Home made buffer, what do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Hi All,
This is what I did this weekend. Had the motor, had the arbor, had the pads, had the belt and had the time. I realize the pads aren't the correct type. I will pick up a couple of softer cloth ones as soon as I can.
It spins at somewhere in the neighborhood of 1600 to 1750 RPM's. The switch on the front controls it. It's the switch that was on the motor when it was on a drill press, so it will control the motor fine. I tossed together the box from Maple scraps I had around.
Here are a couple of picks,

200812244741_buffer%201%20700.jpg

200812244819_buffer%202%20700.jpg

So, what'd ya think? Did a good job of keeping me busy for a few hours.

By the way, is this polishing compound what I need? I know the one is Tripoli. But what about the other one, the White Finishing Rouge? Is that similar to White Diamond? Here's a pick,

200812245242_buffing%20compounds%202.jpg

Thanks for looking,,,,,, and confirming how <s>cheap</s> frugal I am.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
If the Jet 'white finishing rouge' is the same as the Ryobi 'white finishing rouge', then yes, it's basically white diamond. Why are your buffing wheels green? Looks like you been using axle grease to buff with! hehe

stevers

Not quite. Those were buffing wheels for polishing metal. I used them to polish a few shell casing also. Like I said, I need to get a couple of good ones.

I was hoping that was the correct compound. I thought it looked pretty good. The folks at the Woodworkers Emporium are not the most helpful bunch you have ever met. To busy with regulars and trying to sell machines.

DocRon

Nice job! I have a similar setup for metal polishing, I use the Beall system for wood. Just one thought - you might want to cobble together some sort of guard for the belt to keep your fingers and sleeves out of it.

barkisini

Very nice work!

Brings back memories of a similar setup I made when back in high school (many, many years ago). I used a wheel on an arbor, mounted on a board and powered by an old washinging machine motor. Not much to look at, but provided many years of service.

Yours is obviously much better looking but, as I said, brings back a lot of memories.

Again, very nice work, and use it in good health.

Cheers,

John B.

Randy_

That looks like a nice job. I would have preferred to see the switch placed at the front of the buffer so there was no temptation to reach over the turning wheels to turn it off.

stevers

Originally posted by DWK5150

Nice setup but how do you keep it from dancing across your workbench?

I clamp it down to the edge of the work bench.

Originally posted by Randy
That looks like a nice job. I would have preferred to see the switch placed at the front of the buffer so there was no temptation to reach over the turning wheels to turn it off.

I placed the switch there because I ran out of cord and didn't want to extend it.

I hope to be able to pick up some buffer wheels soon and give it a try. Thanks for all the comps.

Top Bottom