Home Test Kits????????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now maybe I missed a post or two and they were deleted but I think our moderator stepped on the brake a little too quickly. Why was the topic shut down? I did not read anything in their about anyone giving medical advice at all. They stated some personal happenings and the question was a legit one. If you want to put a warning in there that is fine but to shut the topic down is suspect. Again maybe I missed something. Covid is the #1 topic on everyone's mind and should be. It is effecting us all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

It's still there . . . in the Forum called "Casual Conversation"
Yes but Andrew shut it down and no one can reply to it. The only reason I am interested is because I just had this discussion last night and was thinking about getting these home tests also.

How many discussions happen here about people having knee replacement or back surgeries and eye surgeries and people talk about their experiences.

MedWoodWorx

In Greece you can buy these so called self tests at a pharmacy and are also given to schoolchildren to monitor themselves before going to school. These are antigen tests, meaning that they detect the immune response of the body. In order for this to happen a few days should pass after the initial exposure/infection, so that any antigenic response has reached detectable levels. Pcr tests detect the virus itself not the immune response.
Keep in mind that, as another member pointed : the results rely on the proficiency of the person swabbing. i.e. If the swab has too little saliva the test's result will be negative most of the times. If you have covid-like symptoms consider yourselves as infected and protect others from contact (this is the official guideline given to health professionals). Bear in mind that there is not such a thing as a 100% accurate test.
I am writing these for the sake of this conversation, although i am not a doctor myself, i hold a postgraduate degree in health science, i work as a freelancer and also part time at the family run pharmacy (my father and my sister are pharmacists). I have done hundrends of tests these years and i can confirm that their valibilty, when performed correctly, is more than decent (~80-90% accurate).

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Now maybe I missed a post or two and they were deleted but I think our moderator stepped on the brake a little too quickly. Why was the topic shut down? I did not read anything in their about anyone giving medical advice at all. They stated some personal happenings and the question was a legit one. If you want to put a warning in there that is fine but to shut the topic down is suspect. Again maybe I missed something. Covid is the #1 topic on everyone's mind and should be. It is effecting us all.

Why is it "suspect", John?

No posts were deleted. Yes, the original question was about test kits, but then a post was made with a link to the "Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance", an organization that does dispense medical advice and promotes controversial treatments for Covid. Rather than wait until the thread degenerated into chaos, it was closed. That's a judgement call, but the topic is beyond casual conversation. Much different than talking about actual experiences related to knee surgery or hip replacement.

Feel free to discuss test kits.

jttheclockman

Why is it "suspect", John?

No posts were deleted. Yes, the original question was about test kits, but then a post was made with a link to the "Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance", an organization that does dispense medical advice and promotes controversial treatments for Covid. Rather than wait until the thread degenerated into chaos, it was closed. That's a judgement call, but the topic is beyond casual conversation. Much different than talking about actual experiences related to knee surgery or hip replacement.

Feel free to discuss test kits.
Your the boss Jeff. I accept it. Then please close this one down too so that it does not go down the same path.

WriteON

I opened the thread only out of personal interest and wondering about others results with a rapid test kit. …. But not looking for any medical advice what so ever. I have light symptoms… tested negative then positive with a home kit. Today I took a PCR. In response to Medwood I think my first test was not accurate due to poor swabbing. Not sure what there is to discuss here other than be careful and look for the proper testing. Thanks JTT for reopening and Jeff for the courtesy of letting it carry on. We're a good group here… things tend to stay on track…. and I support the administration deleting at their discretion.

Last edited:

penicillin

Yes but Andrew shut it down and no one can reply to it. The only reason I am interested is because I just had this discussion last night and was thinking about getting these home tests also.

How many discussions happen here about people having knee replacement or back surgeries and eye surgeries and people talk about their experiences.
There is a difference.

The knee replacement and back surgery threads happened to the penturning members here. Sometimes those conditions affect their ability to turn pens. They are our friends and we can sympathize and offer advice.

A generalized thread on "Home Test Kits" has nothing to do with penturning or any specific member. It is just random "chit chat". It would be little different than a thread titled, "Crochet Hooks" or "Paving Stones", except that this thread touches on a topic that is highly charged and politicized.

Here is my personal opinion:

With respect, this is a penturning website. While it makes sense to have a "Casual Conversation" forum, Penturners.org was never intended to be used as a primary social media outlet for off-topic threads. If you want generalized chit chat, try Facebook, or Reddit, or Twitter, or Instagram, or TikTok, or any other common social media platform. I note that 15 of the last 17 threads started by JT were in the Casual Conversation forum.

-> I move that this thread be closed. It is not related to pen turning, and it is overtly political.

jttheclockman

There is a difference.

The knee replacement and back surgery threads happened to the penturning members here. Sometimes those conditions affect their ability to turn pens. They are our friends and we can sympathize and offer advice.

