Jeer Home Depot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

monophoto

The microwave that was installed above the wall-mount oven when the house was built 12 years ago died last week. Went to Lowes for a replacement. Nothing in stock - and the appliance sales person didn't know how to operate their computer system to order one.

So we went across the street to Home Despot. Also nothing in stock - the salesman said he could order something, or we could go to their web site. Opted for the latter, and ordered the microwave, the required trim kit, and decided to purchase the installation option they offered.

Delivery was scheduled for yesterday between 10am and 2pm. Early in the morning, the delivery contractor called to report two problems:
1. They forgot to put the trim kit on the truck before it left on its delivery rounds. Promised to deliver it later in the day (which they did).
2. They were a delivery contractor only - did not do installation. It wasn't clear how Home Depot was going to do the installation that they sold and I paid for.

So I called Home Depot (twice). Naturally, there was the usual problem of getting through the telephone robot to be able to speak to a real person. But eventually, I got someone who said he had never encountered that problem, and would have to get back to me.

When I didn't get a call back, I called again (again twice). The first time, the delivery and installation person didn't know what to do, and directed me to call back to speak to a new orders person (they can't transfer calls?). The new order person was a pleasant young man who listened to my problem, and then put me on hold while he investigated. Naturally, while on hold, I was forced to listen to a series of Home Depot announcements proclaiming how wonderful they are, one of which touted their ability to install any appliance they sell. I heard that one several times, which made it even more incredible that when the nice young man eventually came back, his answer was that Home Depot could not do the installation of the appliance they had sold, even through they had sold it with installation and even though the recorded announcements they played while I was on hold waiting for an answer said they can install any appliance they sell. Instead, he offered to refund the selling price of the installation, and also give me an additional discount 'for the trouble'. Grrrr.

So this morning, wife and I start into the installation. I know my way around most mechanical things, so it shouldn't be difficult, right? Wrong! The instructions say to use the 'tabs' (plural) to align the duct to the bottom of the microwave, and then attach it with four screws. There is only one tab. OK, I can deal with that. But it also said four screws - there are four screw holes in the duct, but only two matching holes in the microwave. What to do:
1. Only use two screws. The problem is that both screw holes are on the same side of the microwave, so if I attach the duct with only two screws, it won't be secure from side to side.
2. Drill matching holes in the bottom of the microwave to receive the two additional screws. But won't that void the warranty? Probably. So I called the manufacturer - but no one answers the phone on Sunday. So I called Home Depot - they transferred me to the manufacturer.

Wife and I opted to purchase the microwave from Home Depot with installation to avoid exactly this kind of problem. But Home Depot's advertising is misleading because they apparently refuse to install the appliances they sell.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'd return it for a full refund and go to a real appliance store.

Home Depot and Lowe's are neither real hardware stores nor real appliance stores. They are handy for many things but sorely lacking in many ways as well.

Scotty

Take it back, get a refund and go to a local appliance store. The big box stores are ok for selling, but I have found they are not great at customer support. And I wouldn't take the time to blast them anywhere, but that is just me. I have found that kind of thing doesn't do me any good, nor does it seem to do them any harm.

Last edited:

Majorbdk

I agree with Terry. I would find their Twitter and Facebook pages. Post a complaint. I've had good luck getting customer service help by posting on Twitter.

George417

I'd return it for a full refund and go to a real appliance store.

Home Depot and Lowe's are neither real hardware stores nor real appliance stores. They are handy for many things but sorely lacking in many ways as well.

I second the real appliance store. I did the same thing, and let them have the hassle of installation.

butchf18a

Big box (blue or orange) will gladly sell you anything you want to buy and express how easy it is to do-it-yourself, The reality is often far removed from the claims. I have taken items off the shelf and gone to manager asked why they are selling things for DIY THAT DO NOT MEET CODE. Lesson is be careful, if you are uncertain go to a pro, its less expensive and less agravating in the long run.

Did mine myself

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 138

monophoto

Closing the loop - - -

Home Depot offered to refund the price of the installation, and also make a further price concession on the microwave. Wife and I talked it over and decided that with the holidays here, we didn't need the complication of having to shop real dealers for microwaves, and decided to accept their offer. The credit showed up on my credit card overnight.

I called the manufacturer to clarify the issue of the screw count. Bottom line there was that there was minor design change in the microwave that didn't require changes in the trim kit, so the trim kit instructions were not modified to mention that the screw count had changed. I wasn't the first person to call about that issue - wonder why they don't mention in in the FAQs on their website?

The installation wasn't rocket science by any means, but it also wasn't totally simple. The main issue was that this was a replacement installation - the original installation was done 12 years ago when the house was built. As I removed the original microwave and its trim kit, it became apparent that the builder had done a real cob job on the installation - shims and patches everywhere, and the opening in the cabinet was sloppily cut. The real shocker was that the opening that he had cut in the back of the cabinet to access the electrical receptacle on the wall wasn't in the right place and didn't line up with the receptacle box on the wall behind the cabinet. As a result, he just took the receptacle out of the box and left it hanging inside the cabinet.

Makes me wonder what else he did wrong. No - I really don't want to go there.

I had to add some minor shimming and trimming to make sure that the microwave was level, and it took some trimming of the cabinet cutout, but it's installed, and my wife can now do leftovers again.

snyiper

Working part time for a big box store I can tell you each store is different and they all subcontract out the work. The problem is the subcontractors dont only do installs for the store and are often booked with other work!!! I understand the frustration believe me just wanted to shed some light on how it happens. It could be cured by having inhouse installers that work for the same company that sells the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom