Home project advice sought -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

So we have a minor home repair situation - we have a glass shower door with an aluminum channel frame. There is an aluminum strip applied at the bottom of the door to deflect water away from the door, and that also holds the vinyl weatherstripping that seals the bottom of the door. That strip attaches to the door using a couple of #8 stainless steel self-tapping screws. The threads on one of the holes in the channel that makes up the bottom of door frame have stripped so that the screw is now loose.

Option 1: replace the existing #8 screw with the next larger size

Option 2: drill a new hole next to the existing hole, and move the existing screw over. Patch the existing hole with something (silicone?)

Option 3: Pad out the existing hole with something (what ????) so that the existing screw will fit snugly.

I really don't want to replace the door, so I looking for advice on how to fix this. If the third option is the best approach, what can you suggest to pad the existing hole.

Thanks for all replies - - -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Fill the hole with silicone and put the screw in. If the screw won't tighten put a wedge under the door to push the strip up tight until the silicone dries.

JRK

Push some matchsticks (minus the head) into the hole and put the screw back in. It should hold.

I've used this method before.

Jerry

lorbay

They now make a complete plastic extrusion for glass doors, so you can get rid off the aluminum.
Lin

Top Bottom