC299D46EE3.jpeg
    678.5 KB · Views: 151
  • A1823F91-4A0C-4458-9064-C9895B685B7E.jpeg
    A1823F91-4A0C-4458-9064-C9895B685B7E.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Nice job.

I used a simpler method for casting my version of Micarta. I found some 3/4 plastic tubes. I wet the denim in the resin then stuff them in the tubes. Pour the left over resin in the tubes then put it under pressure. The denim has no pattern when it is turned.

Use a slow cure a clear resin.

Plastic tubes for casting.

Throw in pieces of crumpled aluminum foil as you stuff in the denim for a different effect. When turning the foil will surprise you. "surprise" you.

Kenny Durrant

I really like the denim pen. Very nice pattern. The hose is nice just not my favorite. Did you have trouble with the hose fraying as you turned it? I've tried casting and stabilizing fire hose and I had those issues. Once I got to the hose it frayed like cotton and I had to soak it in CA as I turned it down. I thought it was a huge pain. After it was all said and done it looked good just not too sure it was worth the trouble. I'm sure I'll try it agian but it would be nice to find an easier method. Thanks for showing.

cl1237

Nice job.

I used a simpler method for casting my version of Micarta. I found some 3/4 plastic tubes. I wet the denim in the resin then stuff them in the tubes. Pour the left over resin in the tubes then put it under pressure. The denim has no pattern when it is turned.

Use a slow cure a clear resin.

Plastic tubes for casting.

Throw in pieces of crumpled aluminum foil as you stuff in the denim for a different effect. When turning the foil will surprise you. "surprise" you.
I like that idea, I'll keep it in mind for my next attempts. Thanks!

cl1237

I really like the denim pen. Very nice pattern. The hose is nice just not my favorite. Did you have trouble with the hose fraying as you turned it? I've tried casting and stabilizing fire hose and I had those issues. Once I got to the hose it frayed like cotton and I had to soak it in CA as I turned it down. I thought it was a huge pain. After it was all said and done it looked good just not too sure it was worth the trouble. I'm sure I'll try it agian but it would be nice to find an easier method. Thanks for showing.
Yes I had problems with it fraying. One I turned it round I frequently stoped and soaked it with thin CA to get a better cut. And it sure does soak up the CA. After I applied the finish, sanded and polished, it wasn't real impressed with my finish, probably could have used a few more CA coats, but I'll chalk that up as being new to CA finishes

Top Bottom