Hollow Forms - Anyone offer some training?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scjohnson243

I live near Fort Smith (Cedarville), and would really like to learn how to make goblets, bowls that kind of thing.. I have been experimenting on my own but not making a lot of real progress, (I have made some impressive mushroom projectiles) - ouch... anyway Is there anyone within an hour or two drive that would be willing to help a new guy by showing him the bowl turning ropes and allowing me to sit around and ask questions? I'll be happy to pay for your time/materials!

I have youtubed a lot, but its much easier to ask questions and watch/do with someone looking on that can tell me what I'm doing dumb before the projectile stage. :)

Anyway, I will hopefully be at the meeting on the 8/2, but if anyone would offer any one on one time, I would be happy to pay for it....

Thanks!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Just ask on the 2nd. There are several people who do bowls & such things that don't come on here very often. At the very least, they can give you some pointers.

BJohn

Another thought check out the turners groups up around Fayetteville. AAW will have a listing with contact information.

SDB777

To drag up an oldie....

Was fortunate enough to get a first hand 'demo' from a member in Cabot. Learned a lot, and now I just need to find some funding for a new toy(errr....I mean tool)! I had already chucked up a nice piece of Honey Locust and turned the outside(roughly shaping).
We turned and talked, and finally got the really large form done! I took some quick photo's, but can't remember what I did with them? Maybe he'll share??

Had some good times here and the hollowform? Well I sent it home with him as a show-n-tell item for some other day!

Scott (tools...more tools) B

wwneko

Well the honey locust started to crack and I couldn't resist throwing it on the bandsaw and cutting it in half. The result was pretty even wall thickness though too thick for my liking, and the top near the rim was the thickest area. There is progress to be made, I'll try and remember to bring it next month.

SDB777

Was wondering, since I hadn't seen any photo's of it.....
Guess the entry hole needed to be a bit bigger for the size? Or perhaps a 'allenwrench' homemade for near the entry....that the thick spot?

Guess the 'double pith' turning probably wasn't the best thought.....

Scott (halfway funded) B

wwneko

I think the hole was plenty big, we just needed some more confidence to take it down thinner. Ive turned a few hollow forms into bowls so now I'm scared to get it too thin up there. Practice is all thats needed.

Top Bottom