Homemade air filtration system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I made one a few years ago, slightly different approach but the same principal.
I just became aware of this and wanted to pass it on. If you want more information, do an internet search for: Corsi Rosenthal. Its a home-made air filtration system that I suspect would be very useful for our shops.

Corsi-Rosenthal Air Filtration Box
I just became aware of this and wanted to pass it on. If you want more information, do an internet search for: Corsi Rosenthal. Its a home-made air filtration system that I suspect would be very useful for our shops.

Corsi-Rosenthal Air Filtration Box.
i made one a few years ago. Slightly different approach but the same principal, works great.

Attachments

• 28AFDE84-8923-4F60-B222-02B715EA6EE2.jpeg
    28AFDE84-8923-4F60-B222-02B715EA6EE2.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 4C45D2D9-CF12-428F-85DD-2E7ECE0E4BDA.jpeg
    4C45D2D9-CF12-428F-85DD-2E7ECE0E4BDA.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 107

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I made one a few years ago, slightly different approach but the same principal.
I put together one like that recently to complement a ceiling hanging Wen unit, pretty cheap and seems to work quite well (at least macroscopically), with a tandem of two RPF7 filters.
I also have a Jet overhead filter (1 micron), as well as a Jet cyclone. But I am interested in both of your opinions on adding this set-up. Are you happy with it? Do the filters do what you want over a 3-6 month period? Would you build it again?

The cost - about $60-80. is minimal if it will do what intended for (plus, I get to build another shop tool!!!)

Woodchipper

The only thing good I ever found to come from HGTV was a box fan, furnace filter and a bungee cord. Wife saw this on a show years ago. Yes, it works and surprising how much dust it takes out of the air. I blow out the dust outside with the air compressor. If it looks to bad, it's replaced for a few bucks. When I'm done in the shop, I let it run for at least an hour.

KenB259

I also have a Jet overhead filter (1 micron), as well as a Jet cyclone. But I am interested in both of your opinions on adding this set-up. Are you happy with it? Do the filters do what you want over a 3-6 month period? Would you build it again?

The cost - about $60-80. is minimal if it will do what intended for (plus, I get to build another shop tool!!!)
Yes I definitely would do it again. It moves a lot of air and I usually set it just outside my workshop door. Workshop is in the basement. Cost was pretty minimal. All the wood I pretty much had. I bought the squirrel cage at Amazon. I dont know if it's the best idea, but I just vacuum the outside of the filters when they look like they need it. I have never totally replaced them, but if I need to, they just slide out.

dogcatcher

I have one like Ken made, I used a blower out of old heating and AC unit. It provides hurricane force winds that sucks the air out of my garage and into the neighborhood 's air. In the summer it sits so that it sucks in fresh ar and exhausts in the front yard. When heater is on, the air circulates through a set of HEPA filters. The rest of the time I provide dust for all off my neighbors.

MRDucks2

I have the Jet mounted overhead. Thing I do is take my higher end home air filters (the pleated ones that are 4" thick and cost $35-$55 each) and save them when changing them out of the house air handler. I then mount the in front of the 1" pre filter on the jet. They may need changing in the house but remove a blue ton of dust in the shop before needing to throw them away permanently. I expect they would work well on one of these, also.

jrista

I have the Jet mounted overhead. Thing I do is take my higher end home air filters (the pleated ones that are 4" thick and cost $35-$55 each) and save them when changing them out of the house air handler. I then mount the in front of the 1" pre filter on the jet. They may need changing in the house but remove a blue ton of dust in the shop before needing to throw them away permanently. I expect they would work well on one of these, also.

The double pre-filtration...does that have any impact on the ability of the Jet overhead to cycle the air in the shop? I have one of those as well, and it does a pretty good job creating an air loop that flows through the shop and back to the Jet air filter. I do notice that when the pre-filter starts to get clogged, it can have a fairly big impact on that overall airflow through the shop...

I usually keep my HVAC air filters for a while before they actually get thrown out. Curious if its worth putting them on the Jet... I do find that my blue pre-filters (which are now $35 each themselves...they used to cost $15) get clogged pretty quickly these days... I spend around $18-25 for the 1" thick HVAC filters for the highest two grades (the highest being those ultra clean, HEPA compliant, odor-eliminating ones).

MRDucks2

The double pre-filtration...does that have any impact on the ability of the Jet overhead to cycle the air in the shop? I have one of those as well, and it does a pretty good job creating an air loop that flows through the shop and back to the Jet air filter. I do notice that when the pre-filter starts to get clogged, it can have a fairly big impact on that overall airflow through the shop...

I usually keep my HVAC air filters for a while before they actually get thrown out. Curious if its worth putting them on the Jet... I do find that my blue pre-filters (which are now $35 each themselves...they used to cost $15) get clogged pretty quickly these days... I spend around $18-25 for the 1" thick HVAC filters for the highest two grades (the highest being those ultra clean, HEPA compliant, odor-eliminating ones).
Not that I have noticed so far. My have a good layer of dust and will be changed next time I have a project but the surface area of the portion of the home filter is much greater than the intake size. They load up pretty well before affecting airflow.

sorcerertd

I would expect that a cheap box fan motor wouldn't hold up long term with that much resistance. Obviously, a better fan would cost more. A lot of the squirrel cage fans are designed for units that filter air, and would be more up to the task. I remember Ken posting that a while back and liked how it was done. I definitely need to up my DC game. Have been thinking of connecting to a dryer vent exhaust to just move it outside.

Madman1978

The Air quality here is the worst in this place. The heating system, Steam radiators, has been painted so much I can not control them.
This looks to be a good idea.

Top Bottom