Hollowing Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I saw a video by Dean's Woodworking while browsing youtube, and thought this might be a cool project. So I went to Home Depot, and picked up a 5/8" steel rod, a copper cap, and a set screw. I ordered the 3/8" Ball end mill from ebay. Luckily the rod fit through the headstock on the metal lathe, so it was easy drilling. No such luck with the handle, so it's off a little. I can live with it. The handle is Padauk, sanded to 600, and finished with Walnut Oil. I could have chosen a better finish. Overall length is 21" I'm working on a beading tool tomorrow. This one was fun. Here's a link to Dean's video.
Hollowing tool 2.jpg
Hollowing tool.jpg
Hollowing tool 3.jpg

Attachments

• Hollowing tool parts.jpg
    Hollowing tool parts.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 67
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Dale:

Got demo of tool in use, interesting to see how it works.
In this video, Dean uses the tool for the first time. It appears to be tricky to use because if you rotate the tool too much, it can dig into the wood more than you would want it to. All about control. This is a better demo than I could ever do. Hope it helps.

MRDucks2

Learning curve for sure, might note it seems he was working green wood, wonder about dry timber. Following post.
Actually he mentions in the video it is dry wood, air dried outside his shop for over a year, as I recall. Don't recall the minute mark but right around when he first mentions the ribbons coming off.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Actually he mentions in the video it is dry wood, air dried outside his shop for over a year, as I recall. Don't recall the minute mark but right around when he first mentions the ribbons coming off.
Mike, thanks for reminding me of that fact. I didn't remember that when replying to Dieseldoc. So that answers that question.

MRDucks2

Mike, thanks for reminding me of that fact. I didn't remember that when replying to Dieseldoc. So that answers that question.
That is what I thought made it rather impressive. Dry wood, end grain, ribbons. They may have been shorter looking ribbons but when he hit the sweet spot they flew off consistently.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That is what I thought made it rather impressive. Dry wood, end grain, ribbons. They may have been shorter looking ribbons but when he hit the sweet spot they flew off consistently.
Yes sir. Impressed me enough to try making one. I hope I find the sweet spot.

Top Bottom