Holy cold, batman!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
There was freezing rain yesterday, so it was about 0 degrees...worked outside in the pouring rain until nine at night with a spotlight...

THis morning, buses are cancelled, -20 and windy! Ice everywhere (try using a scaffolding two stories up with ice and wind)...

Hanging vinyl siding is MUCH less fun in January :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hanging siding is never fun.

But, with a wind, it becomes a REAL adventure!! And vinyl bends----ooooohhhh
POOP!!!

tbroye

Out here in Sacramento, CA. I am having to water the lawns and shrubs. No rain since mid Nov. No Snow in the Sierra's other than what some ski resorts have made. Spent New Years Day up at my Uncles Cabin at Silver Lake, Amador County CA. 7500ft. Usually by this time it is Buried in snow utill Memorial Day. Opened it up on the lower level, turned on the Propane and Generator and watched football on the Sat System we bring up. They have to have someone patrol the area to protect the cabins from breakins. The Cabins are normally closed up between Labor Day and Mid October or the first big snow but not this year. The is a little snow up there in patches. Doesn't look good for water in the Valley this year.
We 15 people and 10 dogs and the dogs had a ball off leash the whole time.

Andrew_K99

That's supposed to come our way over night and into tomorrow morning. Right now it's 2°C (36°F) and tomorrow morning it's going to be -12°C (10°F) and snowing. The morning drive will be interesting!

AK

ve3bax

Hanging siding is never fun.

But, with a wind, it becomes a REAL adventure!! And vinyl bends----ooooohhhh
POOP!!!

it stops being fun after the 2nd time you hit your thumb with the hammer... which for me was all of 5 minutes... :mad: after that it becomes an exercise in creative colourful language :tongue:

--Dave

ps. it only bends when it's warm! when its cold it tends to crack! DAMHIKT...

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Damned glad I chose to take my bike out yesterday instead of doing siding, not much warmer but a lot more fun. Bike runs great in this weather.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
We bought the good stuff - very thick - so it hasn't cracked...but the nailing fin does every time I miss with the hammer even slightly... -40 windchill this morning...down to -28 now, with -18 core temp. so I'm going to head outside and try again.

I've thrown my fair share of tools and things in the past few days - luckily, it's so cold that no-one is outside to hear/see! :) I'll have to try swearing in Swedish so that the neighbours don't put me on youtube - (although on second thought a bearded Canuck on a ladder throwing tools and swearing in Swedish might be more apt youtube fodder!)

I checked, they haven't put it on You tube yet. :biggrin: A lot of people say Manitoba is cold but I have to agree with my Dad who said there is nothing as cold as morning in Ontario.

Dudley Young

We bought the good stuff - very thick - so it hasn't cracked...but the nailing fin does every time I miss with the hammer even slightly... -40 windchill this morning...down to -28 now, with -18 core temp. so I'm going to head outside and try again.

I've thrown my fair share of tools and things in the past few days - luckily, it's so cold that no-one is outside to hear/see! :) I'll have to try swearing in Swedish so that the neighbours don't put me on youtube - (although on second thought a bearded Canuck on a ladder throwing tools and swearing in Swedish might be more apt youtube fodder!)
WORK? What's that?

Rick P

Whats "wind chill"?.........-18 so thats what about 10F? I would wait till spring on a sidding job myself, but ya got to do what ya got to do eh!

Rick,
Windchill is a canadian way of measuring how much "nip" the wind adds to the actual temperature. If it is -15C and the windchill factor is X it will feel like it is -40. A windchill factor of 1750 means exposed skin is in danger of frost bite (by frost bite we mean your ears will go from pink to red to a funny pale white, or they will feel warm to cold to tingly to oddly warm again. And we won't talk about what they will start to feel like when you step back into a warm house.) A windchill of 2200 means stay inside or die, or in Alaskan," Cold enough for ya?" The worst thing about frost bite is the fact that whatever you froze stays bright red for a few weeks and can earn you the nickname Rudolph. DAMHIKT

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Frostbite can kill skin - in as little as thirty seconds if hte wind is screaming...

Core temp plus windchill is the real feeling of coldness...wind pulls the heat away from your body, so -10 plus 20 kph (kilometres per hour) wind equals about -18 or so...

Lenny

That brings back memories ..... I don't miss working out in the Winter weather!

Although when I did, I would have to say I prefered siding to roofing! :)

How are you cutting your vinyl? Can you keep it inside somewhere till you are ready for it ?

I found (especially when working alone and on staging) it was often easier to just cut it with aviation snips.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I have set up a mitre saw inside on a stand, and bring the siding in to cut it on that. The snips are too wimpy to cut the .48 thick siding - even my Wis snips...

Plywood blade, turned backwards - works great! (just don't forget and cut a piece of wood - LOTs of smoke...or so i hear! :biggrin:)

randyrls

I'm going to be putting up foamboad and hardy board concrete board siding this next week. But it's warmer in PA.

The thing I hate doing is using an aluminum utility knife in the cold weather. It just sucks the heat out of your hands.....

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I don't mind the cold usually - I can take the cold (except in my fingers) - i just don't like working with materials that don't like it! :)

And truth be told, I'm getting a bit tired of being in permanent-reno mode in the cold...I'm looking forward to getting warm. I think I'll be putting a woodstove in before next winter for sure!

What really gets old is that my fingers don't handle the cold well anymore...after freezing them quite a few times, they start to hurt very quickly....what hurts even more is when they start to warm up again after they've gone numb!

Andrew

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Best winter tool in the world - Carhartt arctic lined overalls...I use them in the winter when we're icefishing in the -30s...they ice up if they get wet, but they're warm as all get out!

Insulated rubber boots help too...but I have never yet found gloves that I can work with, and still keep me warm...they're either too bulky to grip a hammer or a fishing rod, or not warm enough...

Rick P

Guys I know what wind chill is.....just don't ever quote it here. Yes I know it really is more reflective of how the weather actually feels, but for some reason it's completely ironed up here.

Being on a ladder is never fun, having to be on a ladder when the winds rippin and your fingers are numb is just miserable. Hope you finish soon, it's a bit warmer for the rest of your project and you stay safe.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

Best winter tool in the world - Carhartt arctic lined overalls...I use them in the winter when we're icefishing in the -30s...they ice up if they get wet, but they're warm as all get out!

Insulated rubber boots help too...but I have never yet found gloves that I can work with, and still keep me warm...they're either too bulky to grip a hammer or a fishing rod, or not warm enough...
And that is why God made Delaware.....

shadetree_1

And I thought that's why God made Arizona ! ( Except of course in the summer when it's 115-120 F ) that's when we go up North to our home in the mountains, when it's 115-120 here it's only 85-90 there. And in the winter it's 15-20 F below there, must be my age but I don't do well with 115 F or -20 F, there is not happy medium in Arizona.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yep

And I thought that's why God made Arizona ! ( Except of course in the summer when it's 115-120 F ) that's when we go up North to our home in the mountains, when it's 115-120 here it's only 85-90 there. And in the winter it's 15-20 F below there, must be my age but I don't do well with 115 F or -20 F, there is not happy medium in Arizona.

That's the other reason God made Delaware.

Top Bottom