A generalized thread on "Home Test Kits" has nothing to do with penturning or any specific member. It is just random "chit chat". It would be little different than a thread titled, "Crochet Hooks" or "Paving Stones", except that this thread touches on a topic that is highly charged and politicized.

Here is my personal opinion:

With respect, this is a penturning website. While it makes sense to have a "Casual Conversation" forum, Penturners.org was never intended to be used as a primary social media outlet for off-topic threads. If you want generalized chit chat, try Facebook, or Reddit, or Twitter, or Instagram, or TikTok, or any other common social media platform. I note that 15 of the last 17 threads started by JT were in the Casual Conversation forum.

-> I move that this thread be closed. It is not related to pen turning, and it is overtly political.
I wish you the best health in the New Year. Stay safe.

penicillin

I wish you the best health in the New Year. Stay safe.
... and I wish you the best health in the New Year, too! Stay safe.

-> I continue the motion that this thread be closed. It is not related to pen turning, and it is overtly political.

MedWoodWorx

i am a newcomer to this forum and so i feel a bit intimidated when things heat up between older members;but i want to say this because i can tell that things start to go sour without a serious cause.
Yes the home-testing topic is in many people's minds
Yes it is off topic since this is a penturning forum
Yes Jeff was right trying to stop the conversation from escalating in a bad way
Yes this is subjective but there is no other way, unless a robot starts picking up/banning words instead of a person

Lets focus however that we all want to keep on turning and in order to do that, we need to be well in body and mind.
There is a lot of pressure on everyone the past years/months/weeks, try to blow some steam on the lathe.There are many things that divide us but also things that bring us together; this time all of us share the same fears more or less. Chillax everyone. fighting each other won't make things better, trust me i am Greek: we ve been fighting each other on and off for the past 3000 years or so..
cheers

WriteON

I'm speechless. How is it political. I'd apologize for opening it to begin with but I have no agenda, not looking for answers...just having a friendly bar room conversation. I'm very ok if the thread get closed again and deleted. Casual Conversation does not have to be pen related does it. I thought it was off topic conversation. Maybe the thread should be shut down and deleted. No reason to clash over this. BTW... I had a shoulder replacement 2 years ago. My pen turning is better than ever. My pool playing is as good as ever except if I have to elevate the cue. I move to shut down here also if the subject seems to be out of line to some....but how is it political? Maybe remove the Casual Conversation forum and keep IAP a fully dedicated pen forum.

Last edited:

penicillin

"... but how is it political?
Is it necessary to respond to this question? Anything related to the pandemic in a public forum has become political.

Either close the thread or don't. If the thread lives, carry on without me. I have done enough hijacking damage already. It was never my intent, and you have my apology for that. I'm done.

WriteON

Is it necessary to respond to this question? Anything related to the pandemic in a public forum has become political.

Either close the thread or don't. If the thread lives, carry on without me. I have done enough hijacking damage already. It was never my intent, and you have my apology for that. I'm done.
Penicillin… I'm at peace with you and everyone here. No apologies needed. Back to pen turning. That's where I'm going. To the sacred comfort zone. The shop. The lathe, dust, noise, odors. The Holy Land. The Gift-a-Rama place

WriteON

I will conclude…. Last Sat I tested negative with a home test kit. We proceeded to socialize with our neighbors based on that test. Decided to home test again Sunday and came up positive. Took a PCR and came up positive today. Based on the negative home test on Sat I put my neighbors in harms way as I was positive last Sat while with them.
Anyway just telling my story. Not preaching, complaining, crying the blues… just airing out. Will comply with guidelines and pick up where I left off when this clears up. But that is a problem.. I was busy doing nothing … and forgot where I left off. Is there such a thing as going back to doing nothing?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I will conclude…. Last Sat I tested negative with a home test kit. We proceeded to socialize with our neighbors based on that test. Decided to home test again Sunday and came up positive. Took a PCR and came up positive today. Based on the negative home test on Sat I put my neighbors in harms way as I was positive last Sat while with them.
Anyway just telling my story. Not preaching, complaining, crying the blues… just airing out. Will comply with guidelines and pick up where I left off when this clears up. But that is a problem.. I was busy doing nothing … and forgot where I left off. Is there such a thing as going back to doing nothing?
Sorry to read that Frank. Hope you get well and do not have a very bad case of this. Same with your family. I know you had no ill intentions when you started this conversation and were just sharing and also looking for possibly a little comfort or reassurance and the topic is all around each and everyone of us every day weather you are on any political side has no bearing on what we are living through and I pray to God that someday somehow we go back to what we all were just a few years ago. I know it will not be quite the same but hopefully with science there will be a test and a vaccination or pill or something that will prevent this horrible virus. Stay positive and upbeat.

Top Bottom